Imogen Heap - Just For Now - Repeating/Looping

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:18 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
michaellpenman wrote: looping in live is easy and if you want looping just record them and trigger them simple as that.
Try it before you say it.

How would I overdub the middle of a loop one 1 track while keeping the original start/end intact?
i do it why else would i say it u tool... i've just been recording and mangeling vocals just now

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:26 pm

michaellpenman wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
michaellpenman wrote: looping in live is easy and if you want looping just record them and trigger them simple as that.
Try it before you say it.

How would I overdub the middle of a loop one 1 track while keeping the original start/end intact?
i do it why else would i say it u tool... i've just been recording and mangeling vocals just now
Ah namecalling.. Doesn't quite answer my question though.
Sure you can record a loop. Live is a damn loop player.
But how do you replace a quantized section of a loop by just recording over it in the same track. If thats actually possible in Live, then why would anybody need the electrix repeater?

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:56 pm

michaellpenman wrote:mmmm no its not just for midi

It's for MIDI and automation. It doesn't work with audio. YET.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:58 pm

hoffman2k wrote: But how do you replace a quantized section of a loop by just recording over it in the same track. If thats actually possible in Live, then why would anybody need the electrix repeater?

As hoffman2k is well aware, you can't do that yet.

See the extensive thread in the general forum asking for sound on sound overdubbing (Mr Henke can we please have a looper?).

BassTooth

Post by BassTooth » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:11 pm

do you think she's using in-ear monitors? and possibly a metronome?

i know i would.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:10 pm

forge wrote:she's amazing

it seem slike maybe a track with clips sending one note each out through a loopback to the scenes, the first one with no note just a follow action to the next clip with the first note, then trigger each scene with follow actions that way changing the record arm button from track to track each time with another note in the loopback clip
Wow, i didn't understand any of that!

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:12 pm

So we're all in agreement here:

This cant be done with Live... yet.

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:17 pm

please see this vid guys.. i think it's what you want to do.. i use this trick myself..

http://revision3.com/xlr8rtv/willits/
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

forge

Post by forge » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:40 pm

Aequitas123 wrote:
forge wrote:she's amazing

it seem slike maybe a track with clips sending one note each out through a loopback to the scenes, the first one with no note just a follow action to the next clip with the first note, then trigger each scene with follow actions that way changing the record arm button from track to track each time with another note in the loopback clip
Wow, i didn't understand any of that!
sorry it was a bit jumbled

if you use a MIDI loopback, like IAC, MIDI yoke or loopbe to loop the midi out of one track in to Live's remote so the notes from any clips on that track can be used to trigger scenes, then you can set follow actions on the clips so that you can automatically trigger scenes or a pre-determined length without pressing a button

then you make 2 notes in the clips - one to trigger the scene, the other to record arm the track you want to record on

then you can step through the tracks recording clips to them one by one

if you also use the random plug-in set to 'alt' then you can rig it up to chromatically move up the scale so that you dont have to create a million clips

tone deft and pepe#$%@ (sorry cant remember the rest of his name! :oops: but he's posted in Tone's live looping thread) have posted some cool threads on live looping in Live

no you cant overdub directly to a clip, but you can set up something to effectively do the same thing

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:43 pm

Aequitas123 wrote:So we're all in agreement here:

This cant be done with Live... yet.
it can be done in live
you just have to set key setting's to trigger the record clips

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:39 am

this has been discussed in other threads ad nauseum, but i can't resist: you can do what she's doing pretty easily in live (it's just glorified multitracking on the fly rather than true sound on sound). and you can easily record, e.g., a 2 bar loop in live, then a four bar loop, then a one bar loop, then mute as you like, etc. and she's obviously listening to or watching a click (there's no way she just happens to sing that first line and have it be exactly the length she needs to sing the more rhythmic patterns).

granted, the repeater can do some thing live can't do (as can all other sorts of sound on sound looping and HW), but what's being done in the video is pretty easily accomplished in live (and i agree it's awesome, but mainly cause the song and arrangement and performance are all awesome, good luck with that).

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:14 am

Thanks a lot guys. The willits vid helped a lot!

lis102trants

Post by lis102trants » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:18 am

Augustus Loop by the Expert Sleepers is an awesome program for doing something similar to Imogen Heap. You just have to be a bit crafty about using it in Live.
Basically, Augustus Loop is a sort of delay, but you can set the feedback to 100% to use it as a looper. The thing about Augustus Loop is that any audio fed into the track that A.L. is on, A.L. will pick it up as an overdub. The key is to control the record arm button like a gate to feed audio to A.L. Now, to get different length loops, just set up multiple audio tracks with an A.L. on each track and set the length of each loop accordingly. Also, you can midi map the mute switches to cut out certain parts of the song and/or bring them back in later like in the Imogen Heap video.

Another neat trick is to map all instances of A.L. tap tempo buttons to a single midi control (like a foot pedal) so that when you set the length of the first loop, all other tracks will have the exact same loop lengths.

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:36 pm

lis102trants wrote:Another neat trick is to map all instances of A.L. tap tempo buttons to a single midi control (like a foot pedal) so that when you set the length of the first loop, all other tracks will have the exact same loop lengths.
I'm not sure if we mean the same thing, but I have found it very difficult to record the first loop WHILE tapping tempo. What I end up with is a strangely warped loop which plays back out of sync because Live's master tempo is changing slightly during the course of the recording.

I would love to find a way to do this for the first loop, since for me it would eliminate the need for a click or pre-recorded guide track.

If anyone has a suggestion on how this could be accomplished, I'd love to hear it.
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:34 pm

buzzcock wrote: I'm not sure if we mean the same thing, but I have found it very difficult to record the first loop WHILE tapping tempo. What I end up with is a strangely warped loop which plays back out of sync because Live's master tempo is changing slightly during the course of the recording.

I would love to find a way to do this for the first loop, since for me it would eliminate the need for a click or pre-recorded guide track.

If anyone has a suggestion on how this could be accomplished, I'd love to hear it.

I think the idea is to tap the tempo before, or even after, your recording; not whilst recording.