Men At Work: Guilty of Plagiarism

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
UKRuss

Men At Work: Guilty of Plagiarism

Post by UKRuss » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:25 am

Unbelievable.

Aussie Federal Court rules that Men At Works biggest 1980s hit, Down Under plagiarised a 1930s campfire song: The Kookaburra Sits In The Old Gum Tree.

Specifically the flute riff which sounds identical and 'steals' a few bars from the other tune. Men At Work, Sony BMG Music Ent and EMI Songs Australia must pay compensation to Larrikin music who own the rights to the Kookaburra song.

jappens mroe than we think this kind of shit.

George Harrison - My Sweet Lord and The Chiffons - Shes So Fine, Harrison found guilty of pagiarism (but he bought thr rights to the Chiffons song anyway.)

Madonna - Frozen and Salvatiore Acquaviva - Ma Vie Fout L'Camp. His claim that madonna stole his melody was upheld.

Beyonce - Halo and Kelly Clarkson - Already Gone Same producer, same drums beat ,same piano melody. Whoops.

The ment at work payment by EMI won't go down well...see my EMI Thread.

hoffman2k

Re: Men At Work: Guilty of Plagiarism

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:34 am

UKRuss wrote:Madonna - Frozen and Salvatiore Acquaviva - Ma Vie Fout L'Camp. His claim that madonna stole his melody was upheld.
That song is banned in Belgium now :lol:

rozling

Post by rozling » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:14 am

You know I hope Timbaland eventually gets his come-uppance for that acidjazzed evening shit. Looks like he never will though...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:15 am

I thought there was a limit on how long copyright was valid for, I believe it's currently 50 years in the USA, I remember that publishing companies were trying to get it increased to 75 years because they were scared of losing a bucketload of royalties on Beatles and similar super popular 60s bands.

1930s is just taking the piss. Why didn't the ancient Incas sue the Aboriginal australians because that flute sounds like flutes of the Andes from 300 years ago??? It never ends.

Most lawsuits though are settled and usually for very little. Coldplay/Satriani anyone.

Also - Jeez - Down Under was a hit in 1983, I've heard of procrastination, but taking 27 years to file a lawsuit :!:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:09 pm

You can all expect to get sued for sampling in the year 2033. Bands of the 70's are waiting for maximum collective impact.