Effect trails - crossfade loop

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Jajah

Effect trails - crossfade loop

Post by Jajah » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:40 am

Oye,

I´d like to get better sounding loops when using/recording effects with a trail, like reverbs or delays. I dont like the way it sounds when for example you hear, at the begining of a loop, the trail of a clap wich actually fires at the end of it, and conversely, a gated reverb effect when the loop stops.

Before I start to rework my clips in an editor and to apply sioux loop/action paths to them, I was wondering if anyone has already managed sort of a methodology for doing this with Live (4 atm), as I have better to do than re-inventing the egg.

Or maybe I miss a part of the manual? or Ableton is going to be working out a solution? (that is, of course, when v4 is done already, and they will have again nights and sundays to work on it :wink: ).

Stay safe,
Jajah

radder

Post by radder » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:32 am

There is a thread concerning this topic somewhere else on this forum, but the consensus seems to be - have 3 clips. One loop in which the effect tails begin building, one loop that has the entire tails, and one loop to catch the isolated tails after the dry audio stops.

It's kind of a workaround to say the least... but seems to work OK if you keep it in mind.

try searching for the other thread, or maybe someone else knows where it is... I seem to remember seeing it some months ago.
myspace.com/raddermusic || soundcloud.com/a-radder || Thinkpad R61 / 3GB RAM / Echo Audiofire 4

Jajah

Post by Jajah » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:05 am

thx mucho Radder,

I did not think about this, it sound pretty feasible especially with the new clip "actions" in v4. I´ll try again a search also, with "tails" instead of "trails" :oops:

Jajah

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:55 pm

You don't make it clear if you're creating these loops in live or getting them elsewhere. But if you're creating loops in live you simply check "Render as Loop" when you render and it wraps the reverb and delay tails around for you.

electropoet

Post by electropoet » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:22 am

Another workaround (for me at least)...was to have all my strings sounds come via midi from Reason...i was having a rough time with the reverb and decay so wrap-around loops started too abruptly...committing to having all strings be midi...has been a good solution...better than using 3 slots for 1 string loop.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:48 am

Search for "seamless loops" in the Tips & Tricks forum. Use "Search for all terms". There may be some help there...
I don't know how to post a direct link to a topic on the forum...hmmm

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:53 pm

ethios4 wrote:Search for "seamless loops" in the Tips & Tricks forum. Use "Search for all terms". There may be some help there...
I don't know how to post a direct link to a topic on the forum...hmmm
i bumped your post up the thread-ladder. to link a thread you need to right-click on the thread in question and choose copy link. it should have numbers at the end like this.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12221

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:02 am

sweet! thanks for the know-how!

Jomdom

Post by Jomdom » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:22 am

If possible, go back to the source where the reberb was applied, strip it out, render the loop as a dry loop, then do reverb in Live via a send to conserve CPU power if it's scarce. That way, you can let the tails ring out since it's being processed right inside Live.
"No one cares, no one sympathizes; you just stay home and play synthesizers."
- Flight of the Conchords