Villalobos hating on Ableton

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
hacktheplanet

Re: Villalobos hating on Ableton

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:51 pm

pepezabala wrote:wouldn't say he is hating on ableton. he just says that you can recognize stuff made in ableton. he probably means stuff that features warp-artifacts, beat repeat and resonator.
Word. You can pick out Live like you can pick out a Moog, a Rickenbacker, Strat, Gibson SG, Nord, 808... It's just how an instrument sounds, not necessarily bad.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:57 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:so what's his solution to the so called sound issue in ableton? "be a rich superstar dj so that you can afford the best equipment and not have to rely on the crap software
no its "be a rich superstar dj so that you can be sponsored by the best equipment manufacturers and not have to rely on software that you only recognize because you've used it so many times not because your ear is hot shit enough to hear an audio engine"

fixed

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:05 pm

^lol, yeh, and yes to the warping artifacts, and also to a lot of the Live plugs having a distinctive sound.

Mostly he says it provides a framework that many don't bother to stray out of, more knocking the complacency of other artists than Live as much.

He more pretty harsh on Berin's sound systems than on Ableton :).

Not much of his music sounds so "sudiophile-ish" to me. What he says :D reminds me of an interview with a rock guitarist that was really hot at the time a while back, interviewer asks "So do you think you will be doing this 20 years from now?" and the guitarist says "Oh, I'll still be playing guitar, but I'll probably have to grow a beard, sit on a stool and play jazz".

[edit] ?? i got kind of pidgin english there for a second.

It is true that as your ear ages, the dissonance of jazz becomes more appealing. I like his stuff well enough, it is good that he sees fit to experiment with jazz influences, but his ability to afford/be sponsored by the high end stuff may suffer as a result :)

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:17 pm

I think he was talking out of his ass personally.

First he says he can tell if something is made in Live, and his reason was that it is mixed internally..................but Logic is better.

Last time I checked, Logic mixes internally too.

He doesn't make any sense. Analog summing is analog summing whether you use Logic or Live. Jazz by it's very nature is analog from start to finish (older jazz that is). It's played by real musicians in a sound booth miked up to an analog board and mixed down to analog tape. Electronic music is the opposite of that. Most electronic music can be composed, created, and mastered right in the box.

So how does he plan to get the analog warmth of Jazz out of electronic music? He doesn't. He just bad mouthed Live because he's talkin' out his ass.

If he really wanted to get that sound, he would get all analog synths and mix it all down in an analog board to an analog medium (tape), but then he would need a set up like this just to start with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDa3ARP2Rww

Let him do that, and he'll come running back to software.
Last edited by kb420 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

xrayfish

Post by xrayfish » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Never heard of him

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:49 pm

xrayfish wrote:Never heard of him
neither had i untill the last time he was mentioned in a thread.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:06 pm

^ oh he's a new and upcoming jazz artist :roll:

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:07 pm

Looks like he's strung out on something, doesn't it?
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

lucien

Post by lucien » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 pm

i always laugh at shit like this. pure analog elitist i mean, dont they realize that once the music is pressed onto a CD its now nothing but ones and zeros?

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Having grown up on Analog gear myself, I get his love of Analog sound. Although, I seriously doubt that he is bringing in proper musicians with 40 years experience, recording it in a nice real acoustic space like an amphitheatre or old jazz ballroom with an 8 track Studer and a Neve analog outboard like he reminisces - most of the old guys have embraced digital now and are moaning less about it than they were 5 years ago. It is possible with some care and attention to get digital recordings sounding good and almost in the same league as a well recorded analog recording.

However, saying things like Logic is transparent, Live is not is ignorance personified. Until Flex time in Logic 9, it's fair to say that most people who had access to both systems would have been warping in Live and it's the warping that can slightly degrade the sound.

Still - I don't know of this Villalobos guy and although I don't think he was deliberately being obnoxious, in the vein of Deadmau5 calling all DJ's talentless scum etc, I think he should get out a bit more and listen to some of the better recordings done in Live, after which he should surely change his mind somewhat.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:40 pm

ze2be wrote:
If you have a good turntable and good speakers, you can hear it is made in Ableton. Logic, for example, is very neutral in sound but Ableton...you can hear it in two seconds.
thats BULLSHIT!! :D
:lol: :lol:
I'd love to make a test with him. Best quote ever.....

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:45 pm

pepezabala wrote:wouldn't say he is hating on ableton. he just says that you can recognize stuff made in ableton. he probably means stuff that features warp-artifacts, beat repeat and resonator.
No. He's claiming that Ableton Live is not neutral.

While the argument about resonator, erosion & co is true, this is total bullshit. Even if Live's audio engine wasn't the best and sounded inferior to Logic's I strongly doubt that he can name the program a tune was mixed in.

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:53 pm

Heard him DJ and the music he plays is FAR from sonically sophisticated.

I hate people discouraging people to use any kind of hard or software when ANYTHING, even cheap stuff, can be used to make great music, with the right inspiration and effort.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:57 pm

lucien wrote:i always laugh at shit like this. pure analog elitist i mean, dont they realize that once the music is pressed onto a CD its now nothing but ones and zeros?
You have to realize, though, that most of his output comes out on vinyl. So his obsession with analog would make sense in this case.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Ricardo+Villalobos

naujpablo

Post by naujpablo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:18 am

very weird answers, hes talking like he doesnt know what hes talking about. computer making music now is limited? LIMITED? the he says something about being limited to virtual synths, who had their own sound.... doenst he know that you can actually record audio to Live? ... like... an analog synth device? hummm.... also, he talks about the sound engine and he says its too "ableton", not like a good thing. the last thing Ive noticed about his talk, is that he kinda hates de internet. thats SO old. "oh yeah. its so bad for the discographics the internets, now ppl is doing things by themselves and thats so bad"... OF COURSE its bad for those enterprises, now they cant steal our money.

twat.

also, he says something reaaaaaally funny about a chilean composer, Jorge González:
On the other side of that vinyl, there's a track with you and Jorge Gonzales. He's someone that you've worked with quite often recently. When did you first meet him?

In 1993.

By then he was a huge pop star in Chile.

He still is one. Whenever he plays there, he'll play two or three days to stadiums that are completely full.
That's absolutely not true. hes in fkin germany, IM IN CHILE and all I can say is that hes not even playing on stadiums, and he is not filling anything because hes a communist rock musician from the 80`s here in chile with his band, Los Prisioneros, and they are so old, now he plays alone with a laptop with Reason on poor crowded places with many other local artists because he cant attract young people.

just needed to say that, even if no one is interested :lol: