Novation Remote SL vs Faderfox

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.

Novation Remote SL or Faderfox?

Novation Remote SL
50%
Faderfox
50%

Total votes: 20

Fidel

Post by Fidel » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:00 pm

I do want a card with external MIDI I/0 but I don't need my sound card to have MIDI, I do on the other hand need my MIDI controller to have USB so it's good to know that while very stable the Foxes aren't for me.
Toshiba Satellite M115 (Core Duo 1.60Ghz-1g ram) / MacBook Pro 2Ghz/2g ram

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:26 pm

I own a remote sl 25 & 37 and I love them to death, the thing is this, the automap for live SUCKS, flat out garbage, the HUI template for DP and the automap for plugins and softsynth controls are amazing, and I have been doing this almost 10 years, I am not easily won over.

if you use multiple daw systems then the remote sl is the way to go hands down, if your a live only guy then consider this before deciding.

I erased my remote sl automap template for live and created my own template using standard midi controls, I have about 90 different things I can control live through all the buttons knobs and assigning keyboard keys,7 channels, 7 launches and 7 mutes, about 8 FX in my master chain with about 24 customized controls to drop my fx in different settings and patterns and more little cut and edit tricks to perform.

then I can just turn one knob and activate my automap for instruments only to control vi's while I am producing, then just click back to my live template for mixing and performing.

under midi template control the remote has worked perfectly, the native sequencer automap for live is garbage, the instrument and plugin automap is great, you CAN overwrite the live automap and make your own setup for mixing and performing, while keeping the plugin/vi automap for sound design/synth control and original production.

It all really depends on your needs

DJ only, faderfox looks good.

Producer, DJ, live performer and sound designer making all your own beats riffs and loops from vi's and a hardware rack, the the remote sl can't be beat.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:11 am

I've used them both. I own 2 Faderfox units: LD2 encoders & LX1 buttons. They are extremely well thought out & implemented controllers. Very powerful (especially for their size). Plus they have native support in Live 7. You can also write your own user scripts, though I am finding this to be like shooting in the dark... kinda random so far. But I'm a MIDI novice. I need help!

The Remote Zero struck me as having a lesser build quality -the Faderfox units are like little bricks! :P

Naturally, it all depends on what you want to do & how you like to work. Both are cool.

As for USB issue: what's wrong with one of these?

Gianluca

Post by Gianluca » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi

just a quick question..Suppose I buy a faderfox, would it be possible to connect it to my Korg Zero 8 by MIDI and the Korg would sent both the signal of the Korg itself and of the Faderfox to Ableton with the Firewire cable that is plugged in my Korg to my Mac?
Is this possible or am I just guessing?
:)

Thanks for any help!

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:52 pm

Yes I guess...

I'm able to do it with a faderfox LV2 midi plugged to my padkontrol, pK that sends all infos via usn to live, and live receives BOTH infos from the pK AND the faderfox.

so that should be the same for your system...

but I don't know the korg zero, so may I be wrong ;)

cheers

edit : I guess it is ok for you IF the korg zero acts as a firewire midi interface

Fidel

Post by Fidel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:38 pm

oblique strategies wrote: As for USB issue: what's wrong with one of these?
One more piece of hardware to carry along and have something go wrong with, Plus with all the trouble I've had keeping my Triggerfinger seen in Live I'd like to keep m-Audio out of the picture. Ideally one audio interface, and one midi controller with usb and midi in and out.
Toshiba Satellite M115 (Core Duo 1.60Ghz-1g ram) / MacBook Pro 2Ghz/2g ram

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:58 pm

Fidel wrote:
oblique strategies wrote: As for USB issue: what's wrong with one of these?
One more piece of hardware to carry along and have something go wrong with, Plus with all the trouble I've had keeping my Triggerfinger seen in Live I'd like to keep m-Audio out of the picture. Ideally one audio interface, and one midi controller with usb and midi in and out.
Understandable. However, the one thing that M-Audio seems to have universally got right has been their simple MIDI interfaces! They are a pretty safe bet.

:)

966sf

Post by 966sf » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:58 am

Actually, all my old midiman stuff doesn't work anymore. There's a Midisport at my school that goes crazy when more than three channels are played at the same time. Even my bro's FW410's Midi I/O only works half the time.

Yeah, for a company that used to have MIDI in their name, M-Audio sure makes some crappy MIDI interfaces.
Macbook Pro 15" Core Duo 2.16ghz 2GB ram; Live 6.0.10; Live 7.0.7; Digi 003 Rack; Novation Remote Zero SL;Faderfox micromodul LC2, Korg Kontrol49; M-Audio Trigger Finger