Make "Insert Genre Here" track 100% in live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
selthym

Make "Insert Genre Here" track 100% in live

Post by selthym » Sat May 10, 2008 1:18 am

I have yet to find any forums, sites etc that go through step by step how to make a standard generic track for any particular genre.

I thought I would start this to encourage some of you experts to create a generic track that easily identify's your favourite genre only using Live components. And either post the set (I can host it if you like) or write step by step insstructions.

I am thinking along the lines of:

House
Start with a kick on every beat
A claap on every 2nd beat
An open high hat on the off beat
Create a bassline by doing this

Breakbeat
Place a Kick on the 1, 7 & 11
Snare on the 5 & 13
Ghost snare on the 2 8&10
Create a bassline like this
Arrange iit like this?

Please save all your "Be Original" post's. When ssomeone is trying to create a tune in a genre they have not tried before, it is aalwaays handy to know the basics of what makes that genre work. Like how the drums aare programmed, little tricks, in the bass and synth lines, The staandaard wway to arrange these tracks.

Anyone up for it???

kraze

Post by kraze » Sat May 10, 2008 11:16 am

This would be great for beginners, i'm fully backing it.

mbone

Post by mbone » Mon May 12, 2008 1:41 pm

i'm fully backing it too :)

i will like to know about minimal techno :)
Live 8.Macbook pro.Elektron Sps-1 UW.Remote SL 37.Arturia Analog Factory Experience.

selthym

Post by selthym » Mon May 12, 2008 11:29 pm

Can anyone suggest any regular posters on this forum that you believve will be good... and willing to do something like this?

kpa

Post by kpa » Tue May 13, 2008 11:51 am

kraze wrote:This would be great for beginners, i'm fully backing it.
+1

i have a book which is essentially the same as this idea, it tell of the main aspects of what goes into each beat, bass lines etc. it was pretty handy starting out, as you get to a point where you can then put your own ideas into a track, so it does become something different and induvidual. there is nothing wrong with pointing out that most tracks played in house clubs essentially have the same foundation.
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue May 13, 2008 12:56 pm

Ad Roc from the Beastis Boys wrote:Place a Kick on the 1, 7 & 11
Snare on the 5 & 13
Intergalactic.

P.S - Great idea for beginners. Also,just pick a few beats and copy 'em. You'll soon start to see how tracks from different genres are built up.

I learne to do this on a DR-202 drum machine w/step sequencer. That took fookin' ages.

Kids today don't know how easy they've got it with Live..! :wink:

three

Post by three » Tue May 13, 2008 9:05 pm

Patch wrote:P.S - Great idea for beginners. Also,just pick a few beats and copy 'em. You'll soon start to see how tracks from different genres are built up.
I agree entirely, take your favorite track, and try to recreate the beat. If you can do it in under a day and a half, either you're a drummer or it's not your first time.

once you've gone and tried to not just copy but truly _duplicate_ your 10 favorite tracks you will know a whole lot about whatever ${INSERT_GENRE} you listen to!

if you have problems, or run into a beat that you just can't decode, feel free to bring it back here and i'm sure you'll find some help ;p

cheers,

chris
Last edited by three on Wed May 14, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraze

Post by kraze » Wed May 14, 2008 12:35 am

I've got a few synth programming and beat manipulation tricks i can contribute. Just a few that has a "wow-factor" but are actually quite simple to get a hang of.

I'll whip something together when i have the time.

And how about we'll keep this very samplebased and quite general? No specific non-free third-party plugins and mostly manual editing. That has already been done and will sound to much exactly like something else instead of just a bunch of tips you can use to make something original.

three

Post by three » Wed May 14, 2008 12:45 am

kraze wrote:And how about we'll keep this very samplebased and quite general? No specific non-free third-party plugins and mostly manual editing. That has already been done and will sound to much exactly like something else instead of just a bunch of tips you can use to make something original.
that sounds reasonable. we'll have to make another thread to trade reactor ensembles ;p

kraze

Post by kraze » Wed May 14, 2008 1:35 pm

... We really do have to, Live/Reaktor users UNITE!

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:38 pm

kraze wrote:... We really do have to, Live/Reaktor users UNITE!
Word to that! Go Team Reaktor.

<...back on thread...>

This is a fantastic idea. I'll gladly chip my two penneth in the pintpot of musical fortitude!

@kpa - what book is it that you have, broseph? [intrigued]
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Fri May 16, 2008 9:11 pm

I´d LOVE a thread like this.

I´m most interested in hip-hop/trip-hop, reggae and latin stuff, like Santana...if anyone has any good tips or basic advice, I´d be over the moon.