[TIP] 3D Movement in sounds

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Yes, I am sure. I do not have the possibility to change the Value of switches. When routed to a macro, the value is not adjustable.

AS said above i always asociated Up/Down with High and Lowpass Filters. In my Displacer, its just two EQ 8 in shelv-mode (one hi shelf and one low shelf) and with increasing heights fo rexample, the lowshelf lowers its gain and raises its frequency at the same time. Sounds like a soft hipass-filter. In opposite for the other EQ8 with a hi-shelf.
I think, you also could realise this with a frequencie divider. Bu tthe Problem is the bipolar scaling of the macros. For L/R its not so complicated, because its bipolar in its nature. If this would be programmable in macros, it ould be much easier with such things.

Another Idea: What about those chain-maps? Perhaps this can be a solution for the mute button problem. Is this available in Live 6? I'll look for it.
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Yeah it works.

Means: I can rebuild it I think. But you must have a little more patience till I finish it... If you still are interested.

I will also use this funktion for the Live 7 version, because you can manage little fades there. Just know your programm and you can do everything. Almost. But always there's something new to discover.
Another step making my love to Live deeper :lol:

I keep you up to date!

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

bulo

Post by bulo » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:19 pm

Another Idea: What about those chain-maps? Perhaps this can be a solution for the mute button problem. Is this available in Live 6? I'll look for it.
Yeah! You're fucking right!!
Let's wait!! :D
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

bulo

Post by bulo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:19 am

What's up bro?
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:04 am

VERY cool thread going on here, guys...
Can this technique be used on sound effects, like a train for example? Listening through headphones, could you have the train approaching from the left, and then disapearing to the right? Or approaching from the front, and disapearing into the rear?

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:25 pm

Patch wrote:VERY cool thread going on here, guys...
Can this technique be used on sound effects, like a train for example? Listening through headphones, could you have the train approaching from the left, and then disapearing to the right? Or approaching from the front, and disapearing into the rear?
Just use reverb, volume automation and panning...

Kozak

Post by Kozak » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:25 pm

Well it doesn't do doppler stretching. From as far as I can see this technique just uses panning and boosting and cutting frequencies fronttoback.
Ableton Live 7.0.2 / Keyboard / Mouse

bulo

Post by bulo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:23 pm

Patch wrote:
VERY cool thread going on here, guys...

Just use reverb, volume automation and panning...
It's not so easy.
Several kind of phase manipulations are most important. And phase is a very very very complex and deep science.
And I shit here

borg

Post by borg » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:44 am

For realistic moves, you'll need specific apps/plugs, imho.

I got myself an old copy of Digital Performer 4 for 50 euros that will do surround mixing and doppler (mix the surround tracks appropriately to stereo tracks afterwards).
GRM Tools are nice too.

Very interesting what people came up with here, gonna give them a try... thanks!
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:03 pm

Finally! (no I have not forgotten you, bulo!)

I made the Rak for Live 6.
This does not have the same sound quality, because I used the EQ 3 here for the UP/Down axis, and not the high quality live 7 EQ that someone (forgot the name :( ) posted here in the Forum (I used this in the Live 7 Version of my Rack). So if you own Live 7, get the other version (see top).
Get the Live 6 Version here:

displacer6.adg - 0.09MB

HAVE FUN!
I hope the work was worth it.

@borg:
Of course there is no doppler in my rack. So not perfekt, but usable for sfx, but musical for tonal input etc... (you dont want the melody coming from the top to sound disharmonic, do you?)

Greetings from Germany!