Trying to understand punching in and out

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Simbosan

Trying to understand punching in and out

Post by Simbosan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:57 am

Sorry for the noob question, but I'm new to Ableton and having a lot of problems getting my head round what 'punch in/out' means in the Ableton world. Probably being a rock dinosaur doesn't help as I think in tape recording modes, ho hum! And yeah, for this track, I am using Live as a straight DAW for various reasons.

Anyway, I cannot see how to punch in/out of a clip or a track. I have a bass track (not a loop) that needs fixing up in a couple of minor spots, but I don't want to re-record the whole thing. You know the situation =) So instead I spend hours bashin my head against Ableton... cos thats like easier ya know!

My first mistake was using Session view, so I am now in arrangement view. The punch in/out lights are on. I have the initially recorded guitar track armed. Arm record on the transport and hit play button and it all looks good, the guitar track is greyed out till the punch in point is reached, but .... no recording takes place.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you can only punch in/out on a brand new track? Is that correct? And then I have to either set my arrangement to switch to that clip and back? Or should I merge the two audio into a 3rd one?

That sounds very complicated way to nuke a bum note, there's gotta be an easier way....

Thanks in advance for any help, I have done my dues as far as searching for an answer, and the help file devotes like 2 sentences to the whole process of punching in and out... I think it's a mindset shift problem.

Cheers

S

clipless

Post by clipless » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:05 am

As you describe it I got to say the setup is correct, it's weird you cannot record a section...
You can punch in at anytime in the process of tracking not just in a brand new track.
And well if you are usig the arrangement, make sure you have your recordings loaded IN the arrangement and that you are working on it by pressing the "back to arrangement" button, located next to overdub button in the transport section.

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:30 am

Thanks for the help clipless, yeah i can't see why it isnt working.

I have it all recorded in clips at the moment, I prefer the session view.

Can I punch in and out of a pre-existing audio clip? Hunting around people were saying that it carried on recording after punch-out. That indicated to me that it must be recording somewhere else...

Still confused

S

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:35 pm

sounds like you are not working in arrangement. if the clip is greyed out, there is a session clip playing on that track

??

clipless

Post by clipless » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:13 pm

You cannot punch in the session. take all your clips to the arrangement, the arrangement works just like traditional DAWs or tape recording machines. then you CAN use punch in and out.

then again, after porting your recordings to the arrangement make sure you ARE working in the arrangement by pressing "back to the arrangement" button next to "overdub" button in the transport section. Just like longjohns said, if a track grays out its because there is a clip for that track running in the session.

I guess i don't have to tell you how to record the punch but (just in case) it's a good idea to be already playing before the punch in and keep playing after the punch out, the result is a better editable section. All you do (while recording) before the punch in and after the punch out will also be recorded until you hit stop. if it happens that the overdub doen't fit well you can expand that clip to either sides and to blend it better with the first takes.

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:40 am

*lightbulb*

Awesome, thanks very much. That did the trick. I had created a new track for testing which I hadn't added to the arrangement.

Looking back, I should have used the arrangement view for all this, but the Session system is so awesome after traditional daws, that I hoped to use it all the time.

Thanks again

Cheers

Simon