Reverb Tailing

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
eggnchips

Reverb Tailing

Post by eggnchips » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:53 pm

Whats the best way to let the reverb on my vocals tail for a while say at the end of a chorus into the verse. With the verse not containing so much reverb.
Split into 2 tracks maybe?
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

Seyser Koze

Post by Seyser Koze » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:17 pm

Use automation to vary the delay feedback time, extend when you need it and drop it when you don't.

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:25 pm

By this means though I have to keep leave the reverb on meaning that the verse creates feedback too. True?
Last edited by eggnchips on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MUHK RECORDS

sxezskoz

Post by sxezskoz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:06 pm

place the reverb on a return track and automate the corresponding send on the vocal track when needed.
SXEZSKOZ.com
Jumping higher and living forever since '84.
myspace + facebook + twitter

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:33 pm

Split into two tracks is the easiest way.

But you could do this all on one track by creating a rack, having two chains inside that rack, one with heavy verb and the other with light reverb, and placing a utility plugin before each. Then you could automate the Utility plugin to mute or unmute input to the reverbs as needed. Muting one Utility would not mute the reverb tail it was in the middle of, the way a shift in wet/dry or changing a single instance of Reverb might dramatically do.

sxezskoz

Post by sxezskoz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:37 pm

laird wrote:Split into two tracks is the easiest way.

But you could do this all on one track by creating a rack, having two chains inside that rack, one with heavy verb and the other with light reverb, and placing a utility plugin before each. Then you could automate the Utility plugin to mute or unmute input to the reverbs as needed. Muting one Utility would not mute the reverb tail it was in the middle of, the way a shift in wet/dry or changing a single instance of Reverb might dramatically do.
that is quite clever, i need to use racks more. chinese new years resolution.
SXEZSKOZ.com
Jumping higher and living forever since '84.
myspace + facebook + twitter

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:22 am

Thanks, I'll try that 1 track method.
MUHK RECORDS

Ryan_Earnhardt

Post by Ryan_Earnhardt » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:46 pm

I think the best way is with a rack, but not with utilities....

Map the two chains to "0" and "127" of the value knob, and have it fade back and forth. This way you don't get any pops by turning stuff off and on like you might with a technique with the utility. This is simular to making a "wet/dry" version of say the Choruse, by fade back and forth with in the rack between one chain with chorus, and an emptry chain that is the "dry" part"

...in this way you can go between two different verbs, and color each with difference EQs too, which could be cool.

Ryan

particle

Post by particle » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:41 pm

you could always put a gate on the end of your reverb so that once it goes under a certain volume, it fades the tail out making your mix not muddy and still be able to clearly hear the reverb. just make sure the reverb is on a return track and give the gate a fairly long release time..but not too long.....there is a sweet spot

mrzosonp

Post by mrzosonp » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:49 pm

return and automate the send for the vocal track.
do you think a vintage laptop would sound better?

obstacle02

Post by obstacle02 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:43 pm

why dont you just record the bit with the reverb on into a new audio track, and then turn the reverb off and let the original part play when you don't want the reverb?

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:54 pm

It´s a shame you can´t tell live to trigger the reverb automatically when the volume of the source sound drops down to a certain level. Or even better, scaling the reverb according to the volume of the source sound.

I´ll post this video of fruity loops once again, where the guy does just that:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lBNveKGyI24

I thought maybe with a flipped gate you could trigger the sound when dropping below a treshold, and then you would simply arm two similar tracks with the source sound, one with a gate and the other with a flipped gate and behind it the reverb. Then you would play the sound on the 2 tracks simultaniously, and once the volume drops under the threshold, the track without reverb would silence and the other would play the reverb.

Unfortunatly, this doesn´t work, because the gate effect in the flipped mode lets all sounds pass through that are under the treshold, even when the threshold is beeing surpassed by the total volume. The flip mode never totally mutes a sound, unlike the normal mode.

This leads me to a question: How does the gate effect filter the loud and the silent parts of a sound? Isn´t the volume the result of the all the sounds within a sound together?

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:24 pm

Hm now I played around with it a bit and the method I described works now. Didn´t work before because I had the release time too short. Weird behaviour, I don´t quite get it. But the results of this method arent totally satisfactory.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:58 pm

Naram

Post by Naram » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:53 am

As a music producer grounded in Dub, I think you should always have a reverb in a return track. Then if you want to emphasise reverb in a part just twist the send knob to add more of the vocal track to the reverb unit. (its way easier to do it by hand then by mapping it out with a mouse and far more organic)

Alternatively, why don't you just automate the reverb length (tail) for that part?

As for having two tracks or side chaining e.t.c, why would you bother making it that complicated when its such a simple task? :?: