Recording in Ableton?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
craigj

Recording in Ableton?

Post by craigj » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:58 pm

I need to copy some vinyl onto my computer to use in Ableton, is it possible to record via line in in Ableton?

If not are there any decent programmes which i could do this on?

Setup:
Macbook
Edirol AudioCapture FA66

Ruso

Post by Ruso » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:35 am

it's possible but almost not worth it... the problem is that a turntable does not have a 100% constant tempo which means that it will speed up and slow down, which means you will have to manually warp the WHOLE track which can be a big pain in the ass and would take a lot of practice and skill and time to get it done.... bottom line, find the mp3 and buy it ;)

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:58 am

well, maybe if it's about dance tracks ...

but if you are recording stuf that you can't easily download somewhere else, then you can do it fine in ableton. Whereas soundforge or other audio editors might be a little bit handier when it comes to editing your recordings.

If you do it straight into ableton then record the whole LP into arrange, cut the songs into individual clips, rename the clips and consolidate. You should find the files then in a subfolder of your project-folder (*projectname*/samples/processed/consolidated if I remember correctly).

If you want you can tap along the recording, then Live will warp the recording according your tapping. This might be useful for stuff with varying speed that you want to warp afterwards.

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:10 am

A program called 'Spin It Again' is good and simple to use If you just want to turn your vinyls into Mp3's for listening to. I've got it and didn't buy it off Ebay.
Digitalising lots of records through Ableton's gonna suck the living daylights out of your hard drive capacity.

lipidfish

Post by lipidfish » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:07 pm

Don't know if its the best solution, but I've been using Audacity to create either WAV files or MP3 files. Then I just drag them into Live.

craigj

Post by craigj » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:04 pm

Cheers guys,
I was after recording a small number of records that i cant find on mp3 to use in Ableton. I was wondering if its possible to record from my deck, into ableton, via my soundcard. From the comments above it seems this can be done in the arrangement view.

If not i will download one of the suggested programmes and import the file into Ableton.

Cheers :)