Edirol PCR-X00 Series: "Tutorial"-mapping controls

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
oxo

Post by oxo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:13 am

Thats OK

Please post wishes and comments about what the maps do, as I will be packing them again in about a week to make a clean TranZpose/automap set of maps.
Owen Brotherwood, Denmark.

email via: http://www.sitecenter.dk/o-o/sendemail

oxo

Other Edirol Devices

Post by oxo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:41 pm

I happened on a post in another forum, so I might as well indicate that the process's described i the thread should work for most Edirol PCR devices.

Read thru the thread for ideas.

As a start, make one automap in Live and one Control Map for the Edirol using the Edirol Editor for your PCR perhaps based on the TranZport emulation:

Plan which functions will be used with which buttons/knobs/etc on your controller

Make a Control Map.
Enabling the option "Display messages" gives visual feedback on the status of mappings.
Start by selecting (top)left button/knob and and use Control-F which hops to the next button/knob.

Automap functions
You may as well group things in natural 1-8 11-18 steps where possible (makes it easy on the eyes when checking).
Remember to send on PCR-2/channel 16 (CC's)

TranZport Emulation
Remember to send on PCR-2/channel 1 (Notes)

Finally, edit the automap with the values you have used.

Then make some music by turning the knobs.

Edirol PCR-1
27 Full Assignable Controllers: 8 Knobs, 6 Buttons, and 2 Pedal Ports
The PCR-1 offers 8 assignable knobs, 6 assignable buttons, and 2 assignable pedal ports. Shift button changes the assignable parameters in 8 knobs & 3 of the 6 buttons for a total of 27 controllable parameters per a control map
Roland support for Live is a "template" project and Midi Mappings.

fraserbottomley

Post by fraserbottomley » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:47 pm

Hi guys. I've just got an edirol PCR-500, and i'm using ableton 7.
However i just can't get my PCR to work with any of the automap maps, just the MIDI Map mode switch
Oxo i appreciate the effort u've put into making these maps, and appreciate you know what you're taling about, and that the fault is most likely something i'm doing wrong.
I'm a total beginner to production, and to be honest didn't think setting up my controller would be so challenging :lol: .
Like you oxo, the dynamic mapping button for sonar is also useless, it doesn't do anything at all when i try and activate it.
Has anybody else got the automap functions to work with ableton 7? thanks in advance.

oxo

Post by oxo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:47 pm

I think your question is concerning, does it work with Ableton 7.
I have a license for a Abletion (M-audio 6) and I started the automap with 6.
However, I downloaded demo 7 a couple of weeks ago, and the automaps work with Ableton (demo) 7 and should work with non-demo 7 ...

(To make the note complete concerning 7, there are extra mappings for drums that I haven't addressed in the automaps made: this is left as an exercise to the reader :) )

Please note, I can only confirm that the automaps work with Windows, as I don't have a Mac. So if you have a Mac, then post the info, and if I get time I will check that it works on my son's Logic/Mac machine (he is interested in Ableton after seeing what I was doing). There is no reason why it shouldn't ...

Some comments:
I use the latest "code" for PCR-X00, could be something there...

You should know how to download a map from your computer to the PCR and know how to save it.
You check that everything is "OK" by:
- download, save, switch off/on PCR to check save
- select the control map on PCR that you saved to
- use MIDI-map on Ableton and move a controller to see that the CC expected turns up in connection with mapping (remove the mapping again ...) I would choose PCR-Encode3 and choose PCR-X00's S9 and check that CC 69 is shown...

Having checked that the control map on the PCR works, then the most likely problem area is:
- make sure the scripts are installed in the correct place
- select the controller in Ableton preferences with PCR-2 as the input.
The preferences for the controller shows if scripts are in the correct place (Ableton needs to be started AFTER the scripts are placed in the correct place and will show up to be selected in the drop down)
http://rs283l32.rapidshare.com/files/80 ... iprefs.JPG

The above should be the correct method to get you running ...

machinedelmorte

macro

Post by machinedelmorte » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:56 am

I saved an instrument rack. Then i brought that rack into a new file and the macro set up didn't save with midi controller. I had to remap them with the midi controller again. Is there a way of saving the macro and controller set up????
Ableton 7, Edirol PCR-M30 midi Controller, Yamaha EX7, Alesis SR16

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:12 pm

about the knobs' 'centre click' - that is nothing to do with Live; its a setting on the PCR, and can be disabled using the PCR Editor app. just uncheck the Virtual Centre Click box.

[edit]
oxo already said this i see 8)

timbreland

Post by timbreland » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:08 pm

First, thanks very much oxo for posting. Can anyone confirm if these maps work with Live 7 and Mac?

fiz

Post by fiz » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:01 am

Thank you, Owen!

