OT: LOST

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
jeskola

Re: OT: LOST

Post by jeskola » Thu May 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Aequitas123 wrote:
jeskola wrote: It has, several times... the "smoke monster" has taken the form of other people. IT is quite possible that it has now taken the form of John Locke.
When did that happen?
Ben's daughter most recently just a couple of weeks ago. Mr Eckos brother Yemi i think his name was...

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Monster
It can also take alternative forms, including human, through which it can communicate verbally with the people it encounters.
Check there for the actual episode refrences.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu May 14, 2009 4:22 pm

jeskola wrote:
Aequitas123 wrote:
jeskola wrote: It has, several times... the "smoke monster" has taken the form of other people. IT is quite possible that it has now taken the form of John Locke.
When did that happen?
Ben's daughter most recently just a couple of weeks ago. Mr Eckos brother Yemi i think his name was...

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Monster
It can also take alternative forms, including human, through which it can communicate verbally with the people it encounters.
Check there for the actual episode refrences.
PWNED! do you even watch lost dude?

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:31 pm

Emissary wrote:
PWNED! do you even watch lost dude?
Honestly there's been so much shit thats gone on that i totally forgot the monster could take human form.

I humbly bow to your pwnge.

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Thu May 14, 2009 4:47 pm

It happened several times. Echo's brother, Ben's daughter and I believe the guy from the early seasons who had the spoiled sister (he appeared to Locke as Locke felt like it was his fault that he died). So I would go along with the Smoke Monster theory - makes the most sense from my perspective....
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:54 pm

The problem i see with this "guy that wants to kill jacob so he waits forever, then changes into the smoke monster which changes into Locke" theory is it does say why the guy couldn't just kill him at the beginning of the episode.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu May 14, 2009 5:11 pm

I don't think we'll ever find out what the smoke monster is.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu May 14, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm pretty sure its nanobots. JJ Abrams has denied it, but he also distinctly denied Time Travel being a part of the show... which was also a blatant lie.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu May 14, 2009 6:25 pm

jeskola wrote:
Mehalic wrote:All I have to say is that I can't wait till 2010. What a great season... I wanna know who the guy was with Jacob back on the beach (at the beginning of the show), he was the guy who said he hated Jacob and wanted to kill him - somehow this guy is using Locke's form to manipulate Ben into killing Jacob. Crazy shit - I love it.

He is the smoke monster... Using Locke just like he appeared as Eckos brother and all the other "dead people". That was my take on it.
I think this is CLOSE to the explanation, but I supsect they will complicate it a little. Maybe the smoke monster is a servant of the anti-jacob force, or a tool. I agree that it was awfully suspicious back in the episode where Ben summons smokey and Locke stepped out of the woods, or later where smokey threatens Ben in the form of his daughter, just in between Locke being around.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu May 14, 2009 6:27 pm

Aequitas123 wrote:The problem i see with this "guy that wants to kill jacob so he waits forever, then changes into the smoke monster which changes into Locke" theory is it does say why the guy couldn't just kill him at the beginning of the episode.
That's why they kept refering to loopholes dude. Like Ben and Charles Widmore had some agreements they both respect (including avaoiding direct physical harm). It seems to be a thread throughout.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 pm

You are all wrong. :P
Or, focusing on the details and missing the big picture.

You're forgetting the heavy Egyptian influence. The glyphs, statue... There were even glyphs on the counter in the Hatch (which translated into something like the Underworld/Afterlife/whatever.

The entire story is about the battle between Egyptian gods; particularly Set and Apep.

Jacob is Set - god of the desert and required chaos. Look on Wiki. The picture shown of Set IS the statue on the island; complete with Was scepter and Ankh Cross.

The Man In Black is Apep, the Egyptian God of Evil.

Richard Alper is most likely Ra.

My guess: it will be revealed that every myth has some truth, and that these guys are the inspiration for their legendary namesakes. Everyone else connected to the island - while important to the island at specific moments in time - are merely pawns in an epic and ageless struggle between Set and Apep. The island is probably some sort of power nexus - a point where our reality/this dimension wears thin. Or the opposite - it's a point that's holding things together. The universe (or multi-verse) is full of them, and there happens to be one right here on earth. A bit of science. A bit of Stephen King's Dark Tower.

What would be cool is to find out that there's some sci-fi behind this..that it's not going to turn out to be just a supernatural/Egyptian mythology explanation. Somehow Apep and Set stumbled upon the island thousands of years ago, and it's energy made them into near-Gods.

8O
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu May 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Loop, that's the best f-ing theory I've heard yet!!!!!!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu May 14, 2009 8:30 pm

LOL.

I started to figure a few shows back that there's got to be a powerful reason for all the Egyptian crap everywhere. The start of last night's episode clinched it. I knew right away those two dudes were probably o l d. Fighting an ageless battle. Gods. A couple of visits to some Lost forums revealed that I wasn't the only one. There's guys who are way into the whole Gods aspect, and that's where I got the names.

Funny, because I thought that Egyptian stuff was only going to be but one ancient culture represented on the island. I for sure thought that ancient Celt, American Indian, Persian, Chinese, etc stuff was going to show up. As if various cultures kept stumbling upon the island throughout time - just one more temporary caretaker until the next group comes along to slaughter and take over the power. Seems I was wrong, haha.

I'm still betting that that Richard Alper came on the Black Pearl - and that it's the Black Pearl that Jacob is watching on the beach. You wait. That ship is going to end up in the middle of the island, and Richard will come walking up to Jacob and say "Hello Jacob."

POW!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu May 14, 2009 8:33 pm

And remember what book that Jacob was reading before Locke's death? It's important and speaks volumes about where the story is going. :wink:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu May 14, 2009 8:41 pm

^ yeah, explain that book please

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu May 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Everything that rises must converge. I had to read this in college. It's a fucking awesome book. (and the name of a great Shriekback tune, lol). Pretty violent if I recall.

A bunch of short stories by Flannery O'Connor that deal with the fallibility of humanity. Morality, fate, bad choices, punishment, redemption, consequences, grace. Arriving at the truth (or conclusions), but at an often horrible cost. There's a religious message that runs through her work (she was a big-time Catholic) that focuses on mankind being at the halfway point between God and beasts - and that's why we are capable of such polarity of good and evil. Something like that. heh.

The title itself is from some Jesuit priest, who promoted an alternate theory of evolution. Something along the lines of 'mankind is evolving not only biologically, but spiritually. That we are getting closer to God-like creatures all the time. Or something, haha. Kind of like 'Q' in Star Trek: TNG. So advanced that they appear like Gods.