First Listen: Massive Attack, 'Heligoland' until Feb. 9

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Sage

Re: First Listen: Massive Attack, 'Heligoland' until Feb. 9

Post by Sage » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:27 pm

I enjoyed it.

But what is it with Bristol bands taking forever to get anything done?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:40 pm

oh yeahh... one of my favorite acts in terms of SOUND !
they took their sweet time releasing this one..!
I have no doubt it's great.. without even listening ..

steko

Post by steko » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:34 pm

This provocative film contains scenes of explicit sexual nature please do not view if you are easily offended or under 18 years of age: Paradise Circus - Massive Attack on Vimeo
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

idioteque

Post by idioteque » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:30 pm

Got my CD copy today. A few listens in and must say I'm loving it. The production and mastering really are top notch. Some fantastic sound in there. IMHO a few tracks offer a nod to Mezzanine. A great choice of vocalists. There a few slightly weaker tracks on my first and second listens. The standout for me at the moment has to be Paradise Circus, Hope Sandoval's vocal is beautiful. I'm sure, as with all MA's previous albums this album will be a grower.
iMac 3.06GHz | MacBook 2.4 GHz | MOTU UltraLite Mk3 | MOTU micro lite | Novation Launchpad | Faderfox Micromodul LC2 | KORG microKONTROL | KORG Kaoss Pad 3 | Live Suite 8.1.1

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:11 pm

idioteque wrote: The standout for me at the moment has to be Paradise Circus, Hope Sandoval's vocal is beautiful.
Yes, Paradise Circus really takes the cake for me - I absolutely love Hope Sandoval's voice, give me chills right to the bone.

"Girl I Love You" and "Splitting the Atom" are the other standout tracks for me.

Remixes are available on Massive Attack's facebook page. You've got to be a logged in facebook user and add them as a fan, but here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.facebook.com/massiveattack?v ... 1700252303

For those that aren't down with that I'm sure the remixes are all over the web as well.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Regarding Hope Sandovall- just read this interesting bit from wikipedia:

Sandoval has stage-fright and prefers to play shows in near darkness with only a dim backlight.[1] Cameras are not allowed at her shows[2], and she is reputed "to be a woman of very few words".[3] Although she has collaborated with other artists, she states, "I like being alone and free to sing on my own and the time and vibe to create something. I get really, really anxious if I have to go into the studio with someone I don't know already." Massive Attack, for example, sent her "beautiful tracks", but they did not "meet up" for their collaboration.[4]

Some interpret her anxieties as "precious", and she has been criticized for being "willfully aloof", "hard to understand", "coy and child-like" and for "hiding behind her long, dark hair" during performances.[5][6] In a rare instance of interacting with her audience members, during some technical difficulties at the 2009 Bowery Ballroom show in NYC, Sandoval stated, "I'm on the verge of throwing a tantrum" and apologized to her audience, "I'm really sorry, you guys." When asked by an audience member if she loved New York, she stated, "I absolutely fucking hate New York... but I love everyone who is here. I'm a country girl", alienating some fans with her bluntness..

8)

steko

Post by steko » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:08 pm

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6