how do you adjust multiple volume levels simultaneously?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
bionicLOVEsoundsystem

thanks Laird!

Post by bionicLOVEsoundsystem » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:36 pm

thanks Laird,
I really appreciate you taking your time to reply intelligently & in detail to my questions.
What you said makes alot of sense!
I forwarded it to my engineer.
He does not know LIVE & i have been sending him
cut & pastes from the Live manual about it being
32bit & such. His studio (which is one of the better ones in Vancouver, BC) does not take 32bit files so I will be giving him 44.1 , 24bit.

As to this situation...my individual tracks I always keep out of the red & sometimes the Master gets red so I always add a Limiter on Master. This does the trick for my own mixdown & got me by so far. to make mp3s where it is gonna be compressed & sound non-audiophile anyway it has been ok. I CAN hear that my tracks need to be fattened up though so I have decided to take to get mastered properly & release this album with confidence. I took the Limiter off, & shazaam! lots of red clipping going on in the Master. none on individual tracks so far.

his replies so far have been :
"It will sound better if you leave the master fader at zero and adjust the individual track volumes instead. "

but hopefully....he just doesnt know this about Live.

thanks again

stay tuned for the final verdict (his reply to your post)
www.myspace.com/blackhurst
www.BeatsWithoutBorders.com

:: 2.4ghz MacBook Pro, Korg Micro X synth, KAOS pad 2, Edirol UA-25 audio interface, Edirol UC-33 midi device, Cort A5 Bass guitar, Melodica, etc.... ::

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:09 am

No need for any plug-ins.

The track faders for each track are controlled by the volume envelopes in Arrangement view.

Choose the mixer -> Volume envelope for each track in the envelope pull down menu (on the right of each track). You will now see volume envelopes on each of your tracks.

Select all your tracks (Shift + select). Make sure the region you select is wider than your track (or just select all). Now just simply move one of the volume envelopes down (to reduce the volume) and all the other volume envelopes on all the other tracks will move down by the same amount.

Voila :)

laird

Re: thanks Laird!

Post by laird » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:49 pm

bionicLOVEsoundsystem wrote: cut & pastes from the Live manual about it being
32bit & such. His studio (which is one of the better ones in Vancouver, BC) does not take 32bit files so I will be giving him 44.1 , 24bit.
well, 32 bits doens't mean you get more headroom over 24bits, even though the number is larger. i think the "floating point" part of Live's mixing engine allows it that magic to avoid clipping even though the individual tracks might be running into the red. IF THE MASTER CHANNEL IS RED, THOUGH, YOU ARE BONED NO MATTER HOW MANY BITS YOU ARE USING.

sTILL, just because some dude on the internet (me) says that IF you have no clipping on individual tracks, but some clipping on the master, that you will get the same result by 1) turning down every single channel as 2)turning down the master fader, you don't have to take my word for it.

This is your album... so do what your engineer suggests... the only thing it'll hurt is your mouse hand!! Spend that extra time. Personally, I don't... but this isn't my album. don't "do the experiment" with your album, treat that with baby gloves. Do the side-by-side listening test later.

bionicLOVEsoundsystem

Post by bionicLOVEsoundsystem » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:01 am

thanks for all the good advice but now i have a more urgent problem...

my LIVE 7 i just bought (had LIVE 5 before) been using past few weeks no
problems BUT...now it is being very glitchy. crackling sounds as i play
different songs. i tried restarting a few times but same thing?

sure there are lots & lots of posts on this...will check now.
feel free to send a link my way if you know what i can do.
www.myspace.com/blackhurst
www.BeatsWithoutBorders.com

:: 2.4ghz MacBook Pro, Korg Micro X synth, KAOS pad 2, Edirol UA-25 audio interface, Edirol UC-33 midi device, Cort A5 Bass guitar, Melodica, etc.... ::

alin55

Post by alin55 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 pm

alin55 wrote:
laird wrote:.........................................or use the utility trick (putting it first in every FX chain).
laird - I've always put the utility at the end of the chain. What's the thinking behind putting it first??
thanks
ali
For the attention of laird - if its a stupid question then tell me so but if not then I'd really like to know why you put the utility first??
thanks
ali

laird

Post by laird » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:27 pm

Because if you have a VST effect that is clipping, turning down the volume (with utlility) after it clips will give you a track that is still clipping, only quieter.

The same way turning your stereo up to 11 and then putting in earplugs doesn't remove the distortion.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:40 pm

I would create a BUS and send all tracks to that. Send the BUS to MASTER and lower the BUS by sufficient amount of dB. This is if the individual tracks are not clipping.

The multiple midi mapping trick would not work (in this case), since as soon you twist that knob all of the volume faders would go to the same level.

-M

alin55

Post by alin55 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:53 pm

laird wrote:Because if you have a VST effect that is clipping, turning down the volume (with utlility) after it clips will give you a track that is still clipping, only quieter.

The same way turning your stereo up to 11 and then putting in earplugs doesn't remove the distortion.
Thanks for that -makes sense :roll:

maerteijn

Re: how do you adjust multiple volume levels simultaneously?

Post by maerteijn » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:34 pm

You can select the tracks and raise one of the faders. the others will follow! (At least in Live 8.2)

octl

Post by octl » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:28 am

Not sure if this has been answered or if this is a better way. I'm new to Live, and was disappointed at how complicated this was compared to FL studio. As of now, the best way that I've found to do this is to group all of the tracks together and put an audio effects rack with a blank chain on the entire group. Then you can automate the volume of the chain all the way down to infinity and ungroup and regroup tracks as necessary.

timday

Post by timday » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:47 am

???

If you select multiple tracks (cmd/ctrl-click or shift-click to select all the tracks in a range) you can move all the faders together. You've been able to do this as far back as I remember without having to group or use busses (although those are also useful techniques).