EMI Financial Woes...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
UKRuss

EMI Financial Woes...

Post by UKRuss » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:29 am

EMI £1.75bn in the red.

According to 'The Grauniad' this morning.

'The loss is one of the biggest black holes ever seen in private equity backed business and threatens to shred the reputation of Guy Hands whose Terra Firma Group paid £4bn for EMI just before the credit crunch in 2007. It could ultimately push the control of the company into US Bankers hands.'

I say, 'So as you sow, so shall ye reap'

I don't care about EMI and I certainly don't give a shit about Mr Guy Hands, City Financier.

They both get what they deserve.

silveriofunk

Re: EMI Financial Woes...

Post by silveriofunk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 am

The music industry has failed to see that people are still willing to pay for music, just in a different way...

It's amazing to see that they haven't really adapted to what consumers want, it's been 10 years since the ipod FFS, also, people have good internet connection, which makes easier to download stuff

really weird to be honest, since they had the money to do it

they lacked vision and a leader

i mean madonna, U2, metallica those massive artists are bringing NOTHING new to the table, they did 20 years ago when the industry was different but now?, screw them (big metallica fan, btw)

release an album, make some money, tour, make loads of money....they're using cds as promo tools anyway, so why charge for them?, radiohead took a bold step with in rainbows, a very cool album for free? por a pound? a penny? you choose... NIN did the same, prince released an album with the newspaper, i mean be creative since people will download it for free anywaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! before the release, why fight your consumers???

things are different for the smaller bands and that's why they work in a different way (or should)

the model is obsolete, time for a change!

my rant of the day!

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:07 am

The main thing here is that companies and corporate want to keep things *as they have been for decades*, which is indeed harder than making up a decent way to profit from music sales these days. The digital world has freed up things and humans, still we see an "ancient regime" trying to hold up to itself to mantain levels, incomes, statuses. It's stupid, but I have to go to work everyday burning time, fuel and money to make things that could be done from my home. And this replicates at different levels and scales.
It's not the record companies that can't understand the times, they're just hopelessly fighting them, as an old actress lifting the skin and wearing wigs.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:17 am

abletoff wrote:The main thing here is that companies and corporate want to keep things *as they have been for decades*, which is indeed harder than making up a decent way to profit from music sales these days.
Why harder? Seems pretty easy if you have a bit of cash on the side to start off with.

1) Buy the rights to some cheap (as in non number 1 hit) song.
2) Pay a few guys to search the music world for songs that have the same melody (there's only 12 notes, so considering the number of songs published there's got to be one).
3) Sue and watch as the millions roll in.

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Abletoff wrote:
The main thing here is that companies and corporate want to keep things *as they have been for decades*,
I disagree with you on this one. Look at the way the banks have been so creative in inventing new ways of using (and losing) our money!