what do you use live 3 for?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
akanalog

what do you use live 3 for?

Post by akanalog » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:35 pm

hello. i just got live 3 last night for my G4 and it seems likea lot of fun.
last night i recorded some vinyl into the program and turned my sound files into loops-i can see how in performance people can give the impression of compositions by manipulating a bunch of different loops.
my question is how people here use live-
do people create full compositions with live or do they take their loops into another program for sequencing? i mean loop based compositions with maybe a few different sections. which program if not live?
what about incorporating longer original sounds like a vocal refrain or something? do you deal with this in live or in another program?
what about recording sounds into the computer? do you use another program like peak for this or do you record directly into live? (seemed to work fine last night)
and do you effect your loops in live or do you use a program like reason to apply effects to your loops?
finally, what about plug in effects? how and where do i find these and are they something to look in to?
thank you very much for any time help and advice.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:04 pm

i generally use loops i've made in reasons, sounds i've cut from songs (using an editor like peak), loops of myself playing into live, and loops that come from the manipulation of all of the above in live (using clip envelopes to create gating, effect automation, sample offset, and to "sequence" individual sounds). there are TONS of cool effects that are worth looking into. Check out http://www.kvr-vst.com/ to start.

RJ

Post by RJ » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:20 pm

I just realized I can record into Live using the microphone built into my pb g4 12". I play trumpet so this is a great tool to use when I'm practicing or to bring to a rehearsal. Just set it down, set it up (about 5 seconds), and forget about it- what a great tool for hearing how that new tune you wrote sounds.

PLUS- I can play an Aebersold or another play-along (jazz heads will know what I'm talking about) on iTunes over the pb's speakers, and at the same time record myself playing and listen to it later. What an awesome practice tool for instrumentalists and singers.

WAIT!! I can also load a tune from iTunes as a WAV. into Live and slow the tempo down without changing the pitch, and loop any section I want- the ULTIMATE tanscription tool!!!

All this and it fits in a backpack I can take anywhere.
A whole lot of equiptment in my studio just became obsolete. Live rocks!