Producing House with Ableton Live: Bass & Synth - Lounge Ed!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
timothyallan

Producing House with Ableton Live: Bass & Synth - Lounge Ed!

Post by timothyallan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:28 am

Right, well since all the cool kids no longer hang out in the general forum, it's time for some double posting madness. I'll also try and liven this post up by dropping some "cool" phrases so it will be accepted more than it would in the General forum. Daftpunk.

It's baaaaack! After my first video in the series was so well received, I decided to do another! Summing Bus! This one focuses on tips for Synths and Bass for EDM, mostly bass.

Almost 2 and 1/2 hours of tutorials covering goodies such as:

Making a Bass from any Sample
Tuning Sampled Bass
Bass Keying with the Drums
Bass EQ without an EQ
Bass Layering
Resampling Bass Notes
Frequency Splitting
Sidechaining Bass
Sequencing Basslines
MIDI Resampling
Sequence using your Voice
Filter & Env Modulation
Break it Down
Sub Bass Tips
Sub Bass Kick
Synth Swells
Matching Kick & Bass
Dubstep & Wobble Basslines
Creating a Bass Bomb

Some of the tips involving complex midi routing etc are pretty Live specific, but I'd say that 85% of the content can be applied to any DAW.

Things that aren't included are:

Making Daft Punk basslines
Why does my summing bus sound so much different than DAW X
Why can't I warp an 85bpm hip hop acapella to my new 140bpm tarnce track without artifacts
How do Daft Punk get their basslines to sound like Daft Punk.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!
It's currently 33% off for a short time as an intro price. Hurry, act now as supplies are limited! I won't be undersold!

http://www.groove3.com/str/producing-ho ... synth.html

Sage

Re: Producing House with Ableton Live: Bass & Synth - Lounge Ed!

Post by Sage » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:20 am

timothyallan wrote:Things that aren't included are:

Making Daft Punk basslines
Why does my summing bus sound so much different than DAW X
Why can't I warp an 85bpm hip hop acapella to my new 140bpm tarnce track without artifacts
How do Daft Punk get their basslines to sound like Daft Punk.
What's the point then? :roll:

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:54 pm

Don't worry, he kids.

'Timothy Allan' is an anagram of 'Daft Punk', so i suspect that all their dirty little french secrets are hiding in there too, perhaps one must play the DVD backwards at the wrong BPM to get messages from Daft Punk!

8O

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:40 pm

These tutorials are obviously The Shit because after releasing them he started doing down tempo music which means he gave away all his house secrets and doesn't want to be accused of sounding like himself.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:41 am

Next in the series is going to be how you can squeeze EVEN MORE supersaws in your track for Tarnce.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:22 am

Loved a lot of this though Tim.

Some of it I suspect I made up in my mind as I keep watching them on the train and the combination of your soothing speak and the motion of the train sent me to a land that was somewhere between reality and fantasy...so the tips on growing cucumbers indoors in the cold season was probably not real, but a good tip anyway.

The music related stuff I suspect was real and most enjoyable. Particularly loving the re-sampling, single cycle waveform stuff.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:29 pm

timothyallan wrote:Next in the series is going to be how you can squeeze EVEN MORE supersaws in your track for Tarnce.
Will this included the bonus "The gated pad pattern you should never deviate from" tutorial?

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:20 pm

I'm about half way through watching these. Total ripoff of Weekend At Bernie's, but whatever. Everything's already been done before.

What I really like about your tutorials is even though they are House-centric they are showing me a lot of how Live and Live's devices work that don't really get covered in tutorials that are just generic lessons on how Live works. And these methods could easily be applied to all types of music.

One thing no mortal man can seem to get across to me in tutorials is subtleties. When people start fiddling with slight frequency adjustments or applying slight effects I really don't hear the difference, but I know this can make a huge difference if they're being done all over a mix. Possibly I can only learn this in a lab environment while hooked up to probes that would shock me when the difference happens or if I don't hear it.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:52 pm

beats me wrote:I'm about half way through watching these. Total ripoff of Weekend At Bernie's, but whatever. Everything's already been done before.

What I really like about your tutorials is even though they are House-centric they are showing me a lot of how Live and Live's devices work that don't really get covered in tutorials that are just generic lessons on how Live works. And these methods could easily be applied to all types of music.
indeed, there wasn't much i haven't grabbed up anywhere else, but it was nicely combined, giving it structure and meaning. and the new stuff i grabbed where all instant gems :)
One thing no mortal man can seem to get across to me in tutorials is subtleties. When people start fiddling with slight frequency adjustments or applying slight effects I really don't hear the difference, but I know this can make a huge difference if they're being done all over a mix. Possibly I can only learn this in a lab environment while hooked up to probes that would shock me when the difference happens or if I don't hear it.
yeah i remember in the first tutorial series, where he created ghost notes for the hihats. i could not hear ANYTHING (and i made it really loud). but doing the same by myself in an own project, i noted the subtle changes, as then, i knew exactly what i was doing. so i could hear it afterwards.

i sure get the next collection again, not really mattering if there's new stuff in it. it fuses the information well together, which sometimes is much more important.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:26 am

Interesting about the ghost notes... could have been because I have to do all the vids in headphones. But listening on monitors was fine as well. It might be the elephantitus of the ears I have ;)

Perhaps I can include a bonus videos on proper growing techniques for cucumbers in my next one!

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:31 am

timothyallan wrote:Interesting about the ghost notes... could have been because I have to do all the vids in headphones. But listening on monitors was fine as well. It might be the elephantitus of the ears I have ;)

Perhaps I can include a bonus videos on proper growing techniques for cucumbers in my next one!
you still reached your goal: you made me want to hear them, want to find out wtf you where talking about :) and so i played around with them :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.