Transfer Midi-Data from Reason to Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
flippo2007

Transfer Midi-Data from Reason to Live

Post by flippo2007 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:09 pm

Hiho!

I was working with Reason only and i want to transfer my songs to live now.

What i really would like to do is to create small 4- to 8-bar midiclips of my songs instead of importing the whole midi-notes from the entire song into one loooooong clip in live.

Do you have any ideas how to do it in a quick and good way without becoming crazy? The optimum would be the possibility to copy/paste between the reason and the live sequencer....doesn´t work though.

Thank you for your time and help,
Flippo

solovox

Post by solovox » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:28 am

Highlight the exact midi sequence in Reason you want to move to Live. Go to 'File' and then 'Export MIDI File.' Place it on your desktop or wherever you want. Now use Live's browser to navigate to the desktop or wherever and Live will see the file...just drag it to the track you want.

I used to do this all the time to re-work REX files using Live's sequencer instead of Reason's far inferior sequencer. But now with 'slice to MIDI' there's not much need...
Live Show Rig: MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Motu Ultralite

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

flippo2007

Post by flippo2007 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi Solovox!

I´ve got to try this again...the last times i did it that way, reason always exported the whole song as midi-data in different lanes for each instrument (ignoring the clips i made in reason and consolidating all the notes to one large clip in live).

Thanks for the input,
Flippo