HELP: Non-linear response curves for macro controls??

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
wackazong

HELP: Non-linear response curves for macro controls??

Post by wackazong » Sat May 31, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi!

I am having the following problem:

I use a Macro control to control a decay time of an operator envelope. I need the following values:

Macro at 1: Decay at 5 sec
Macro at 127: Decay at 1 milisec

But now I want to control the value of the decay parameter at the macrovalue of 64. It needs to be something like 500 milisec, but it is actually only 200 milisec, because live just interpolates linearly between the two extremal values.

Is there a way for a solution to my problem by using some kind of workaround?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

ALEXander.

http://audioasyl.net/artist_artist.php?artist_id=239

friend_kami

Re: HELP: Non-linear response curves for macro controls??

Post by friend_kami » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:23 pm

wackazong wrote:Hi!

I am having the following problem:

I use a Macro control to control a decay time of an operator envelope. I need the following values:

Macro at 1: Decay at 5 sec
Macro at 127: Decay at 1 milisec

But now I want to control the value of the decay parameter at the macrovalue of 64. It needs to be something like 500 milisec, but it is actually only 200 milisec, because live just interpolates linearly between the two extremal values.

Is there a way for a solution to my problem by using some kind of workaround?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

ALEXander.

http://audioasyl.net/artist_artist.php?artist_id=239
afaik, no. but id second that as a feature request.
infact id second a feature request based on selecting ANY macro value and place a parameter value there, and saving that value.

so you could have macro value 0 = delay 4ms, macro value 48 = delay 100ms, macro value 96 = delay 48ms, macro value 127 = delay 280ms.

you know, save the parameter value at the given macro value as a keyframe, if you wish. this way you could for example make a filter sweep that goes steep from 0 to 110 and then goes up very very very slow the rest. or down. finetuning if you wish. ofcourse there alot more interesting things you could do with this, things that you could never do with just tweaking a knob, unless youre superhuman and can tweak things extremely fast and randomly. arr.

wackazong

Post by wackazong » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:38 am

Yep, that would be great. It could be organised in the GUI in a way that the basic configuration is like it is now, but with the ability to add extra fixed value pairs. interpolation in between can then be linear again. that would be great, especially for live knobs and fader twiddling!

But well, thinking of MIDI assignments in Live, although the genereal idea is great, there is so much to improve. Ableton, hire me, I will design you a great interface to MIDI ;)

ALEXander.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:52 am

~70ms actually. when it's 64.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:08 pm

wackazong wrote:Yep, that would be great. It could be organised in the GUI in a way that the basic configuration is like it is now, but with the ability to add extra fixed value pairs. interpolation in between can then be linear again. that would be great, especially for live knobs and fader twiddling!

But well, thinking of MIDI assignments in Live, although the genereal idea is great, there is so much to improve. Ableton, hire me, I will design you a great interface to MIDI ;)

ALEXander.
+1.
also add the ability to assign two knobs to the same parameter, where you could use one for finetuning and the other one for hard tweaks.