OT: Snowboarding... as in riding... snowboards...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
8O

Re: OT: Snowboarding... as in riding... snowboards...

Post by 8O » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:00 am

UKRuss wrote:I'm proper old school, this is the last board i actually owned back in 1991 was all about the downhill back then, I worked the season in France 90/91. The last time I actually went out thouigh was 1998....I miss it. :(

Wow, haven't seen one of those boards for a long, long time. I only learnt about 10 years ago, but on that kind of board, with hardboots. Suddenly then switching to a twintip freestyle board with softboots was like discovering a whole new sport. Haven't been back to hardboots since...

A whole season is wonderful, eh? Makes such a massive improvement to your boarding too. I also did a season a few years ago in Switzerland - went in a newbie, came out not much better, but absolutely and completely at one with my board and could ride with my eyes closed and half-drunk... :D I've never been so fit in my life (at the same time as building up a massive alcohol tolerance!)... :D

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:05 am

It was a lot of fun that board but damn it was straight-line fast! 8O

The season was great fun, broke my thumb, broke two ribs, had concussion from some head knocks. :lol: But like you say you come out much more experienced and much more at ease on the board.

After that I switched to rental boards with soft boots and appreciated the manouevrability and speed control a lot!

Before we went out in'98 we hit the dry slope over near where I lived in the UK to brush up our skills and it just made me sad and miss the snow...Also we had to cut up camping mats and stuff them down the back of our trousers so you didnt get massive bruises if you hit the mat. :lol:

A lot of fun, I miss it....I'm sure I'll go again whern the kids are older (and if we can afford a family ski holiday 8O )

greta

Post by greta » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:09 am

I'm heading out to Sol in January. I've been riding the same set up for the last 3 years. Trying to decide whether to buy new boots.

aizo

Post by aizo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:47 pm

Never been, but my wife has almost every year since way back when. I'm gonna go to Hokkaido later this year and try my first time. If I'm not scared shitless then it might be a new passion. There are a ton of places to go not too from here. I don't have the French Alps but I'd love to give a whirl. Speaking of the Alps I'd love to fucking go there! Fucking shit looks gorgeous!!
ImageImage

sven303

Post by sven303 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:20 pm

I switched from snowboarding a few years back (I was never that good) to snowblading / skiboarding.

Got to say its a real blast and reading this post has made me start looking for a deal to get away in January.

If your not sure what they are they are 99cm long and its kinda like rollerblading on snow!

Couldnt find a pic of my ones....and i really cant be arsed to go out to the garage, but they look a bit like these but mine are a bit fatter
and have a definately more carving shape to them

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:08 pm

sven303 wrote:I switched from snowboarding a few years back (I was never that good) to snowblading / skiboarding.

Got to say its a real blast and reading this post has made me start looking for a deal to get away in January.

If your not sure what they are they are 99cm long and its kinda like rollerblading on snow!

Couldnt find a pic of my ones....and i really cant be arsed to go out to the garage, but they look a bit like these but mine are a bit fatter
and have a definately more carving shape to them

Noooooooo... this is wrong... this is worse than the mac vs pc debates... :lol:

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:10 pm

aqua_tek wrote:never ridden a snowboard in my life, but i would love to. Need to get on it. I used to surf, so hopefully it'll come naturally to me once i get on it. (doubtful... pretty sure i'll be eating power constantly) :lol:
I've never surfed, but from what I hear from my surfing & snowboarding friends, if you can surf then you'll pick up snowboarding really quickly. Plus you don't have to hang round for ages waiting for a good mountain to come past... :) Do it, you'll be a natural...!

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:37 am

8O wrote:^ Nice looking board - how's the magne-traction, a noticeable difference?
Sorry 80, lost my internet connection. Some Lan problem blue screening........ have to sort out.(on a diff computer)

Love the board. Best I've ridden.

The blurb on magne-traction is crap. "Turns ice to powder blah blah...."(imposable) but it does handle very well.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:22 am

Sibanger wrote:
8O wrote:^ Nice looking board - how's the magne-traction, a noticeable difference?
Sorry 80, lost my internet connection. Some Lan problem blue screening........ have to sort out.(on a diff computer)

The blurb on magne-traction is crap. "Turns ice to powder blah blah...."(imposable) but it does handle very well.
Cool! From the design of the edges, I would imagine that the front rails would hold their edge much better when cutting across icy patches. Is that right? Any problems with accidentally catching edges when you're not expecting it.

I've always wanted to get into LibTech boards, but there's no way I'm going to buy a board without test riding it first, and unfortunately Burton are hugely dominant (pun intended) in Europe in this regard... small or no deposit and you can take a different board out each hour.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:10 am

8O wrote:
Sibanger wrote:

Cool! From the design of the edges, I would imagine that the front rails would hold their edge much better when cutting across icy patches. Is that right? Any problems with accidentally catching edges when you're not expecting it.

I've always wanted to get into LibTech boards, but there's no way I'm going to buy a board without test riding it first, and unfortunately Burton are hugely dominant (pun intended) in Europe in this regard... small or no deposit and you can take a different board out each hour.
Easy fixed.
Just shout me an air ticket to where you ride with a day pass supplied and accommodation , and you can ride my board all day and see if you like it. :)

Never caught an edge on this board. We ride on ice a lot here in Australia, and it does hold better than any other board I've tried.

Have a sweet winter 80!

luv2spin31

Post by luv2spin31 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:29 pm

i so can't wait. my board is cali, and i am ready for the snow to start dropping in tahoe
"music is like photography. it's all in the rhythm of expression."

8O

Post by 8O » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:29 am

8O wrote:My destination, hopefully, this season:

How about you?
Change of plan... decided Saas Fee would be too small for many weeks in one place, so now...

...arguably the best snowboarding location in Europe... :D

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Just made it back from boarding in CO. I miss it already!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:41 am

Our season started off great, but when downhill quickly (no pun intended). Borderline freezing temps and lots of rain have made riding lately just not worth it. Wednesday's are usually my day out with friends, and we haven't been in 3 weeks due to rain. Was supposed to go with the wife this weekend and looks like we night need to cancel. C'mon cold weather! 5 degrees colder and we'd be getting hammered with snow and fresh pow....

hps909

Post by hps909 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:29 am

Sibanger wrote:My baby. :D

Travis Rice 161.5 2007-2008 model, with magne-traction. :)

Been riding for years.(15 or so) I am a pretty solid rider. Speed, not tricks. If I had no responsibilities, all I would do is chase an endless winter.

Being an Australian, our snow season is short and our mountains are hills, but you take what you can get. We are lucky that it snows here at all.

I have traveled to NZ a few of times and had a great trip to Canada, Blackcomb/Whistler, quite a few years back now.

My young family situation keeps me from riding as often as I would like, but that's life.

It has been one of my biggest loves.

same snowboarding is my other drug ..atm i have an earlier model with magne traction also

Image.

will be getting a banana in the states next winter

done seasons at perisher thredbo and hotham in aus... and seasons at mt hutt and cardrona in NZ

have ridden park city and the canyons in utah Image

and niseko in japan (epic pow)
Last edited by hps909 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8