Free audio sample librarian/organizer/auditioner for Windows

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
a1studmuffin

Free audio sample librarian/organizer/auditioner for Windows

Post by a1studmuffin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:56 am

Hey all... for those that don't know, I'm a programmer as well as a DJ/producer. One of the free tools I've written is here: http://auralprobe.sourceforge.net

I've just added a new version so thought it might be worth sharing. Full release notes in the thread below. Enjoy!
Aural Probe is a sample librarian tool for computer musicians/audio engineers. Automatically and non-destructively index your disorganised sample collection from a list of folders into categories (kick, snare, hihats etc.) based on folder/filename wildcard matches. Easily audition samples, load/save favourites, and drag-and-drop straight into your sequencer.
Last edited by a1studmuffin on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Butter Party: Beatport | Soundcloud | Mixcloud

a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:20 am

I should add, this app was pretty much designed to be used in conjunction with Ableton Live + Impulse. Just reduce the window size and stick it on "always on top" mode, browse through the samples, then drag them onto the Impulse pads. Far more efficient than Live's built in browser and you'll never have to sort your samples into categories ever again.

Soma

Post by Soma » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:50 pm

I haven't used your app yet and perhaps what I'm about to request is way out of scope of what you have planned but...

I have always drempt of a librabry manager, that can sort samples based on "like content" for instance, regardless of file name the manager would find all kicks based on frequency content, length and dynamic pattern, just like the human brain does.
The program could then let you select samples to apply a meta tag to and you could seach by meta tags for samples later

Nod

Post by Nod » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:19 pm

@A1studmuffin: Nice one mate - this is really useful! Just had a few moments to play - all seems to work pulling samples between the browser to Impulse *and* Drumracks. Couple of immediate thoughts:

1. It'd be cool if you could make multiple selections for Drumracks ie: a series of kicks/snares/hats etc

2. I like the way files from a similar folder have been colour coded, & at the moment the 'status bar' at the bottom indicates the name of the folder, is there a way of making it more 'visible', when working in high res, ie: a 'blank' sample box with the name of the directory prior to the samples from it?

3. Tho' it doesn't have any noticeable issues with other formats I've tried some AIFF samples on my machine are producing full scale white noise. Might just be an issue at my end (something to do with the file header perhaps?) but thought I'd mention so that folks watch their speakers/ears...

Other than that - great job and I'll come back to you with more suggestions as they occur...

a1studmuffin

Re: Aural Probe - Free Sample Librarian Tool (Windows XP)

Post by a1studmuffin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:08 am

Digging up this thread from 5 years ago to announce a new version. Mostly stability and bugfixes. If you're using Aural Probe, you'll want to grab this.

http://auralprobe.sourceforge.net

WHATS NEW IN 1.45:
- Maintenance and bugfix release.
- Updated source code for Visual Studio 2010.
- Updated FMOD API to version 4.44.20.
- Updated NSIS installer and scripts to version 3.0a1.
- Fixed FMOD memory leak.
- Fixed cross-thread UI control modification issues.
- Better handling of corrupt/missing/unplayable samples.
- Better handling of duplicate/overlapping search folders.
- Ignore all hidden and invalid folders when searching in search folders.
- Added keyboard shortcut for popup menu item "Copy as path" (Ctrl+Shift+C).
- Faster playback for very large files.
- Installer bugfixes relating to Windows Vista/7/8.
- Cancel button while scanning folders no longer hangs.
- Better UI feedback at the beginning of a large scanning folders operation.
- Replaced help with more detailed CHM documentation.

a1studmuffin

Re: Free audio sample librarian/organizer/auditioner for Windows

Post by a1studmuffin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:08 am

I've just released another maintenance + bugfix version with proper Windows 8 support.

http://auralprobe.sourceforge.net

WHATS NEW IN V1.5:
- Added full multi-select support for samples.
- Added regular expression support for categories.
- Added right-click pop-up option to delete samples (with confirmation dialog).
- Added ability to reorder categories up/down in configuration dialog.
- Save config + cache files to Application Data folder. Results in better support for non-administrator accounts.
- Fixed status bar text hiding the important part of long sample paths.
- Added support for spaces in search criteria.
- Display volume slider as dB Full Scale rather than percentage.