Mastering racks

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
last man on earth

Mastering racks

Post by last man on earth » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:58 pm

Does anyone have something along the lines of a mastering rack they want to share?

There may be something in the rack sticky, but if there is, I didn't see it.

Thanks

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:56 am

I don't use the same mastering rack all the time.

I found it very handy to build some kind of multiband compression grouping several chains with a compressor + an eq8 each plus a chain with the dry signal.

Last device is always a limiter.

Also insert spectrum and look what you're doing....

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I can upload a very basic example.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:58 am

http://tarekith.com/assets/mastering.html

Might also be of interest for you.

esky

Post by esky » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:52 pm

I created this a while ago, works good for me. Of course you have to find the right plugins for yourself. You can easily switch from one chain to the other and compare your settings.
esky wrote:Recently i spoke to a friend who's using Cubase 4. He told me about the Control Room feature which is basically a mutiple mix bus for the main output with possibilitys to listen to external stereo sources. I thought this is a good idea for a rack as we all know how important it can be to compare mixes to other music or to switch between mix bus settings. My first layout is pretty simple:

Switching is done via soloing the chain. Unfortunatly not possible via a key. Of course everybody is using higher value plugins for the mix bus chain.Here is the rack:
http://www.mediafire.com/?s2joncmmwvn

Comments are appreciated. Other ideas of course too. Hopefully this hasn't been done before...

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:34 pm

i would never master using ableton as my engine. i have before, and it comes out alright, but there are better programs for it.

my fav is wavlab. sounds super clean :)

andrew_

Post by andrew_ » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:36 pm

+1 to wavelab (and i'm only using version 4)
trying to master in ableton i can never get the level hot enough before it clips.

blingstef

Post by blingstef » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:34 pm

andrew_ wrote:+1 to wavelab (and i'm only using version 4)
trying to master in ableton i can never get the level hot enough before it clips.
i tried wavelab but never figured out how it works. I mean there were not a lot tools (EQ,Comp,etc...) in fact I did not find a lot of them... Can you help me on that one?
kickiest kicks with the snariest snares
http://www.dsidemusic.com,
m-audio axiom49, ableton live 7.0.12, m-audio projectmix I/O.

andrew_

Post by andrew_ » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:11 pm

i tried wavelab but never figured out how it works. I mean there were not a lot tools (EQ,Comp,etc...) in fact I did not find a lot of them... Can you help me on that one?
When mastering I don't use anything other than EQ or compression. On rare occassions I'll add some reverb. Wavelab's EQ and comp are pretty good. I put the Puncher on most of my stuff. Peak Master goes lightly on everything right at the end of the chain.

Wavelab can also host VST and DirectX plugins so you can really bring any effect you have into there.