Midi Help Mapping

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
spr1000

Midi Help Mapping

Post by spr1000 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:01 am

New user of Live..+ New to the forums. I am having and issue with mapping audio to my Midi device I'll try to be as detail as possible. I'm using a MPD 16 midi controller.. What I want to do is trigger audio samples from the mpd 16,so I can sequence them in live. Simple right?

I drop an audio clip into clip session view. Well say a kick drum for example.
Then I click the midi tab, now i'm in midi view, I then hit the first pad(Pad 1 aka Note # C1) on my controller. It reads the pad in the the midi mappings view window. I then go back to my audio page and hit Pad 1 to trigger the kick drum and the sound comes out but it is a continuos loop,so it seems as if pad 1 is controlling just the playback in Live. Not the actual audio sample. So how do I fix this problem? Also how can i set Live to to trigger my pads in either mono,polyphony,or note off.

Thanks in advance.

theghosthand

Post by theghosthand » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:07 am

is the audio clip set to 'loop'?

clipless

Post by clipless » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:37 am

Hey use impulse for that task
What you are actually doing is triger an audio clip and of course playback of the whole set begis when triggering a clip.
Use Impulse for percussion samples and percusion sequencing, not the sesion :P
you can play with the instrument without triggering playback.

hope this will help

spr1000

Post by spr1000 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:05 pm

clipless wrote:Hey use impulse for that task
What you are actually doing is triger an audio clip and of course playback of the whole set begis when triggering a clip.
Use Impulse for percussion samples and percusion sequencing, not the sesion :P
you can play with the instrument without triggering playback.

hope this will help

A little.. Do you think you can explain the steps when mapping in impulse? And should I only use Impulse for percussion? I guess what I'm really trying to do is to set Live up like an MPC 2000 or 1000.

Thanks

clipless

Post by clipless » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:04 am

Well, you drag and drop an impulse into a MIDI track.

It can hold up to 8 samples. you have to go and look for your drum shots in the file browser and drop them into any of the 8 slots in impulse.
once all files are loaded you just have to arm the track or set monitor to "ON" in the routing pane.

make sure your track with impulse is recieving MIDI from the MPD16.

I've never used an MPD16, so I really don't know if you can change and reprogram what MIDI messages send the pads. I think it is possible as it comes with an editor software.

Well you have to make the upper 8 pads send note messages from C3 to C4, only the white notes. that way you will be able to trigger the sounds of that impulse. then you can make a second track with a second impulse that gets MIDI messages on a diferent MIDI channel and set the lower 8 pads to send the same C3 to C4 note messages on that MIDI channel and you have a 16-pad drum machine ready to go in live. then hit record and make some loops on the fly.

there are some other ways to arrange two impulse devices to be in the same track but it is more complicated. this is the fastest way I think.
Give a try. if you cannot change the midi notes from the pads then you'll have to use a very complicated MIDI remapping in Live by making a midi fx rack with lots of pitch devices and that is just way too expessive in time and workflow.

I hope this is helpful :P

clipless

Post by clipless » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:21 am

I made a custom rack for you to test:

16PAD IMPULSE.ADG

check it out and study how it is set to work

You can work in the same MIDI channel in live and in the MPD16. it is a rack with two impulse devices stacked and getting your messages in different regions but set to work propperly and with full 16-samples support.
the first impulse recives MIDI notes from C3 to C4 and the second from C5 to C6. those are the two interval you'll have to set to make it work with the MPD16.

Let me know the results :P