Question related to frequencies ....

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
pbanken

Question related to frequencies ....

Post by pbanken » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi there!

In an interview with a fairly prominent mastering engineer I learned that the first thing he does is to cut any given track he receives for mastering purposes BELOW 30hz and ABOVE 10kHz, since, in his words, these frequencies are either useless or mashing up the mix (he is known for electronic music himself, but also masters guys like K. West, Dubstep guys probably would argue with his opinion on the 30hz thing ... I guess).

I wanted to try this for myself, and I would like to know how you would approach this cutting of the very low and very high frequencies. My first step was to put an EQ 8 onto the Master track and fiddel around at the respective ends of the freq. range, but a closer look at the Spectrum Display revealed quite a lot of low and high frequencies to remain in the Master signal.

Question: What would your approach be? And, perhaps as a little bonus for a guy like me who is inexperienced with the important matter of frequency 'policing', do you have any more useful hints when it comes to tidying up a mix?

Thanks for your help, any advice is appreciated!

Cheers, pbanken

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:15 pm

I wouldn't argue with the 30hz but i would for 10khz!! You must mean 20 khz.

As for tips, google Tarekith's mixdown guide.

laird

Post by laird » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:29 pm

Cut above 10khz? HAHAHAHA no.

if that person read http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec01/a ... warmth.asp or know what an "Air-EQ" was, they wouldn't have told you that.

Using Spectrum is a good way to see what your plugins are doing, but don't crank the EQ till things look good in spectrum.

Mastering advice I have heard regardingEQ: if you are using more than +/- 3dB, then something is wrong with your mix.

Its always best to fix it in the mix, not wait till the end. If you got a lot of bassy rumble on your vocal tracks, don't try to remove that after they are mixed in with your bass track... you'll just kill your bassline. Shelf-eq the vocal track! Identify the problems and fix them at the source, not the end.

And dont worry about cutting everything. A shelf eq to tame the subs can be useful, espcially if you are losing a bunch of headroom to really powerful subsonic moosh... but there's no reason to absolutely remove all 20hz components.

Nod

Re: Question related to frequencies ....

Post by Nod » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:43 pm

pbanken wrote:Question: What would your approach be? And, perhaps as a little bonus for a guy like me who is inexperienced with the important matter of frequency 'policing', do you have any more useful hints when it comes to tidying up a mix?
Cut every individual channel with a reasonable Q around 500Hz - don't get rid of it entirely - in most cases a couple of dB is enough. Try it - seriously it cleans up so much muck...also get yourself a good freq analyser and 'learn' how a good finished mix should 'look' as well as sound dependent on genre.

As to the sub get the steepest brickwall filter and cut what you don't need - especially when your shooting for serious volume out of the final mix major subsonics will limit, er, the amount of limiting and may even make it pump unduly. Personally I wouldn't use Live's inbuilt FX for any kind of mastering but YMMV.

abletonian

Post by abletonian » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:26 am

hi, this is rob acid, the guy youre talking about!
no, seriously. dont believe the meters! they lie to you. its quite evidently visible when you cut highth with an eq. you see a direct respons according to your eq, but with lows there is a big difference, even with -4084db cut you still have visible bass on the spectrum. just do what sounds good to you.

pbanken

Post by pbanken » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:42 am

"As for tips, google Tarekith's mixdown guide."

This was probably one of the best pieces of advice I could receive from you guys, and I'm really looking forward to reading it in the morning!

But, of course, thanks for all your efforts!

Anyway, I strongly recommend that you search for this interview I mentioned, in case you are interested in stduio technology and such. It was indeed Rob Acid that I was referring to, and this interview can be found on a DVD that is called "Slices", a freebie DVD magazine that can be found in (German / European) record shops ... might be on YouTube, though, I know the Kompakt portrait is on there ...

That's it for me, got sone reading to do (various of Tarekith's guides).

Is there any more good literature you might recommend, perhaps in printed form? Nothing to hardcore techy / Hawtin-would-be-baffled-stuff, more like 'Frequencies-for-Dummies'?

Again, much thanks!

Cheers, pbanken
5 records I will always put in my record bag, regardless of the situation:
Aaron Neville - Gossip
Blaze - Lovely Day
The Emotions - Best of my love
Nosliw - Nur dabei
Maurizio - C4.2