anyone know where this bass comes from?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
The Phat Conductor

anyone know where this bass comes from?

Post by The Phat Conductor » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:31 pm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHnipnJvTU

anyone know what synth of sample this is?

i'd love to get my hands on it... i'd swap something good for the sample if you have it handy...

dope dope dope
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

DjViral

Post by DjViral » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 pm

HOLY FUCK, thats one of the phattest basses ive heard in a while. nice find, but unfortunately i don't know what it is. its amazing though. i love the use of the vocals as a wobbling synth in the start.

ReverendZed

Re: anyone know where this bass comes from?

Post by ReverendZed » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:45 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHnipnJvTU

anyone know what synth of sample this is?

i'd love to get my hands on it... i'd swap something good for the sample if you have it handy...

dope dope dope
Phat, I would suggest you ask Matt Fusilo a.k.a. RadioHiro. He's a madman with ill knowledge of all things related to the Bhangra sound. If you're interested shoot me a pm and I can give you his email address.

Peace,
Rev. Zed
Don't tell me how to internet...

DJDJ

Post by DJDJ » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:19 pm

almost sounds like a bass hit that's been timestretched & then resampled.

Whether or not this is exactly the case, my guess is that it's likely that this bass was created through resampling. Prolly from an FM or Waveteable synth??? I can' think of any synths that make that kind of sound out of the box, so to speak. But there are plenty that could be a start for sounds like this....

Keddy

Post by Keddy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:45 pm

Agreed with DJDJ. Wavetable.
Inspiron 1520 - XP SP3 - Ableton Live7 - Reason 4 - M-Audio Axiom25 - Novation ReMote ZeroSL - Korg PadKontrol - M-Audio MobilePre - Ibanez SGR Bass - Hilo Ukulele

Ten Square

Re: anyone know where this bass comes from?

Post by Ten Square » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:54 am

Hello,

when I listen to this nice deep bass sound, here is what I ear:

* a sound based on sine waveforms
* the pitch of the sine is slowly modulated
* maybe 2 sines are used and both their pitch are modulated but not in synchronisation, which certainly produce the unpredictable chorus effect
* there's also a slow tremolo (volume modulation) applied
* some harmonics are added so that the sine sounds more colored (try a bit of saturation or FM programming)
* some dirty treatment is then added (a bit of saturation + noise?)

If you load the soundtrack audio file in Live and have a look at the waveform, you should clearly see the sine, harmonics and soft distortion as well (the waveform looks more like a triangle than a sine which indicates harmonics, there are also plenty of bumps all around the signal). The tremolo is well visible too (a low frequency that produces volume modulation over the signal).

Hope it helps a bit! :wink:

kraze

Post by kraze » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:24 pm

This is a variation of dubstep bass with fm syntesis. A good software sampler and time to make things sound just right is all you need.

These days when i make this sound, i use waveforms from Vember Audios Surge software synth, there's a bunch of Waldorf sounding wavetable forms in there that does the trick. The good thing about layering serveral waveforms is that you can make sure that the bass frequencies still sound right no matter how much crazy stuff is going on in the upper layers.

There's definently resampling involved of the entire hits too, with pitch modulation akin to something you would do when you're making a hoover.