films n shit

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
funky shit

Re: OT: Good Film

Post by funky shit » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:07 pm

cheers peeps.

Action Jackson

Post by Action Jackson » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:13 pm

Earwax69 wrote: No country for old men,
That was a brilliant movie btw. Sound design is superb, especially since there's no music in it. Only one mariachi band in one scene and some music during end titles!

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
That was a brilliant movie btw. Sound design is superb, especially since there's no music in it. Only one mariachi band in one scene and some music during end titles!
The ending was weird.

Action Jackson

Post by Action Jackson » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:03 pm

funky shit wrote: The ending was weird.
Not weird, Coenesque! A brilliant movie! I plan to buy two movies in the near future; No Country For Old Men is one, Baise-moi is the other.

hiphopdontstop

Post by hiphopdontstop » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:47 pm

Buffalo '66.

TRS80

Post by TRS80 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:35 pm

"Once Upon A Time In The Wild West"
- Excellent atmosphere & soundtrack. Of course, Morricone is mesmerizing.

"The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou"
- I like all of Anderson's films, but this one is my favorite. I think it's also very cool that he works with Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo), and the reinterpretation of classic Bowie is brilliant.

Any of the Cohen brothers films are well worth watching, I'm excited to be seeing "A Serious Man" this afternoon.

Of course Felini is good film, I especially like "La Strada." Another must see is "Satyricon" if only for the bizarre tapestry of characters.

If you can find it, watch "The Devils" by Ken Russell.

"Spirited Away" Hayao Miyazaki. Great animated story.

Anything Stanley Kubirck, but the biggest surprise for me this year was "Barry Lyndon", a period film released long-ago, I'd never seen it until two months ago. Makes me appreciate Kubrick's ability to move between genres.

"Umberto D." -Vittorio DeSica

Sometimes, especially in the winter, I like to go on a Hitchcock spree. My favorites are "Vertigo" "North By Northwest" "Rear Window" and "The Birds."

A movie I want to see but am having difficulty locating is "Death Rides A Horse." Very cool, campy soundtrack.

Speaking of campy soundtracks, can the western genre to this any better? Frankie Laine's "Rawhide" "Mule Train" and "The Cry of the Wild Goose" I believe appeared in several old westerns ("Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" "Blazing Saddles.") I really need to set aside some time to warp those songs.
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 suite; OS 10.6.7

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:27 pm

Emissary wrote:PRIMER

fucking epic, everyone should watch that bad boy.

brilliant flick!

Cronenberg's Crash is fantastic.

also Funny Games is great and shows way less gore and objectification of women than the evening news and makes a point of it...
Last edited by eisnein on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
second class robot

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:38 pm

If you really want to hurt yourself, check out Irreversible. The most violent movie I've ever seen....only movie I've ever had to look away from. A good story too...just really really really disturbingly violent. I felt damaged for months. Also, I don't recommend watching with a female.

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:41 pm

ethios4 wrote:If you really want to hurt yourself, check out Irreversible. The most violent movie I've ever seen....only movie I've ever had to look away from. A good story too...just really really really disturbingly violent. I felt damaged for months. Also, I don't recommend watching with a female.
yeah i would say the same for Anti-Christ
second class robot

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:05 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
thats weird - i never even noticed. have to watch it again now.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:07 pm

as for "no country for old men". i would say "there will be blood" beat it for me. day lewis just chews up the scenery.

that also has a great score by the dude from radiohead.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:24 pm

eisnein wrote: also Funny Games is great and shows way less gore and objectification of women than the evening news and makes a point of it...
Yep. Hardly any violence is shown explicitly in this film, yet I defy anyone not to be utterly shaken to the core after watching it.

When you sign on for this you are making a pact with Haneke to be taken to the limit - it's the ultimate antidote to that Saw/Hostel bullshit in a lot of ways - it's truly horrific.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:15 pm

eisnein wrote:
ethios4 wrote:If you really want to hurt yourself, check out Irreversible. The most violent movie I've ever seen....only movie I've ever had to look away from. A good story too...just really really really disturbingly violent. I felt damaged for months. Also, I don't recommend watching with a female.
yeah i would say the same for Anti-Christ
Got it in my netflix queue now. Looks very interesting. Blue Velvet is one of my favorite movies, so this should work well. :D

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:20 am

I did not 'get' Anti-Christ at all. A few good scenes, but overall I did not get all the praise this one received. Another vote for Oldboy though, along with Lady Vengeance.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:25 am

Renting this tonight. Nothing shocks me, it's getting annoying.
Only thing close was the cut ankle scene in Hostel, which just did the mild bleh!

Good horror film lately seen would be Midnight Meat Train, but I have a soft spot for Clive Barker stories. 8)