- hope this helps others to actually make music.
The thread contains my journey to making Controller Maps and the Control Maps I made:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 432#609432
The information here may also help owners of other Edirol devices (like PCR-M1) although they will have to make their own Control Maps based on the information contained here.
If you make a usefull Control Map, post it so others can play along...
Please note, I edit the posts as time goes by, only posting if something really new comes up.
So small "hints"/observations can turn up, without there coming a new post
- an attempt to keep the number of posts small.
At some stage I will try and make a document instead ...
If there is anything I should have or gotten wrong, PM me so I can include or change what I got wrong.
Owen Brotherwood, Denmark, 2008.
OK, got a sound out of Ableton, but how to use the knobs on a PCR?
There seems to be two methods to map controls for a PCR:
- Use a hidden feature in Ableton called "User Remote Scripts" or UserConfiguration.txt or automap http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 101#609101
- Use the "MIDI" button: MIDI Map Mode Switch (the quickest way for the PCR to control Live). Rolands Control Maps @ Roland use this technique http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 790#608790
Well, a third method is also possible, emulate a supported controller.
I have now emulation of a Tranzport for usage in "transport" type of mapping.
And one can also use Bome Midi Translator / MIDI Yoke to make the fourth solution, but I'll wait with that one as this would mean Mac wouldn't be able to use it, which would be a shame.
Check for PCR system version
At the time of writing, the following is available:While holding down the [DYNAMIC MAPPING] and [L1] button, turn on the power. The display will indicate the version.
* After checking the version, you must turn the power off, then on again.
PCR-300/-500/-800 System Program Ver.1.04
I have not been able to get the software that came with the PCR (Cakewalk Production Plus Pack, inc Sonar LE) to "work" with the PCR http://www.edirol.net/products/en/PCR-3 ... lk_ppp.pdf
- I am no way near the "with SONAR" as shown at (Sonar Home Studio 6) http://media.roland.com/en/IT/PCR_IT/index.html
So be warned, one may not be getting what you thought: but it could just be me not using enough time with Cakewalk, and going to quickly to Live ...
- so far, I cannot find any tech. specs on how it works"Dynamic Mapping” — intelligent assignment of controls
Which make possible "nice things" with Bome Midi Translator very difficult...
pcr-300 pcr-500 pcr-800