how do you make Live Packs?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Tone Deft

how do you make Live Packs?

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:20 am

this came up in a post
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 608#642608
I've never made one, can't advise, can you?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

condra

Post by condra » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:40 am

Do a Collect All and Save on the project.

Then FILE- Manage Files - Manage Project - Create Live Pack..

Then when the person opens the ALP I think they can choose to manage the file and import all samples into the library.

Something like that I think

autogen

Post by autogen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:32 pm

Creating alp files like this works fine. However, say you wanted to create an alp file consisting purely of device presets to automatically install into the Live Library. How would you do this?

I've managed to create an alp with only the required preset files inside, simply by removing the projects als files before exporting to alp. But I really want to be able to create an alp like this free Neon Stero pack from Puremagnetik.

The live manual states this is something unique to thier factory live packs. So, did they convert the Neon Stereo racks to an alp for Puremagnetik, or is there a way for 3rd parties to do this after all?

Maybe sweetjesus can answer this, as its one of his live packs?
MBP 2.4GHz / OSX 10.5.8 / RME FF400 / Live 8.1.1 / Logic 8 / Pro Tools 8

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:07 pm

double-clicking an alp will install it to the library, no?

autogen

Post by autogen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:38 pm

No, at least not with user created alp's. It seems that Live only lets you export an alp from the 'manage project' dialog. Doing this always results in an alp file that will ask for an installation location, which cannot be the Live library. It seems that the library is recognized as a project and you get a warning stating "...a Project cannot be installed inside another Project." and as your forced to use the manage project dialog to export an alp, by default this means an alp always has to contain a project.

Yes, Ableton factory alp's and those from Puremagnetik install to the library. If it was only the Ableton factory alp's that behaved like this then I'd understand. But the fact that the alp's from at least one other 3rd party seem to also behave in this way, makes me curious as to how they do it.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:07 pm

what if, from the beginning, you are storing the referenced audio files, als files and presets in a directory within the Library? wouldn't that maintain the references?

autogen

Post by autogen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:52 pm

I think it would maintain the references, but I still don't think that would help. The fact that the alp is created from a project folder means there is no way it can be auto-installed in the library, as far as I can see anyway.

I've noticed that the packs that do auto-install show up as a regular directory at the install location, not a project folder. I'm starting to think there must be some kind of external application Ableton and Puremagnetik use, that packs a directory as an alp file.

Edit: OK so I contacted tech support about it, and they comfirmed that only Ableton and there partners can create auto-install live packs :cry:

Thanks for the responses anyway.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:29 am

bizzumpity bump bump.
autogen wrote:Edit: OK so I contacted tech support about it, and they comfirmed that only Ableton and there partners can create auto-install live packs :cry:
thank you for doing that. that kinda pisses me off, the stuff users make is faaaaar more interesting than what Ableton and their partners put out (no offense, I'd rather you make good software.)

bummer.

uhhh, any other solutions out there? I'm too lazy to spend extra time working with the file manglement system.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

condra

Post by condra » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:47 am

It's not a huge pain to just import/export stuff into the library manually, but I agree, it's a shame there is not more elegant solution for people to share their creations.

IP

Re:

Post by IP » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:16 pm

autogen wrote: Edit: OK so I contacted tech support about it, and they comfirmed that only Ableton and there partners can create auto-install live packs :cry:
i know the topic is very old but
A BIG BUMP!

It is very important

Just came around this problem!
The community is getting bigger and bigger.

Many people want to share their packs..
The livepack collection is HUGE!!!

there should be an option to choose | install to library? yes/no

Come on ableton...
Last edited by IP on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SubFunk

Re: Re:

Post by SubFunk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:20 pm

IP wrote:
autogen wrote: Edit: OK so I contacted tech support about it, and they comfirmed that only Ableton and there partners can create auto-install live packs :cry:
i know the topic is very old but
A BIG BUMP!

It is very important

Just came around this problem!
The community is getting bigger and bigger.

Many people want to share their packs..
The livepack collection are HUGE!!!

there should be an option to choose | install to library? yes/no

Come on ableton...
i think this is since ages on the wish list... together with the ability to split a library or generally have several location options at once...
*** Image GAFM ***

Tone Deft

Re: how do you make Live Packs?

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:23 pm

this has been resolved. I just got a .alp from a user, worked fine.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

IP

Post by IP » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:31 pm

how he did it??

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:34 pm

haven't done it myself but there's an option under File for 'Create Live Pack.' seems like a good place to start.

I used the 'Install Live Pack' option under File to install it into a directory. I had to ask him to send me the .als file which I saved into the same directory. when I opened the .als file the files loaded up.

having to send a .alp and .als was a bit wonky but it worked.

I still have no kind words for Live's file management system. what a pile of fail.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

IP

Post by IP » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Ableton should give a proper solution for that.

Users should be able to create proper live packs (with author name and info lines) that any user will be able to install in to the library with just one click and to uninstall like any native livepack.

anyway ... hope to fix it till Live 15.01 before 2020