Show us your studio!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Pitch Black

Show us your studio!

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:25 am

Been a while since there was one of these threads. I'll start:

MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

jestermgee

Re: Show us your studio!

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:11 am

Doesn't get any better!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:32 pm

Just moved to a new house, so that means a new studio. Still have to unpack the synths and what not, but it’s up and running so I can get back into the mastering business again asap. Still need to get more acoustic treatment since this room is taller than my last one, but it's sounding really nice already.

Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:07 pm

Probably getting rid of the Roli Block and SparkLE. Plus I'm in a knife fight with myself on keeping both the Push 2 and and Launchpad MK3. Logic and DP can use the Launchpad. Live, Bitwig and Reaper can use the Push 2. Of course my acually used DAWs are Live and DP, so both for now. :oops:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:09 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:32 pm
Just moved to a new house, so that means a new studio.
Nice, curious where you move to? wild guess is on one of the islands or east side.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:25 pm

Almost did Orcas, but moved to Bend, OR instead. Better mountain biking and snowboarding. 😉
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:16 am

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:25 pm
Almost did Orcas, but moved to Bend, OR instead. Better mountain biking and snowboarding. 😉
Oh cool, was wondering about the dryer looking dirt in your pic. Bend is a trip, the red asphalt everywhere makes it look kinda alien. I helped my dad's best friend stain his house there a few years ago, no hipster or huge homeless problem, but you got antivax rednecks and tweakers for sure. Mountain biking there is great, even just the off road biking is great. :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:39 pm

@Pitch Black - what’s that set of faders between your monitor and Apple keyboard?

@MW - full on gear cave… Love it!
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:07 pm

H20nly wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:39 pm
@Pitch Black - what’s that set of faders between your monitor and Apple keyboard?
Icon Platform M. I actually don’t use the motorized fader functions or to control channels in Live or Logic, I use it a MIDI input device for sound libraries/instruments.

https://iconproaudio.com/product/platform-m/
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Soundcloud

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:13 pm

Nice. I’m looking for something like that. I want it for mixing smoothly instead of mousing around

Thanks for the reply and link
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:43 pm

H20nly spending like a BOSS!
Did you just receive a large tax refund or something… :lol:

Note that the Platform M covers up the display and controls of my Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88… idiot here plugged his powered USB hub into the wrong power supply and sent 12V through the system. Blew up a Launch Control XL and killed the USB functions of the S88. Luckily 5pin DIN MIDI out still works! :oops:

IMHO the Platform M is… only ok as a mixing surface. If you can I would suggest trying it out first, or get a right of exchange before you purchase.
Just 2c worth.
Soundcloud

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:17 pm

Oof. That had to hurt.
Pitch Black wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:43 pm
H20nly spending like a BOSS!
Did you just receive a large tax refund or something… :lol:
I am doing some spending at the moment :lol:
That Mac Studio is setting me back a pretty penny… 400,000 thousand of them to be exact. I paid off my car days ago… So 500 bucks a month can go to these purchases and not change a thing about my life. I have an 842 credit score and CC companies have been offering up good options. I hopped on a interest free for 24 months and 12.9 APR after card offer - so I’m abusing that right now. Lastly, I got a raise *and* had a bunch of costs go away during Covid shelter in place that gave me a little surplus. I didn’t buy much gear the last 8-10 years or so, so I’m not feeling too guilty :)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:30 pm

:D :D :D

@Machines, what’s that thing with, is it valves? on the left of your pic?

And while we’re at it, what’s in those brown and yellow boxes under your turntable hmmmmm…?? I’m sure it’s all perfectly legal in your state… :mrgreen:
Soundcloud

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:07 am

In Machines’ setup, I’m particularly intrigued by the number pad on the Akai midi keyboard. Hmmmmmmmmmm. And Bluetooth to boot?? Looks handy

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:24 am

:lol: the sleuthing is on!
I have a add-on number pad like that for Cubase. The +, -, and Enter keys on a keyboard, along with the space bar, were my original ‘control surface’ with Cubase SX3. They move the play head. You can’t do it without the number pad… When I switched to Mac (iMac) from Windows, Apple had decided that number pads were not necessary in a Bluetooth model keyboard :roll:

Pitch Black wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:43 pm
IMHO the Platform M is… only ok as a mixing surface. If you can I would suggest trying it out first, or get a right of exchange before you purchase.
Just 2c worth.
Yeah the mixed reviews aren’t compelling, even on the other models. They seem to be a 60/40 split between elation and meh/sucks. Par for the course on most I’ve looked at.
Icon models look gorgeous though :x
What do you prefer as a mixing surface?