Remote zero SL

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Moosh

Remote zero SL

Post by Moosh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:25 am

I have had one for a while and admit I don't love it. This is prob due to a couple of reasons... I have not really figured out the best way to use it with ableton, any tips on this? Also not a fan of automapping, have not yet found the love.

Anyone using this and loving it? Please share the love!
Thank you!

Ps - do they make an editor for this thing?

SubLixx

Post by SubLixx » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:05 am

dude if interested I can send you an FX rack for each channel tomorrow just to get you using automap. You'll realise how sweet it is. It's 2 am and I'm about to go to bed in a minute. Once you understand how it works you'll realise hpw great it is.

I'll send it tomorrow afternoon

Thanks
iMac & Logic Studio

Moosh

thank you

Post by Moosh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:31 am

looking forward to your next post - thank you for the help!!!

living_the_electro_life

Post by living_the_electro_life » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:31 pm

What seem the problem with the automap feature?? I'm just wandering since I'm about the get a hold of one of this controllers. What don't you like about it? 8O

Moosh

Automap

Post by Moosh » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:43 pm

There is no "problem" specifically with the automap feature -- mainly I haven't really figured out how to use it! So in essence the remote is not reaching its full potential.

i did recently update the OS so that's made a big difference in how it is responding to ableton. i can see why people think it's a cool controller. wondering if it is better suited for studio / composition work instead of playing live - could see how if the controller is jumping around to various VSTs, etc., that one could get lost. But again, this is not advice from anyone who actually knows anything about making this controller work with ableton...
MacBook Pro 2.14 GHz, Core 2 Duo, 4G RAM | Live 8 | Apogee Duet | Access Virus TI Polar | Access Virus TI Snow | Novation Remote Zero SL | Novation Nocturn | Novation Supernova | Atmosphere

http://www.loopscious.com

lazlo_funktek

call novation

Post by lazlo_funktek » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:29 am

hi,

i have a zero sl. I use it a lot live and in the studio. it is pretty good i reckon.

i didn't have my automap set up properly for a while either for the same reasons. i gave novation a call (+44 1494 462246) and i got straight through to a real person who told me what to do. it's actually not that straight forward.

for DJing it's really essential.
for studio i haven't really found it to be essential, but i'm starting to use it more now. i find it helps to keep things fun, which is obviously important in keeping motivation levels up. if you get a loop going with a synth, then play with some of the nobs on the synth until you find some you like, then map these (or use automap) to the zero sl. Then just play around. if you hit on something cool, just record yourself for a bit.
i think it allows you to stumble upon cool things quicker.

hope this helps

tom

ash

new version (2.0) of automap universal in beta at focusrite

Post by ash » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:31 am

what seems to be a big upgrade is in the works at novation/focusrite.
http://mail.focusrite.com/beta/index.php

the new Browser function should be great at keeping track of "jumping around to various vst's"...

check out the pdf file as a guide to read about it...
OS X 10.10.2, Live9 Suite, More Waves plugs than I can use,
Push, RME Babyface, APC-40, Akai LPK,
Novation X Stat 49 and Zero ReMote SL,
iMac 27" quad, MacBook Air,
Old guitars ('63 Strat, '68 ES-335),
Custom acoustics.

long live the small fish

living_the_electro_life

Post by living_the_electro_life » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:13 pm

So what do you guys think would be a great controller for studio production :?:

lozz

Zero for studio- yes, NOT for live performance

Post by lozz » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:28 pm

I Disagree. I have been on the hunt for the right controller for the last month.

I picked the Zero Sl because of automap, and the visual feedback above each channell- essential i thought in a busy live situation.

however, I believe the zero SL is not for a live situation. It is devoid of control, and the automap only works if you select the feature you want to control- how else could you do it?

in a sudio, where you can have a mouse in one hand and a control in another, this maybe fine, but in a live situation you need direct control of your parameters.

I swapped the Zero for A bitstream 3x, and although i have only used it once- Iam well impressed and wont look back.

living_the_electro_life

Post by living_the_electro_life » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:51 pm

That bitstream 3x looks nice. How much you got it for? The only thing that I see missing is the piano keys...that's a good add-on in order to produce basslines and whatnot!!! 8)

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 am

I don't think anyone added it, but there is indeed an editor. Makes life MUCH easier when setting your template up:

http://www.novationmusic.com/support/so ... remote_sl/

Keep in mind with the SL Zero that you can have both an automap template as well as a custom user created template. You can flip back and forth easily.

Now if I could just get automap working. I've got it setup in preferences correctly I think, but I think I'm missing some key ingredient. Can anyone post as screen shot of their preferences?
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

lazlo_funktek

Screen shot

Post by lazlo_funktek » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:51 am

Hi,

yeh, I use my Zero SL for live gigs and rehearsals all the time. You have to set up your own template, and more imporantly turn off the Auto map function. That's really just for studio or free (unplanned) jams.

I think it's a wicked controller, especially with the 36 available templates, and the editor - which allows you to save archived templates so you can free up room for new templates without worry about destroying old ones.

I make new templates all the time, so without the screen I think it would be pretty bad really. You don't really want to be starting the wrong song in a live situation.

Tom

The image has appeared really small for some reason (i'm clearly doing something wrong). Anyway, just click on it and it'll pop up big in another window. To turn off automap, just change the Control Surface to None.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:39 am

What's the point of 'automap'? Surely you'd want to manually select the parameters that the SL is controlling, based on the effects/functions you have set in Live.

I am, however, using only a KP3 and my laptop keyboard to control Live - need to get a bigger controller!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

lozz

Post by lozz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:56 pm

Basically if you selected an EQ Three device, the Automap feature will map the controls to an area of the Zero and then name them above the pots.

miqueas1

Post by miqueas1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:52 pm

logic_user99 wrote:What's the point of 'automap'? Surely you'd want to manually select the parameters that the SL is controlling, based on the effects/functions you have set in Live.

I am, however, using only a KP3 and my laptop keyboard to control Live - need to get a bigger controller!
The great thing about automap is.. when working in the studio or a home computer.... I mean well it automaps..

You click on the device... and boom it is automapped to the controlller.. you can then tweak the knobs.. and come up with sounds very fast... and very very easy.. .

I mean I use this device as my main controller... when comes to all the channel fades and that such...

It prob isn't the best for live control... but I am sure if you set up the templates yourself it would be..

I would never go back to anything else... I mean it is amazing.. it saves soo much time.. and in conjunction with other controllers it works very well...

I really like to set up racks within the tracks.. and then map those racks to whatever parameters I want to control.. then once done mapping.. just click on the device rack.. and boom those are all automapped..

Amazing.. I am soo glad I got this product... I use it for every single aspect of production in my set up.
Ableton Live Suite 8, Launchpad, Apc40, Touch-able, Griid, Minimoog, Sylenth1, Nexxus2, Maschine Mikro, all Ableton Audio Plugins, Recyle, Waves Mastering Plug Ins. http://www.soundcloud.com/micahjames