Starting/Stopping Recording Using MIDI Sequencer

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
billy car

Starting/Stopping Recording Using MIDI Sequencer

Post by billy car » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:25 pm

A bit frustrated trying to figure this out:

I have Sibelius music software player, producing MIDI sequence out based on a music score. I connect this to Live via Reason and Rewire mode. Reason is connected to Sibelius via iMIDI.

Now to get Live to Start and Stop when I Start and Stop the Sibelius Playback.

I know it can be done ... But the myriad of choices is making me sit here all day (again) and try this and that:

1. What do I select as Scene Launch Mode? Trigger, Gate, Toggle or Repeat?
2. How do I effectively assign the first MIDI signal out from Sibelius as the perhaps Master Scene Switch? My program keeps freezing when I try to hit the first chord, when Live is set to MIDI Map Mode ...
3. I have the ability to program MIDI System Messages in System Real Time: ~ShFA (sequencer start), ~ShFB (seq pause/restart), ~ShFC (seq stop). Do I use these in Sibelius to start and stop Live? ... as I write, Live is not the sequencer is it ... Sibelius is.
4. What do I use to trigger Live to start and stop recording?

Thanks. I'm going for a short walk ...

billy car

Towards a Solution

Post by billy car » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:52 pm

I have determined that the reason Live cannot get MIDI values assigned to its Start and Stop and Record buttons, is perhaps because Sibelius, coupled with OS X MIDI system MIDI, is sending too many messages while I'm trying to assign the buttons.

I'm trying to set up a simple Sibelius score scenario, to run and assign the buttons appropriately ...

Is there a way to manually assign the codes? what code would I want to use?

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:28 pm

yo, what part of central VA? I'm in Charlottesville. Check out my band at Dr. HO's humble Pie in North Garden on April 7 to see Live live (shameless plug). What you need to figure out it what specific MIDI signal sibelus is sending out when you hit play and stop (i.e. control change? note on/off?...), then assign these commands to the global play and stop buttons in Live. When you've tried the midi map in Live and clicked on play button in Live to map it, then hit your play button in Sibelus, apparently Sibleus is sending lots of MIDI signals where Live wants just one. Maybe open a totally blank sibelus file, and see if you can map play and stop to Live. If that doesn't work, if you can figure out what MIDI data sibelus' stop and play are sending, you could assing a keyboard or MIDI controller to output that signal so you can at least map it to Live's midi map. That is my one beef with Live's midi map--that you can't type in values. When a button or knob is sending lots of midi info at once and you try to map it to Live, sometimes it doesn't work so well. Good luck, and let us know if you get it working.

Ryan

billy car

Post by billy car » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:51 pm

... Lynchburg ... which I prefer to call Central Piedmont VA ...

anyway ... I'm working on simplifying the MIDI transfer ... have discovered a neat program in the process ... JunXion ...

Propellerhead's Reason allows manual input ... maybe I can get it Rewired to Live, and start and stop it via Reason ... then if I could just pass the MIDI sounds through, keeping the channels, and have them arrive in Live as my Yamaha's sounds ... as separate sound channels ...

will be visiting Charlottesville for my niece's art opening on Friday 2nd ... a "horse painter" ... may return for your show ...

billy car

Sibelius Controlling Live Via MIDI: A Solution

Post by billy car » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:28 am

I believe I have figured out the MIDI assignment tasks of Play, Record, and Stop by Sibelius to control Live via MIDI ...

In order to assign Sibelius MIDI out Controller messages to Live's Stop and Master Scene Clip Start (so a recording can commence upon starting Sibelius), I proceeded as follows:

Create a Sibelius score consisting of 1 Staff and 5 empty measures. Set Time Signature to 4/4, Metronome Mark qtr=40, making the staff Channel 1. On the staff, add the MIDI Controller message of "~C 10, 0", attached to the Time Signature. (In my Sibelius applications, this is the last Controller message ("Pan") that is issued, before the scores begin playing any music (sending other commands). I use this command to start Live's Master scene recording. When the score stops, Sibelius issues the command "~C 121, 0", the last one being on Channel 16. So this is the command I'll use to Stop Live.

Make sure in Sibelius you Reset Sounds, so that Channel 1 is set to transfer the proper MIDI messages to Live via Patchbay, or other MIDI link. And that the Default MIDI Messages are checked in the Playback Options ... MIDI Messages.

Now have Live setup with its proper MIDI link (I use Patchbay), and initiate the MIDI Map Mode button. Click on the Master Scene Clip, so as to be able to assign the first MIDI controller message (actually the last one in the Playback startup sequence of SIbelius) to it (the "~C 10, 0"). Now switch back to Sibelius, and Hit the Play button. Switch immediately back to Live and turn off the MIDI Assignment switch (noting, on the fly, that it has been assigned "1:10"). Then before SIbelius stops playing the empty score, still in Live, click MIDI Map Mode again, and immediately click to assign the Stop button in Live. Wait for Sibelius to finish. Then Click off the MIDI Map Mode.

You should now have the Master Clip Scene assigned as "1:10" and the Stop button assigned as "16:121".

Now one more Live adjustment: With each MIDI Map Mode assignment, you'll need to change the actual "Map Mode" at the bottom of the Live Window. After clicking the MIDI Map Mode on again, select each assigned area (Master Scene clip first, and then the Stop button), and change the Map Mode from "Absolute" to "Relative (Signed Bit)". (This may be machine type dependent). I discovered mine by experimentation. (Do one at a time). Then click MIDI Map Mode off again.

You can Save this in Live as the Template in the Preferences for future use.

You may need to experiment to get things straight or in a good orderly direction, depending on your setup ... making sure not to short circuit the MIDI links ... perhaps changing the startup controller message to something else pertinant to your scores, etc. MIDI Monitor helped me with these choices.

Now to run Live and Record whenever Sibelius Starts and Stops Playback, have the proper Live clips armed for recording, aligned with and choosing the Master scene clip. When you switch back to SIbelius, and hit Play, Live will also start, and begin recording. Whenever Sibelius stops, Live should also stop.

This is a bit intricate at first, but with practice becomes a valuable technique.

Let me know how you make out with this ... send a donation if you're really pleased with the results ... (today is actually my birthday - solving this problem was a nice gift to myself) ...

--
PowerPC 8500s: G3/500 & G4/450
OS X 10.2.8, 512MB RAM
Reason 2.5, Live 3, iMIDI, MIDI Patchbay
M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Yamaha motif ES8
Artsite: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~insighti ... t_Gallery/