Kick drum design

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
anne onymous

Kick drum design

Post by anne onymous » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:16 am

Hi you all,

I was wondering if some of you would like to share there
kick drum design technics? Mostly for house and modern
minimalism...

Thanks in advance,
Anne

rEalm

Post by rEalm » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:27 am

Try downloading the free program Stomper, it's awesome for making your own kick sounds.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:40 pm

Box of samples from basically everywhere. Layering and EQing, mainly. I like big beefy rock toms (don't tell anyone I said this but if you can get your hands on the Earthtone9 track 'Ni9e' you'll be sorted ;)) with the attack from an electronic-ish kick.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

onnomon

quick and dirty kick

Post by onnomon » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:11 pm

A simple method is take a sine wave (many wave editors can generate one), say 400 millseconds long at 50 hertz. Use your favorite wave editor's pitch envelope, in Live you can use the clip's transpose envelope. At the beginning of the sample you'll want to start the pitch shifting pretty high (+24 semitones or more), then quickly ramp down to zero or lower (say within 50 msec). This part is creating the hit part of the kick. Then, after the fast high-to-low sweep, gradually bring it to zero, or some value ameniable to the tune's key but keeping it in the deep bass region. This part gives the kick it's depth. You basically trying to create an impulse chirp, it quickly sweeps thru lots of frequencies. You'll then want to use amplitude envelopes to curtail it a bit, it's nice to have space between kick notes for definition. The thing should certainly decay out before the next one. Also, if it's a bit clicky or knocky on the front side, you can always adjust the start point later, or use a fast non-zero attack time on the envelope to soften it up a bit. Finally a little EQ'ing if you want a certain overtone to stick out a bit more. This is where you can make it more boomy, if that's your cup-of-tea. You might also use a compressor "for fatness". Frankly I don't think it's necessary that much of the time, but it's always good to check it out.

Also, instead of starting from high-to-low at the beginning of the kick, you can sweep from low-to-high, then high-to-low. A different kick character.

There are tons of adjustments that can be made, it's certainly gratifying to make your own.

On the other hand, attempt to isolate kicks from your favorite tracks, and use those samples as a starting point, or just verbetim.

lay waste to the PA's-

dean

pepezabala

stompbomp

Post by pepezabala » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:45 pm

Two kickdrums I created in the past weeks:

I have children playing soccer against a wall in the backyard. I recorded this from my window, isolated one slappy hit of the ball against the wall, a bit of compression, sounds great.

Then I had a live recording with the sound of someone plugging in a microphone while it was connected to the mixing desk. This made a very nice "Plogck"-sound, that only needed to be transposed some semitones lower and again compression ....

Peropaal

Re: stompbomp

Post by Peropaal » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:56 pm

pepezabala wrote: Then I had a live recording with the sound of someone plugging in a microphone while it was connected to the mixing desk. This made a very nice "Plogck"-sound, that only needed to be transposed some semitones lower and again compression ....
Excelent concept, and you dont need protools for that
sigs are out of fashion

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:04 am

DR008 VSTi, use the synth modules ;)

saddam whosayin?

Post by saddam whosayin? » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:33 pm

you guys gave away all the tricks :!:

they saved you like a year o f-in around

buy a Jomox

mkb

Post by mkb » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:04 pm

you need:
microphone
cardboard box
stick

place microphone in box
hit record
beat box with stick

Spacerboy

another trick

Post by Spacerboy » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:39 pm

take a microphone
sit on toilet
press record
cut and tune the samples as you want
---> nice sound (very natural)

5dots

Post by 5dots » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:45 pm

i've made a lot of good beat sounds out of just white (or pink) noise and effects.