sin nombre

all on netflix.

MacGuffin

Re: OT: Good Film

Post by MacGuffin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:41 am

The Happiness of the Katakuris

preview with subtitles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw5fWqmP6fY

the plot is based on a Korean movie called "The Quiet Family" but this version is much more entertaining.

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:11 pm

MacGuffin wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Dances With Wolves. The 4 hour directors cut is especially moving.
is that sarcastic? I've never seen the movie, could be great, but 4 hours of Kevin Costner could also go the other way.
if he isnt then he has horrible taste in movies.

most undeserved oscar ever.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:27 pm

some more from my IMDB vote history:

Das Boot (1981) 8
The Lives of Others (2006) 8
Downfall (2004) 8
The Devil's Backbone (2001) 8
Full Metal Jacket (1987) 8
Heavenly Creatures (1994) 8
In the Loop (2009) 8
Kung Fu Hustle (2004) 8
Amélie (2001) 8
Mary and Max (2009) 8
Persepolis (2007) 8
Tekkon kinkurîto (2006) 8
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009) 8
The Jacket (2005) 8
The Wind That Shakes the Barley (2006) 8
Ip Man (2008) 8

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Watched Toy Story 3 this weekend...It was AWESUMZZz :mrgreen:

Theres a old drive in theatre about 20 minutes from the city & they show 2 or 3 blockbuster movies in a night ($3 per person! Used to be $5 per car load :? ) It's a blast - You can bring a cooler of beer/food or whatever & as you pull into the place they give you a trash bag that you put your trash in & then you just leave the trashbag on the ground where you parked & they'll come & collect/trash them the next morning - And nobody messes with you (i.e. security trying to keep you from drinking or whatever) And if thats not enough - The town is sorta redneckish & if you park in the furthest back where the adults generally park you'll catch the wiff of some grass being puffed & from there its normally open invitation to procede with your own :wink:

Oh yeah - The other movie was Prince of Persia..Ehhh Meh...Could be worse however & slightly entertaining.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:32 pm

thefinger wrote:baader meinhof complex.
I hated this film.

heroin chic hollywood-esque bullshit.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:33 pm

yea me too. i didnt really go mad for it at all. it all seemed totally pointless

zooli

Post by zooli » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:46 pm

BARAKA (1992) / Ron Fricke
MacBookPro
|Live 8|Roland Juno-D|M-audio Oxygen|Novation remote zero-SL|NI Maschine 1.5|
NI AUDIO 8 DJ|KRK V8 Active Monitors|Traktor Scratch Pro

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:48 pm

dum wrote:
heroin chic
:?:
i don't understand this criticism. i didn't get "heroin chic" from my viewing experience at all.

i had no expectations going in, caught it on netflix on a whim, i was pleasantly surprised.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm

heroin chic hollywood-esque bullshit.
Have to agree.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

dum

Post by dum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:20 pm

thefinger wrote:
dum wrote:
heroin chic
i don't understand this criticism. i didn't get "heroin chic" from my viewing experience at all.

i had no expectations going in, caught it on netflix on a whim, i was pleasantly surprised.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin_chic
Heroin chic was a look popularized in mid-1990s fashion and characterized by pale skin, dark circles underneath the eyes, and jutting bones.
I'm saying the film was superficial, and was more concerned with painting the protagonists as sexy
virtually no character development, just came across as your typical hollywood treatment albeit in german.

a load of shit, and bitterly disappointing.

case closed.

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:40 pm

dum wrote:
thefinger wrote:
dum wrote:
heroin chic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin_chic
Heroin chic was a look popularized in mid-1990s fashion and characterized by pale skin, dark circles underneath the eyes, and jutting bones.
I'm saying the film was superficial, and was more concerned with painting the protagonists as sexy
virtually no character development, just came across as your typical hollywood treatment albeit in german.

a load of shit, and bitterly disappointing.

case closed.
i know what heroin chic is. im just asking what exactly makes the movie heroin chic. youve explained why you think its shit. and while its neato that you have your own opinion and everything, i just want to know specifically what is heroin chic about it. i dont understand that complaint in the least.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:30 pm

first of all, I don't give a shit if you like the movie or not. I don't care if you agree with me or not. But I think the film is shit. simple enough. That's not offered as an argument to anyone who likes it.

but I'll answer you once more, and if it's just a clash of opinion you should just leave it at that. heroin chic is an aesthetic, and that's an aesthetic I feel was over-played in the movie. I thought everything about the plot movement, camera work, performance was just a contrived effort to create a kind of cinematic cat-walk on which the models cum actors strut.

A cynical exploitation of a true story... you said you had no expectations, well that must be an aid to appreciating this superficial, overtly sexy/heroin chic, vacuous, hollywood piece of festering rat sick.

The more I think about this piece of shit, the more I question anyone's intelligence for liking it.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:35 pm

If you haven't seen shutter island I have to recommend that. Didn't go in expecting much and ended up really enjoying it.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:43 pm

dum wrote:first of all, I don't give a shit if you like the movie or not. I don't care if you agree with me or not. But I think the film is shit. simple enough. That's not offered as an argument to anyone who likes it.
oooookay :roll: like i said, no problem. you have your opinion, so be it. i never took it as an argument.
but I'll answer you once more, and if it's just a clash of opinion you should just leave it at that. heroin chic is an aesthetic, and that's an aesthetic I feel was over-played in the movie. I thought everything about the plot movement, camera work, performance was just a contrived effort to create a kind of cinematic cat-walk on which the models cum actors strut.
still have not pointed to any specific examples of heroin chic. and i still dont get the complaint.
A cynical exploitation of a true story... you said you had no expectations, well that must be an aid to appreciating this superficial, overtly sexy/heroin chic, vacuous, hollywood piece of festering rat sick.

The more I think about this piece of shit, the more I question anyone's intelligence for liking it.
methinks you have some sort of bone to pick that has zilch to do with heroin chic ... afterall, trainspotting was heroin chic, i dont hear that as an argument against it as a film really.