Skating as In skateboarding

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Hidden Driveways

Re: Skating as In skateboarding

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Old school: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... ilit=natas

Mullen & Natas all the way...

...and Mike McGill's Miller Flip still rules.

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm

Skated for a buncha years... strictly street. Getting ready to buy a complete, I think, even though I always used to put my own shit together before. Things have changed quite a bit and the pricing is pretty good. A little concerned about the width of the board (8.125 X 32) but a friend tells me I'll get used to it and it makes for nice ollies.

Really feeling the need to go out and get some grinds, rail slides to fight off the depression and for exercise. Use to spend every waking hour just rolling around town with friends attacking banks, curbs, ditches etc. That's what I love about street skating... you're just taking all this crap laid down for what ever strip mall biz and making some art outta it.

Here's the specs on the complete I'm thinking of getting. 80 bucks. Seems way cheaper than piecing it together and will be a good intro to the new setups?

Foundation Deck 8.125 x 32
Ruckus trucks
Foundation 52mm Wheels
Pig ABEC 3 bearings

It's weird... alot of wheels don't even have hardness ratings these days?

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:32 pm

continuous wrote:
It's weird... alot of wheels don't even have hardness ratings these days?
Use to use 92's... Fav wheels before they went small Bulitt 66's... Buying a complete today is a lot cheaper than in 87...
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:33 pm

Seems to me they dont make wheels as good as they once did.

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:42 pm

loved my last set of Bullet 66's, 92a i think they were :)

also had a set of slime balls and big balls lol (awaits flaming :D)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:47 pm

I like some of the wheels with the harder inner cores actually. Riding some Darkstar Light Knights with Bones Swiss bearings, fast and durable.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:53 pm

^
ya... The only thing about the complete is those wheels. I want some softies... Like 85a as I had had a couple wrist breakin falls with the hard ones on my current stick (sword and skull on newer board shape, trackers trucks which kinda stink).

Any good sites to check out for sk8ing besides YouTube? Still get Thrasher now and again...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:10 pm

No idea to be honest, I always thought the skating scene was kind of wack myself. Kind of like snowboarding too, love doing it, but all the online hangouts are full of idiotic teenage flame wars and stuff. :)

Check out the videos "Tent City" and "Cheese & Crackers" though, both are really really good.
Tarekith

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Tarekith wrote:No idea to be honest, I always thought the skating scene was kind of wack myself. Kind of like snowboarding too, love doing it, but all the online hangouts are full of idiotic teenage flame wars and stuff. :)

Check out the videos "Tent City" and "Cheese & Crackers" though, both are really really good.
I hear ya. Thanx for the recommends.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:57 pm

continuous wrote:^
ya... The only thing about the complete is those wheels. I want some softies... Like 85a as I had had a couple wrist breakin falls with the hard ones on my current stick (sword and skull on newer board shape, trackers trucks which kinda stink).

Any good sites to check out for sk8ing besides YouTube? Still get Thrasher now and again...
For wheels, you can still grab ratbones 85a- here's where I got mine: http://longboardskater.com/mm5/merchant ... y_Code=PPW Check the bottom of the list. I've got the 60mm 85a. I've got a set of 95a's for smoother surfaces, but the 85's are my main wheel.

This is the spot where I ride most:

Lansdowne skatepark, it's an old 70's era park and the concrete is pretty rough - ridable for sure, but not smooth like you'd get in a brand spanking new park. That's why I dig the 85a's - they aren't very slidey, which is good in terms of control but not as good if you do a lot of slides - but at this park they are really smooth, fast and grippy. Grippy is good for me as I'm just getting back in to it myself.

For online resources, check http://www.concretedisciples.com/ for a list of parks near you or anywhere you might be going.

In terms of community, http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/ is a decent spot, definitely lots of crazy young'uns but lots of cool mellow old dudes as well.

It's a longboarding forum so the focus is kind of different, lots of cats into speed-boarding (which is pretty rad IMHO), slalom, and general cruising. A lot of the boards these peeps are riding are completely different than what I'm used to (think reverse mounted drop through trucks, very different board shapes, etc.) but they're specific boards for different riding disciplines. Some of them look pretty cool.

For some reason it seems a lot of long-boarders consider themselves some sort of different breed from skateboarders, to me skateboarding is skateboarding, whether you're riding a tiny posicle deck or a 55 inch dancer. But whatever, I can ignore that and in all the vibe is kind of old school, which I dig.

I post there sometimes, mostly in the park, ditch and pool riding section, but overall it's a pretty cool community and the whole vibe about riding there is one I like, cruising, carving, going fast, having fun.

Inch Lo wrote:you weirdo's nowadays have the deck looking the same at both ends and the wheels look too small to get across paving slab gaps :lol:
Hey, I feel you man, I just can not get with a small board myself - check my setup - I dig the new school cut with a fat nose and tail, but I can't get with a small board. My setup is 36 inches long by 9.5 inches wide. For me it's a perfect size board for cruising parks, ditches, street, and pools. Also not too big for the occasional ramp.

I grabbed it here, it's my second purchase from these guys and I've been really happy with the service.

Gravity Pool 36 from longboardskater.com

The pool 35 is slick too - here

If you're set on an old school flavor with new school tech you might check out the Gravity Bruce Logan board: here

For bigger beefier boards check out offerings by:

Gravity - as mentioned
Earthwing - I had a killer earthwing setup, 36" x 10" wide, thing was a pig, but amazing. Unfortunately a crackhead ripped it off out of my truck a few months back.
Pool King
Alva
Coldwar

Check the forums I linked above, there's some good offerings in the park pool and ditch section on longboard skater. This thread in particular might give you some ideas. It's like the "post your setup and sexy cat" thread for fat pool boards.

:)
Last edited by smutek on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Yeah, the long board thing is huge here in Seattle, see a lot of guys riding those. Mainly due to how hilly it is here I guess. I'm tempted to get one myself...
Tarekith

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:51 pm

@smutek

That is a beautiful park! Have to say I do love the carving, fun vibe of it! I live in Portland, OR so there's Burnside... can't see myself there... I like roaming the streets! Might put a parking curb in my basement for rainy weather grind sessions.

Thanx for the infos man... will check it out! Any opinion on Ruckus trucks? I used to ride thunders but the completes don't have em. Probably won't matter much as I will be pretty mellow beyond grinds.

That new setup of yours looks so nice. 9.5 seems like a nice size!

cheers

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Tarekith wrote:I like some of the wheels with the harder inner cores actually. Riding some Darkstar Light Knights with Bones Swiss bearings, fast and durable.
I think Satori still makes smaller cruiser (soft) wheels.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

dru

Post by dru » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:09 am

I skated for about 9 years from 96. Grew up admiring Kareem Campbell, Daewon, Mullen, etc. Used to skate tech street, flips in and out of everything and the occasional set but I was far from consistant! Did the whole sponsorship thing, etc but the local scene just got too up themselves trying to better one another so I turned to music and haven't looked back. :)

still got my setup though, Blueprint deck, Swiss bearings (nothing less, I rode fast), Indy lo's (koston sig) and fiddy mm wheels, no bigger. :P