SysEx in Live 10

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

SysEx in Live 10

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:48 pm

So Live 10, SysEx is now capable from Max4Live. Great.
OK then, a simple SysEx dump of the patch from my hardware that is used in the Live Set is now possible right?
Looking at M4L and the dedicated web page of M4L patches, nothing really... So, to get a simple SysEx dump in Live of the current patches in the hardware synths here requires me to learn M4L and program it myself. Or I could just open up DP, Logic, Cubase, Reaper, etc. etc.

Same issue with Bitwig, controller keyboards are easily made into control surfaces for deep integration™, if you know javascript.....
Not all of us are programmers, I don't work IT, I've used computers for 20+ years without needing to learn code.... What blows me away is Ableton and Bitwig as well it seems, don't even put basic things into the programs anymore that make them intuitive, that used to be the term you could use for modern DAWs, but at this point it's more like uncomplicated.

I long for the days when you could go through all features in a Live upgrade without either learning M4L in and out or waiting for some poor sap to need the same things out of Live you do, and spend X amount of hours adding functionality to Live for free after their soul crushing 50+ hour tech job.

hoffman2k

Re: SysEx in Live 10

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:30 pm

"capable". It only works half. A device can either receive or send, but not both. So for your purposes, you need 2 devices on 2 dedicated tracks.
If it worked as it should, a simple saver/dumper would be like a 5 minute build. At the moment its still a mess.

TaoEntropy

Post by TaoEntropy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 am

+1 for sysex dumps of all patch parameters to and from external synthesizers in Ableton Live

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:24 pm

I think I'm done asking for Live to have things it obviously never will.
Not trying to be fatalistic, just realistic, it's been pretty much since v4 that some of us have asked for SysEx, and it's not happening.
Not in any way that works for dumping and receiving a patch for a song.

It's a weird quandary really, Live is fun to compose in, but it doesn't support certain things that make composing easy.
Bitwig dropped the ball as well, same silly take on what's 'outdated' so no SysEx, ReWire etc.

dettenbach

Post by dettenbach » Tue May 08, 2018 7:48 pm

+1 for simple sysex record/send

I'm just wondering as i use Live for driving my synth park and composing / arrangement and Pro Tools for further mixing. PT Gould record/play sysex dumps and Live not. Seems a bitcrazy to me, as having patches within DAW projects is vers helpful and "basic" for working with many projects or even to load a "session" of patches into a synth park for live performance.

Ableton provides the MIDI Assoc. (me too a bit) and the Assoc. published new MIDI standard extensions today. So MIDI will grow further and is far from outdated. Hope to see sysex record/play in the next in live.

niels.
((d^b))
dettenbach audio
http://dettenbach.com

mpc183

Post by mpc183 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:26 pm

+1 for Sysex natively in Ableton. This has been requested for more than 10 years! and is a standard feature of pretty much any other half decent DAW.
Everybody has a mix of gear and in the box setup and it's time to serve this purpose.

I have a Virus TI that everyone knows the TI part is laughable and most self respecting Virus users would only run over MIDI, and therefore the best way to save patches especially the incremental changes for each version of a song is best. done with Sysex dumps etc.

This was also a promised new feature of Live 10 which mysteriously came and went in the Beta phases. I even saw it as a feature in the original list when they announced 10 last year. where is it?

Also, even if I wanted to use M4L implementation, where is the info on that? Not immediately apparent. All the stuff I've seen on M4L Sysex is super confusing and not sure if it does what I want, which is just basic saving, or running of a Sysex file saved in a Live clip so I can just send it to the machine at the start of a session recall. Basic.

TaoEntropy

Post by TaoEntropy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:26 am

+1 for sysex send and recieve. I'd like to see features that send sysex when a project and/or clip launches similar to the way they've implemented program change send to have all your outboard physical synths receive the patch of that project when you open it.

tomheavybeats

Post by tomheavybeats » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:28 pm

+1 sorely needed for use with my ANdromeda A6 hardware synth. This and proper comping is keeping me from using Live 10 as my main DAW, have to stick to Reaper as it can do pretty much anything

TaoEntropy

Post by TaoEntropy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Yeah vocal comping is needed. Instead of giving us new instruments that we don't need, Ableton should be working on fixing some of these huge gaps that users have asking for for years.

pyrocrig

Post by pyrocrig » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:07 pm

+1 for the most sysex known to man ... circa 1982!

WAAAY late to the party. A new user to Ableton. Absolutely love using it as a "scratch pad" to get ideas together and produce in a non-linear manner, but c'mon. I can't crack open a little "event list" window, drop in F0 .... F7 line at [Measure 1, Beat 1, Clock 1] to set the MIDI module up in the correct mode? Lame. I keep thinking "there HAS to be a way!" I mean, I don't need it to twist knobs, change parameters on the fly whatever, just a single line. *fingers crossed & hoping*

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri May 07, 2021 9:10 pm

Thanks for this thread. Bad news but has just saved me tonnes of work and buying a now-obsolete device. It would be good to keep a list of what's dropped aside from what's added.

On second thought, doesn't using a midi translator tool such as Bome help stay away for m4l? Knowing what sysex should go to your machines, you could replace them with any cc or note in an unused ableton midi channel and have them translated by Bomes. That's what such tools are for.