mac user is computer-knowledge disabled...

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
memes_33

mac user is computer-knowledge disabled...

Post by memes_33 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:33 pm

i've used macs for audio entanglement exclusively for almost 10 years now, but i'm always at a loss when it comes to cleaning / file managing / defragging / general maintenance. right now, i'm on a macbook pro 2.16 core 2 duo w/ 2 gigs of ram. i noticed the other day that my storage is down to 3 gigs (!) of free space. i cleaned some random stuff out here and there and got up to just shy of 10 gigs free, but wanted to do some general maintenance while i'm at it. thats about as far as i know...

defragging- does mac come with a defrag application? is that what disk repair does? if not, is there a good free/cheap defrag program that people like? do i even need to defrag on a mac?

file management- someone showed me one time how to clear out my temp folder to free up disk space; or am i hallucinating a memory (happens)? are there files collecting somewhere that i perhaps don't need and can get rid of?

old installs- demo plugins that have expired, older versions of sofware (live 6, for instance, now that i'm on 7), other stuff- should i delete them and, if so, how?

any other general maintenance tips?

like i said, i've been making music on macs for a while, but am otherwise pretty deficient when it comes to general computer knowlege. any experts out there willing to take me under their proverbial wing? thanks in advance

jgerry

Post by jgerry » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:08 am

OS X will defrag in the background as necessary. Just leaving your machine on when you're not using it should be enough.

That being said -- I'd be wary of running a Live setup with anything less than 10-15% of your disk space free. You don't say how big your drive is, so I can't say if 10 gigs free is enough. I run the exact same laptop as you, with an upgraded 320 gig drive in it. I always try to keep > 50 gigs free, which is probably overkill, but it makes me feel all safe and happy. :D

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:03 pm

i'm have 120 gig drive, so i'm definately under 10%. i have a ton of DP5 projects on there i could probably delete.

klash

Post by klash » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:03 pm

just a list of usefull softs that I use all the time on tiger and leopard for general maintenance:

1/ Free up some space

first you should run Monolingual wich is a free program for removing unnecessary language resources from Mac OS X, in order to reclaim several hundred megabytes of disk space.
http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

Then you can manually remove all the drivers for printers you don't own.they are located in library/printers

2/ Maintenance

I use onyx for mac osx maintenance,optimization clean cache, etc...
it's a great free software
http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/englis ... opard.html

3/uninstaller

use AppZapper to uninstall programs like demos or softs you don't use anymore and all their related support files.
http://www.appzapper.com/

4/Defrag :

I personnaly use techtool pro to defrag my HD and more maintenance, hardware check, etc..., but it's a bit pricey: $98
http://www.micromat.com/

hope this help
MacBook Pro / OS X 10.4.11 / Ableton live 6.0.10 / Motu 828 / Yamaha 02R

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:37 am

Great Tips, thanks man!

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:39 pm

I've been having similar thoughts recently. I'm a new mac user and when I had a Windows machine it was basically a regular chore to defrag, look for viruses, delete the junk, and so on. The main reason I bought mac is that it seems to largely take care of itself. I don't want to spend time optimising it, only to sit there uncertain of whether or not what i've spent all morning doing has actually made any improvement. I don't want to have to think 'time for a format' every three months, just to keep it running well. I don't want to have to download random bits of software just to make my machine run properly. So far, I have literally done nothing to it as it came out of the box and it's running as fast as when I first bought it. Hopefully by the time the time the performance degrades substantial developments will have occurred in the hardware world and i'll just upgrade to a new model.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:10 pm

agreed duluxdog.

is all that stuff mentioned above really needed? Why, for example, do you need to install a program to delete stuff for you when you can just move it to trash? I understand there might be files around that are linked with an application but if you familiarize yourself with the OSX general folders you can delete those manually.

I was not aware that I needed to defrag my drives. Is there any proof manually doing this actually helps?

Like duluxdog I've had my Mac Mini for 3 months now and its just as fast. No problems at all and Im glad I made the switch from Windows.

mems_33 with regards to clearing up space, just be ruthless. Ive only got a 80GB HD and I managed to float around the 10GB free mark by being completely strict on what is allowed to stay on the drive. Even deleted most of my samples (turned out to help me make better, more original music). Just get a nice external drive for your extra stuff.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:51 pm

Onyx is cool, but defragging is unnecessary.

This is directly from Apple.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375

FYI 75-80% used space on a hard drive is max for peek performance, at least it was five years ago, and it doesn't hurt. I've had corrupted files from utilities moving them with less than 5% space on disk, so I'm cautious.