Session view: getting clips in a scene to reset fx and sends

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Bierman

Session view: getting clips in a scene to reset fx and sends

Post by Bierman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:25 pm

firstly, I've searched the forum and the manual, and got roughly 20,000 results for "clip reset effects" here, so forgive me if someone else has asked this (*which I'm sure someone has*)

the whole techno thing these days is to have creeping, progressing walls of synth paramater modulation and effect sends culminating in a massive droning terrifying wall of noise, and then dropping tightly down to just minimal groove, fucking off all the reverb, envelope release times... ie very wet quickly into very dry.

so, for example, I'm using my midi controllers to send that synth to more and more reverb (pre-fader send), ducking the mixer volume of that, increasing the reverb decay time, increasing synth's low pass filter cutoff, and so on.... and then I fire the next scene and I want the paramaters back at a 'normal level': sends back to nil, cutoff at half way, reverb decay somewhere sensible. you get the idea. I'd also like to bypass some effects completely (device off)

well for one you can't seem to have device off in a clip's envelope, only in the arrangement envelopes.

some effects such as filters allow you to draw an envelope which sets the filter at +/-50% of the current cutoff position, not exactly what I want... whereas others, eg the flanger resonance, just sets an absolute value which your midi controller then cannot change.

what I want is to be able to send a quick-fire, one shot "reset parameter x to value y" message to various devices, and then continue tweaking those effects from that point onward, unimpeded.

can anyone help?

Seyser Koze

Post by Seyser Koze » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:13 pm

I'd usually do those kind of things once I've recorded to arrangement view and use automation to get the parameters where you need them and when.

have you tried automating in the clip envelopes if you want to keep it in session view?

abletonian

Re: Session view: getting clips in a scene to reset fx and sends

Post by abletonian » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:41 pm

Bierman wrote: the whole techno thing these days is to have creeping, progressing walls of synth paramater modulation and effect sends culminating in a massive droning terrifying wall of noise, and then dropping tightly down to just minimal groove, fucking off all the reverb, envelope release times... ie very wet quickly into very dry.
can you post a snippet of the kind of music which contains such sonic behavoir, please? id like to learn . i seek knowledge

Bierman

Post by Bierman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:31 pm

Seyser Koze wrote:I'd usually do those kind of things once I've recorded to arrangement view and use automation to get the parameters where you need them and when.

have you tried automating in the clip envelopes if you want to keep it in session view?
you haven't read my post very carefully... :P the whole point is its a live performance, so I can't use the arrangement view. and I can't get the desired effect by using clip envelopes : mainly because you can't turn fx devices off, and the way the other parameters behave using clip envelopes is odd (see my first post again)

abletonian: www.dartlocationaudio.com/mp3/Trentemoller_Clip.mp3

not the best example of what I'm talking about... would have to scour a mix or two, but you get the idea.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:09 pm

I think the problem is that you want to be able to control all the parameters with your controller then use one button to say set sends to 0 and reset effects right?

my go to for things is Bomes midi translator. i'm getting the pro version asap.

the other thought is if you have all your effects on the return track couldnt you use the sends to control levels map out the controls you need on the effects and then have one slider mapped for all your wet return volumes and slam it down when you launch the clip that you want dry?

then run through and reset all your controls real quick..... bomes would be better hehe.

http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/

here is a link for bome's

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:40 pm

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:56 pm

thats like one of those slap myself in the head and say Doohp!!! things lol

that cuts down on my number of return tracks for sure :)

the more routing options the better

big sloppy wet kiss for ya!!

Bierman

Post by Bierman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:19 pm

yeah, racks look nice... I'm on V5. But will upgrade to 7 in a few months once Ableton have got their shit together and ironed out the bugs I keep reading about here.

And Bomes is a PC only application, right? I'm on mac. I've got something called midiStroke - I guess I could map a whole load of keyboard strokes to one midi controller that will turn off a whole load of devices. That'd probably do the trick.