Live 6 undocumented instant controller mappings...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
fishmonkey

Live 6 undocumented instant controller mappings...

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:08 am

hi there,

i'm wasting precious hours of my life getting my new CME UF80 to control Live 6 properly (on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.10)... in my cyber travails i found this article:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/09/1 ... -mappings/

anyway, i looked in the Live app package, and the instant mapping help file is there, but it seems the folder structure has changed... the help file says to create a new folder in the "User Defined Scripts" folder, but the closest thing to that is the "_UserScripts" folder... i tried a few experiments but haven't gotten anywhere...

has anyone tried this and got it up and running?

kingtubby

Re: Live 6 undocumented instant controller mappings...

Post by kingtubby » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:37 pm

fishmonkey wrote:has anyone tried this and got it up and running?
Haven't tried it, but in winXP the folder does exist.
I guess it doesn't help you but the sub-folder structure in XP is thus: 'Ableton\Live 6.0.9\Preferences\User Remote Scripts'

Mart.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:26 pm

hey thanks for this info, it totally pointed me in the right direction!

the 'secret' install help file is out of date... and they've changed the name of the folder, so under mac os x the location is:

~username/library/preferences/Ableton Live 6.0.10/User Remote Scripts

i made a folder 'UF80' in there, and copied the 'configuration.txt' file, and it now appears in the Control Surface list in Live's prefs... now to map the controllers...

i'm trying out LC XMU as well, it costs money, but if it works it will map your controller to a Mackie Control emulation which should work in all apps that support Mackie Control, which helps avoid having to remap controllers for each app, and for each plugin, instrument, effect, etc...

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:01 pm

I've recently bought Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 and find most of their Automaps pretty useless. The good thing is it's very flexible and you can change what note/CC/key commands it sends. So I'm hoping to set it up to do the following in Live:

Rotary Knob: Select Scenes (up/down)
Left Button: Previous Marker
Middle Button: Next Marker
Right Button: Launch Scene

Will this Instant Mapping script allow me to do that?
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, OSX 10.6.6
Presonus Firebox, APC40
Ableton Suite 9

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:23 pm

Depending on what exactly you mean by 'next marker', that all seems to be easy with normal MIDI-mapping, so no need for the user scripts

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:16 pm

Never mind, I've just discovered the Mackie Control trick here and it all seems to work. The Rotary Knob is awfully jumpy though. I need to find out how to adjust the sensitivity.

By marker, I meant jump to next or previous locator, like the arrow buttons at the top right of the Arrange View.
Last edited by Lephrenic on Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Presonus Firebox, APC40
Ableton Suite 9

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:38 pm

Again, the four features you listed do not require mackie emulation and are straigt-up midi mappable..

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:42 pm

Yes, I know about Live's MIDI mapping, thanks. I'm just one of those people who doesn't like doing template songs and would rather have it set by the hardware. Don't ask me why.
Presonus Firebox, APC40
Ableton Suite 9

fishmonkey

Mackie Control emulation MIDI map...

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:13 am

hey there

for those of you who want to really get into MC mapping, here is a link to site by a special soul who has thoroughly documented the message outputs of a real Mackie Control unit...

http://members.aol.com/mhigrules/MCMap.htm

also, i've been demoing LC XMU (for the Mac) and it's a pretty cool program... only problem is it's making me want more buttons and endless encoders so i can map more stuff!!! it gives you a floating onscreen display like MCU, and you can even use it to cobble a bunch of controllers together... makes remapping really quick and relatively painless... costs USD40 but seems well supported...