I'm a little late to this thread, but I found your excellent tutorial helped me grapple with my PCR-M1 and finally figure out how to get it to do more than just make notes in Live 7. Thank you for taking the time to offer this instruction. It's very frustrating that Ableton has not included the Edirol line of controllers in their supported section, as I find the PCR-M1 to be indispensible for my own use. Unfortunately, it is a huge challenge to wire it up to a User Configuration setting with no prior experience with this sort of thing, and your guided instructions made all the difference.

I just want to add -- for any other PCR-M1 owners reading this thread -- that I wasn't able to get my PCR-M1 to work using your settings. This is no surprise, as you yourself clearly said that PCR-M1 users would need to come up with our own. Fortunately, Tarekith did this, and posted it here: http:/tarekith.com/assets/pcrm1.zip .

I found that by copying Tarekith's settings in the UserConfiguration.txt file into my PCR-M1 editor (and then loading them into my controller), my controller is now actually, finally, amazing...controlling Live. After over 5 hours of busting my brain over this tonight, it's nice to not go to bed bloodshot and frustrated.

For folks as new to this level of tech detail as I am, it might be helpful to point out a couple of things I've noticed in trying to make this all work for me:

First, the PCR editor that Owen uses in his tutorial is Version 2, recently posted by Edirol (in Sep. 2007 - here (Mac on this particular link) -- does not work for the PCR-M1! So, not only do you need to come up with a different CC# mapping system than Owen, you also need to use the older, crappier editor. (Why Edirol has neglected to update an editor for the PCR-M1 escapes me...but their lack of support in this instance fails to impress me.)

Second, Owen's instructions specify designating all CC#'s by Midi Channel !6, and routing them through Port 2. Tarekith, on the other hand, designates all CC#'s by Midi Channel 0, and routing them through Port 1 (which can be adjusted in the PCR editor). This turns out to have made all the difference in my case. (Maybe also worth noting: I then tried changing Owen's settings with Tarekith's MIDI Channel 0 and Port 1 info, just to see if that would work. It didn't. Why? Because the CC#'s themselves map differently to the PCR-M1 than they do for the PCR-300. Owen's settings do not translate.)

With the above in mind, if you do happen to have a PCR-M1, and want to create a default setting in Live that will enable it to control volume levels for 8 tracks, 8 macro parameters for anything you click on, and more, try Tarekith's settings. They should work.

mpeg5

Re:

Post by mpeg5 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:53 pm

fiz wrote: With the above in mind, if you do happen to have a PCR-M1, and want to create a default setting in Live that will enable it to control volume levels for 8 tracks, 8 macro parameters for anything you click on, and more, try Tarekith's settings. They should work.
I try and try and try... and fail doing this for my PCR-M1. :evil:
First, Tarekith`s link is not working anymore. Second i am afraid, my englisch is not goot enough to follow all your thankfullly provided tips...

@fiz: whould you mind to post your mapping?

fiz

Re: Edirol PCR-X00 Series: "Tutorial"-mapping controls

Post by fiz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:43 pm

mpeg5 --

I hate to say it, but for some reason, my settings no longer work either!

I think it's best to manually map the knobs and buttons to individual Live sets. It doesn't take very long, and you can use one mapped set as a template for others.

- Chris

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:03 am

his has been really helpful In part!) thanks
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

mpeg5

Post by mpeg5 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:37 am

fiz wrote:mpeg5 --

I hate to say it, but for some reason, my settings no longer work either!

I think it's best to manually map the knobs and buttons to individual Live sets. It doesn't take very long, and you can use one mapped set as a template for others.

- Chris
Thank you for the reply, Chris!
You are right, i thing i stop wasting my time an do what you suggested!

fiz

Post by fiz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Also, if you really want to have control over your sets for not very much money, there is always the BCR2000, which IS supported by Live and is very easy to use. They cost about as much as the PCR-M1.

The Covert Operators have a great, free interface program for the BCR2000 that makes it very versatile as well. Lots of fun, little pain. After all the hours you have spent trying to get the PCR-M1 to work, the BCR2000 should be a piece of cake.

- Chris

mpeg5

Post by mpeg5 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:57 pm

The only thing is - the BCR2000 is not a keyboard, and not very mobile.
The reasons why i bought a PCR M1

fiz

Post by fiz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:56 pm

Right...

Maybe a FaderFox would do the trick?

I've come to value my PCR-M1 as a solid, portable keyboard controller with a row of assignable knobs. Anything more than that...I need to spend more money on more gear.