OT: Cycling ... as in... riding bikes... as in... bicycles

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
8O

Re: OT: Cycling ... as in... riding bikes... as in... bicycles

Post by 8O » Mon May 23, 2011 10:45 am

Recovering from the Berlin Velothon today: got in the top 2000 out of 13000 or so :) 3 hours 14 minutes for 120km - had mild circulatory collapse at the finish line which was a bit worrying, but hey, at least I know I pushed myself hard enough! :lol:

8O

Post by 8O » Mon May 23, 2011 2:53 pm

My summer project, converting my mountain bike to a street bike (and maybe into a single speed)...

Here's my lovely, but sorely underused since I moved to Berlin, mountain bike...
...and as my town bike just got nicked (saw it on sale in ebay just a few hours later, but police can't be arsed to do anything), I thought I'd use the opportunity to convert the mtb to a fast street bike...

First things: make it more secure and tougher. Swap the Q/R skewers for some lockable ones and get something protective over the frame. Any suggestions? Also, swap the clipless pedals for some platforms and swap the knobblies for slicks...

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu May 26, 2011 5:49 am

8O wrote:My summer project, converting my mountain bike to a street bike (and maybe into a single speed)...

Here's my lovely, but sorely underused since I moved to Berlin, mountain bike...
...and as my town bike just got nicked (saw it on sale in ebay just a few hours later, but police can't be arsed to do anything), I thought I'd use the opportunity to convert the mtb to a fast street bike...

First things: make it more secure and tougher. Swap the Q/R skewers for some lockable ones and get something protective over the frame. Any suggestions? Also, swap the clipless pedals for some platforms and swap the knobblies for slicks...
i'd dump the shock and get a rigid front fork too, but i guess if it locks out to rigid that be ok.
that must suck to see your bike on ebay and you can't do anything about it.. sorry man.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu May 26, 2011 5:58 am

8O wrote:Recovering from the Berlin Velothon today: got in the top 2000 out of 13000 or so :) 3 hours 14 minutes for 120km - had mild circulatory collapse at the finish line which was a bit worrying, but hey, at least I know I pushed myself hard enough! :lol:
good job! its always fun to push your self so hard that you feel like your going to die when you stop hehe

8O

Post by 8O » Thu May 26, 2011 3:19 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:
8O wrote:Recovering from the Berlin Velothon today: got in the top 2000 out of 13000 or so :) 3 hours 14 minutes for 120km - had mild circulatory collapse at the finish line which was a bit worrying, but hey, at least I know I pushed myself hard enough! :lol:
good job! its always fun to push your self so hard that you feel like your going to die when you stop hehe
Thanks! Yes, last time I felt like that I ended up in Garmisch-Partenkirchen hospital on a drip :lol:

8O

Post by 8O » Thu May 26, 2011 3:23 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:i'd dump the shock and get a rigid front fork too, but i guess if it locks out to rigid that be ok.
that must suck to see your bike on ebay and you can't do anything about it.. sorry man.
Ta - yes, forks have a lock-out. Any ideas on a covering material - ideally something like old inner tubes, but think that would be a right pain to cover the whole bike, though inner tubes fixed by zip-ties would tick the "ugly as hell" box... Heating pipe insulation would be too bulky I think...

8O

Post by 8O » Fri May 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Some stunning scenery here: http://vimeo.com/24290169 - itchy legs, gotta get out there... :)

krulecello

Post by krulecello » Mon May 30, 2011 10:10 pm

http://www.theunconventionalcellist.com

Cellist - Composer - Live Looper

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon May 30, 2011 10:14 pm

krulecello wrote:Image

I'm LOVING that your first post is in the Lounge.

:P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

krulecello

Post by krulecello » Mon May 30, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks LSZ, I couldn't resist a thread about Cycling :D

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 pm

18 fast and flowing miles on the MTB today, 7 brutal miles climbing to earn them though.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue May 31, 2011 1:49 am

krulecello wrote:Image
now thats the way to go on tour :)

krulecello

Post by krulecello » Tue May 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Yep, an awesome way to tour. Just got back from a 900k tour around Victoria, Australia.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 9177978123

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:55 pm

About two months ago, I made a lowball offer on this bike, thinking the owner would send me packing. Instead, he accepted, and I took it ASAP before he changed his mind or someone else came and swiped it. Bought it for about half of what I could've paid for it. SCORE.

Amazing ride. Hands down, the best bike I've ever had. Waterford, WI - built Paramount with original paintjob and Dura-Ace 7400 Group. The only "new" additions are the pedals and saddle. I've considered adding STI shifters, but maybe later on. Right now, it feels perfect as it is.

I'd been riding it exclusively for the past month or so and had barely touched the other bikes, so I sold them (I also kind of needed the cash).

I do sort of regret selling the fixed gear. Miss having one for just short rides / locking up around town without worrying about thieves. Might get myself a cheap beater for that sometime soon again.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:29 pm

I just got a Specialized Hardrock 29" - it is sweet.