The Mixing Thread

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
kraze

Post by kraze » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:56 am

While this might be more on the mastering-end on things, everyone who owns IzoTope Ozone 3 should definently use the loudness maximizer's "prevent inter-sample clips" function on everything they do. You might not hear it, but the final product will be much smoother.

eggnchips

Re: The Mixing Thread

Post by eggnchips » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:19 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote: -make an offset panner, it delays one channel by a few ms, creating the effect that the sound is wide, coming out of both speakers individually, instead of all flat and mono.
How do I do that then?
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:10 pm

read the thread mate.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:26 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote:read the thread mate.
thanks
MUHK RECORDS

Kozak

Post by Kozak » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:07 pm

I find the ofset panner an amazing tip!

You say you delay by a few MS but I find myself using 30-40MS quite alot. Am I doing something wrong here? It sound nice and wide though.
Ableton Live 7.0.2 / Keyboard / Mouse

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:18 pm

Kozak wrote:I find the ofset panner an amazing tip!

You say you delay by a few MS but I find myself using 30-40MS quite alot. Am I doing something wrong here? It sound nice and wide though.
personal preference really.

just be sure to double check in mono, and try not to use it on anything too major.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

eggnchips

Re: The Mixing Thread

Post by eggnchips » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:35 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote:
first off there is this awesome video from andivax that totally spills the beans on a lot of really important stuff. it's a free download in hi res and totally kicks ass: http://www.udma.com.ua/academy

Sorry, I know one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that, but that
heavy euro accent really does take some
gettting used to.
Last edited by eggnchips on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUHK RECORDS

Kozak

Post by Kozak » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:38 am

I'm european and even I don't even understand 3% of what he is saying.

Sheeeellllooooeee mooooi neeeem isss aaandivax

Kozak

Post by Kozak » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:56 pm

I also got another question.

You say: sidechain sidechain sidechain I sometimes sidechain everything but the kick. Now I was wondering what attack and release times are good for sidechaining a whole mix and for sidechaining a bass. I know it's kinda specific and is a bit different for every song but could you give me some pointers?

mattjhuber

Post by mattjhuber » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:40 pm

I kind of did a rant on this issue...moreso in a live context, but applies elsewhere...

http://matthuber.wordpress.com/2008/04/ ... d-the-mix/

Thanks, by the way for the links that you provided in your first post -- I find those to be very helpful...

I am trying to get better with compression...I am a novice on it...anyone have some fundamental tips for a beginner?
Ableton, Reason, Guitar and other Madness....
matthuber.wordpress.com

Check it

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:03 pm

my number one tip for a beginner is : Aim to use as little of it as you can!

Compression sounds "kinda funky" if you aren't used to it, and beginners tend to slap loads of it on everything and then justify it as "hey, that's my sound". But they soon realise that it is as fun to listen to as JPEG compression is to look at. Sure it looks kooky and pumpy and interesting the first few times but then after a few months you realise that it is actually bloody ugly and you wish you could un-compress your masterpiece. Trust me on this, it screams out "I'm A Newb!!11!" if you trowel it on like a deaf man.

I have heard a hell of a lot of Myspace stuff recently which goes Suuck-a-Suuuck-a-Suuuck-a-Suuuuuuck. It's so obviously someone's first go on a compressor and they think they are coming across like Daft Punk. Nope.

Compression IS good as an effect, and yes, even to extremes, but very rarely will you sound cool with 20:1 at -60db on the stereo buss!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:14 pm

Most compression done right is barely audible, unless the producer is using a more colorful compressor. So if you can clearly hear a huge difference between the compressed version, and the dry version, you're likely overdoing it. Less is more, especially with compression. Once you have more xperience using it, then you can start to 'misapply' it, until then err on the side of caution.

Marx

Post by Marx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:27 pm

Hey Phat,

How can I tell where my midrange stuff lands Frequency wise? I'm trying to notch off the highs and lows but it seems to be cutting out the body of a lot of my synth lines.

Also, when you sidechain do you just do it with the kicks and bassline or is there a lot of different mid and high range stuff you sidechain as well?

Should I sidechain with a sampled breakbeat? Or should I stay with the kicks I use on a separate drum track to beef up my sample? Or should I sidechain both of these under the bassline?

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:56 am

Not to be off topic, but I was just curious to hear if you guys do your final mixdowns in live. I've tried doing my mixes in protools but lately have found live to be just as capable for my needs. I just hate going from daw to daw when working on a project. Hopefully this doesn't start a debate on sound quality. I'm just interested to hear how many other producers mix in ableton.
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

davidnordstrom

Post by davidnordstrom » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:25 am

figured this would be a good thread for my questions.
Im in the middle of finishing my mix and doin some brushing up.

a lot of the instruments i use in the mix have freq settings on them (basically the same as the operator's freq+res). since i use the live eight-band freq too will my settings on the instruments freq (not the channel) have any effect? is there any point in adjusting the internal freq if im gonna use the eight-band one externally on the channel? any good tips on this?

furthermore on eq: when u guys mix do u mute all freq on the eight band except (for hihats, lets say), everything above maybe 5k? now for my mixes i have the eq-eight as a straight line (as it is when u open it) then gain specific freq higher. is this optimal for mixing?