MESHUGGAH (polyrythmic extreme metal band)

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
dna598

Re: MESHUGGAH (polyrythmic extreme metal band)

Post by dna598 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:22 am

btw I understand your boredom with 4/4 entirely!
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:39 am

Thanks,

indeed, classical 4/4 is overloaded everywhere in our occidental countries...

the only one using 'polyrythm" on an electro tune, that I know, besides me, is BumperFunk with it's remix of MIA ("Bang")
it's a pain in the ass to mix in a DJ set, but it's soooo fun!

I like 4/4, but when polyrythms come into that grid and disturbs me, I like it a lot!!!!

"eeeeh, what the f***k???? it should be beatmatched!! why not???? eeeeeeeh, well..... let's see...." :lol:

Meshuggah made me addict with this kind of "strangeity", and I'd like it to be much more used in "classical 4/4' electro stuff!

cheers

EDIT:

http://www.ommaniband.com/

http://www.ommaniband.com/download/

here is a link to download for free my friend's last album.
it's a kind of crossover between Tool, Meshuggah, Porcupine Tree... They invested lots of $$$ in the recording and mastering, but, sadly, they didn't find any label to produce their album,

So they decided to release it for free.

Feel free to download, share, comment...

The singer is my best friend since college, and I love every man on this band.

(sorry, no sexy chix in this link, only good progressive metal music... :wink: )

Cheers

madlab

Post by madlab » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:59 am

You should listen to this : a friend of mine with his strange metal band. He's also a great fan of messhuggah.
http://www.myspace.com/1980theband
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:55 pm

1980!!!! I live their album, discovered them with a review in the magazine "Noise"...

I add them to the list RIGHT NOW.

cheers

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:08 pm

You might like Enslaved. They are my favorite metal band right now....the best shit I've heard in a long time. Sort of progressive black metal.....not nearly as rhythmically complex as Meshuggah, but sometimes using odd times, compound meters, lots of interesting harmonic activity, and I absolutely love the vocals.

Ground - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urq5jMar8M4
RUUN - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6-QpoKRn8

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:09 pm

Really do love that poly part in your track....fits well in the context, but I'd also dig a whole track like that. Good stuff!

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:50 pm

thanks ethios, I'll check Enslaved, I know this band only by name for now...

I'm allways interested in discovering metal bands... (I'm absolutely addict to this music) :mrgreen:

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:05 am

Oh yes, a HUGE +1 to Meshuggah. I got into them a couple years after Chaosphere was released and haven't looked back. "New Millienium Cyanide Christ" was my anthem for a while, and I'm sure my friends got more than a little irritated at my constant evanglelism. Ahh well, brilliant band! I must say, it's great to see people on the Ableton forum talking about metal.

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:59 am

Meshuggah was one of the best things I heard on the Satellite Radio Metal channel (when I still had it). Other names I jotted down quickly (it's a bitch to try to drive and write at the same time were Devildriver and Shadows Fall.) Even tho I love the bangin, extreme metal vocals are hard to do without it becoming sort of a rut.

Thanks for that list. There's something to take into the used CD store... actually, those are gradually closing one by one around here and soon there won't be any, I wot.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:14 am

I was big into metal in the early 90's. Most of my friends and I were in different local metal bands. What still fascinates me is that those guys were more into theory, technique, and experimentation than any other musician type I met before or sense and most people wouldn't really know it when listening to the genre. I wasn't really into all that which probably explains why I'm writing 4/4 electronica now. :)

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:10 pm

WE ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!

happy to see other metalheads around here!!!

I did an industrial/metal solo "side project" 3 years ago http://www.myspace.com/monstrejumoindus

addictive drums, my guitar, some whispering into heavy boss distortion, and lots of polyrythmic constructions and some virus Ti electro sounds...

I never finished this "project", that was more of a fun session for me... was a kind of catharsis for never having beeing able to integrate a real metal band... (I'm not a good guitar or drums player, really amateur...)

cheers!

EDIT :
What still fascinates me is that those guys were more into theory, technique, and experimentation than any other musician type I met before or sense and most people wouldn't really know it when listening to the genre. I wasn't really into all that which probably explains why I'm writing 4/4 electronica now
Technique! +1000
Fascinating : +1000

4/4 : I was astonished to discover that I could LOVE 4-on-the-floor beats when I began listening to techno, but I never quit listening to hyper-technical-extreme-polyrythmic metal besides.
I often try to merge the 2 in my compositions, but having to make things more simple so as not to loose the average dance floor dancer :wink:
Fun thing is to make polyrythmic parts as a breakdown in a 4/4 song, then when it comes back to 4:4, the crowd gets MAD :twisted: