Any tutorials on how to setup padkontrol & ableton?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
MusicIsMath

Any tutorials on how to setup padkontrol & ableton?

Post by MusicIsMath » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:34 pm

Got myself a pad control and im lost already lol. Cant seem to get padkontrol to send or recieve scenes from the pc, cant seem to get it runing in live6 either as there seems there's no spec for the controller in abletons list of controller options.

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:44 pm

I have not got a bloody clue how to map this into live what so ever. Are there any maps that i could poach?

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:49 pm

I have a padkontrol and Live. I don't know of any premade scenes for use in Live, but it's not hard to make custom scenes on the padkontrol. There may be software to do it faster but I do everything on the padkontrol itself. It's all in the manual.

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Fizmarble wrote:I have a padkontrol and Live. I don't know of any premade scenes for use in Live, but it's not hard to make custom scenes on the padkontrol. There may be software to do it faster but I do everything on the padkontrol itself. It's all in the manual.
I've learnt how to assign some of the ableton controls now, so thats a bonus. Im still a bit confused with it all as time for me is a precious thing, i get very little these days and taking it all in in small single dribs n drabs doesn't help much.

Do you have a dedicated scene set up on your padkontrol for running live?

Also if i wanted to set up c scale on scene 1 for example, how would i get ableton to recognise the knob controls and x-y controls to adjust the scale transpose? I've tried quite a few times now but i can only seem to get recognition of the padkontrols pads n knobs in abletons midi map if i switch to scene 15 and which is the one i've set up for use with live. ... am i missing something?

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:41 pm

I believe (don't have the gear in front of me) the padkontrol pads and knobs are assigned to midi CCs in all scenes, but one way to verify is to look at the little yellow light in the top right corner of Live, and use the pad, the light should be lit while you are using it. I do have a dedicated scene for using the padkontrol with battery 3 through Live. I have it saved and I switch to it when I run Battery. Another thought is about your free time. I have very little myself, but I think you will find it worth a little bit of time to learn how to, and make your own, scenes on the padkontrol and save them to it. The next time you approach your setup, your workflow can start immediately, because you invested a little time to learn how to configure your gear. I will help in any way I can.

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:00 pm

Fizmarble wrote:I believe (don't have the gear in front of me) the padkontrol pads and knobs are assigned to midi CCs in all scenes, but one way to verify is to look at the little yellow light in the top right corner of Live, and use the pad, the light should be lit while you are using it. I do have a dedicated scene for using the padkontrol with battery 3 through Live. I have it saved and I switch to it when I run Battery. Another thought is about your free time. I have very little myself, but I think you will find it worth a little bit of time to learn how to, and make your own, scenes on the padkontrol and save them to it. The next time you approach your setup, your workflow can start immediately, because you invested a little time to learn how to configure your gear. I will help in any way I can.
Cheers mate, it's a bit daunting at first as im not the greatest mind when it comes to midi lol.

Howcome i dont see any of the lights you mention when im on scene one which i've set all the pads c3-c5? I can play instruments on it, but cannot configure it to the midimap in live so that i can use the knobs and xy to effect the synths and scale transpose?

Also did you have audio and midi presets with live? i bought live6 and think i've installed everything but there's no presets for any of the audio effects or midi effects like arpeggio or scale?

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:07 pm

Howcome i dont see any of the lights you mention when im on scene one which i've set all the pads c3-c5? I can play instruments on it, but cannot configure it to the midimap in live so that i can use the knobs and xy to effect the synths and scale transpose?

Also did you have audio and midi presets with live? i bought live6 and think i've installed everything but there's no presets for any of the audio effects or midi effects like arpeggio or scale?
I don't know why you aren't getting any action on that light in the corner. I assume you are getting it to light when you press the regular pads, but not the x/y and knobs.

http://www.korg.com/service/downloads.a ... OD_NO=KPC1 That's a link to download the editor/librarian software, where you can make your own scenes using the computer rather than on the padkontrol itself. I assume it will have an easy way to program your x/y and knobs to CCs.

As far as your presets in Live are concerned. You should have them. I don't know why you aren't getting them, maybe a forum search would sort that out, but I would suggest perhaps a reinstall? Let me know what you find out.

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:22 pm

[quote="Fizmarble
I don't know why you aren't getting any action on that light in the corner. I assume you are getting it to light when you press the regular pads, but not the x/y and knobs.

http://www.korg.com/service/downloads.a ... OD_NO=KPC1 That's a link to download the editor/librarian software, where you can make your own scenes using the computer rather than on the padkontrol itself. I assume it will have an easy way to program your x/y and knobs to CCs.

As far as your presets in Live are concerned. You should have them. I don't know why you aren't getting them, maybe a forum search would sort that out, but I would suggest perhaps a reinstall? Let me know what you find out.[/quote]

I aint got a clue either mate, as i said, i can use them on the scene i've made for live6 but if i switch to another scene then i cannot assign them to anything its like as if it's not recieving the cc's for me to use midimap to assign them, yet i can play the c scale in 2 octives on that scene with no problems.

As for the presets, i was really hoping i wouldn't have to reinstall but i have a feeling i might just be doing that....

If i uninstall now will i have to redo my unlock business or will it all be stored still?

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:54 pm

I think you will have no problems with reinstall, you have to enter the information again. But you have a legitimate reason to install it again, so a quick call to Ableton will have it fixed up right. Though I don't think you will have to. I installed it on my home computer and my laptop as per my license agreement.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:35 pm

Have a look at the Midi prefs in Live.

the Padkontrol Port A entry (in Midi in) should have the "Remote" button activated. This should get your knobs activated.

Also definately install the newer version of the driver on Korgs website, the one that ships with the PK is quite old.

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:01 am

adventurepants_ wrote:Have a look at the Midi prefs in Live.

the Padkontrol Port A entry (in Midi in) should have the "Remote" button activated. This should get your knobs activated.

Also definately install the newer version of the driver on Korgs website, the one that ships with the PK is quite old.
Do i need to uninstall the driver that was loaded with the disc?

So what should i have in there as midi settings, which ports should be connected and in which way?

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:35 pm

under midi settings in Live check to see that the padkontrol (might be called "usb device") is set to on and remote is highlighted.