Is experimental electronica in a rut?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
ethios4

Re: Is experimental electronica in a rut?

Post by ethios4 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Yea, Analord just didn't do it for me, although a decent set of work.

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:50 pm

ethios4 wrote:
Lazos wrote:I like some "experimental" stuff, but all multimedia performance gimmicks aside, I'd still rather pay money for a consummate musician(s) to perform sublime music on their real instruments any day or night.
And what if those musicians were playing a classical symphony? Who is the musician there? Is it the people holding the 'real instruments', or is it the dead guy holding a pen 200 years ago? Both?

My point is this : there are all kinds of different musical experiences, all with different strengths/weaknesses. To me, a DJ spinning records made by someone else is every bit as valid as a live band, or a classical symphony. There is an experience to be had with a DJ spinning techno that would be utterly impossible with a live band, or even live electronic musicians. Similarly, there is an experience possible with a live band that a DJ could never accomplish. I don't think either is any more 'real' than another. Similarly, there is an experience possible with multimedia that is not possible any other way.
Yep, I agree. Never once said that DJing or any other form was invalid. I'll go out to the clubs and dance to DJ music occasionally and enjoy myself immensely. I was simply stating my opinion of what I prefer. Yes, they are all REAL musical activities and experiences. They all incorporate different skills (though comparing the skills and time spent at the craft of a classical musician vs. the craft of a DJ is like apples to oranges). Damn. Shouldn't have used the word "real." It gets everyones' panties in a wad!

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:59 pm

Sorry if the tone sounded offended or anything. I was having a bad day and went on a bit of a rant that was rather unrelated to what you were saying! :oops:

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:13 pm

No, it's all good. I should probably be more mindful of using a term like "real instruments" in a forum full of electronic musicians and DJs!

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:49 pm

derzai wrote:Symphonic poem for 100 metronomes, Ligeti.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8v-uDhcDyg
Nice, had not ever actually heard that before, just read about it.

I've always wanted to do an arrangement of Terry Riley's In C using follow actions in Ableton. Participated in a few performances...a lot of fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjR4QYsa9nE

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:27 am

:oops: sorry for the ot, but this thread gave me a flashback to the early/mid 90's when I first was turned on to psychic tv/genesis porridge, FSOL, scorn, helios creed and such (exit planet dust). Being a rock/grunge/metal guitarist at the time, this stuff blew my mind and I was never the same musically.....

For me, thanks to somebody who posted a kraut rock documentary on this forum, my newest experimental electronica, has been a rediscovery of that genre.....

The latest shpongle was my biggest disappointment of the year.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:22 pm

aisling wrote:The latest shpongle was my biggest disappointment of the year.
I still haven't listened all the way through it....some parts I have really enjoyed so far, but it's also surprisingly boring....haven't heard any new ideas really yet, just fancier production. It was only ever supposed to be a trilogy...

andreX

gotta check this out:

Post by andreX » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:01 pm

MacBookPro 15" retina 2013, MacOSX 10.13, Faderfox LX1, LV1, VDMX, Live 9

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:19 pm

ethios4 wrote:
aisling wrote:The latest shpongle was my biggest disappointment of the year.
I still haven't listened all the way through it....some parts I have really enjoyed so far, but it's also surprisingly boring....haven't heard any new ideas really yet, just fancier production. It was only ever supposed to be a trilogy...
I agree, I'm putting more interest into younger brother from here on out. I also thought a new hallucinogen was in the works, have I missed something?

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:45 pm

There's been mention of it occasionally for the past few years, and I heard several new tracks when I saw him live, but no recent mention. Hallucinogen live gets dissed a lot for being stuck in the past, but I have never danced so hard in my life! Wow, has it really been 14 years since a Hallucinogen release???

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:00 pm

ethios4 wrote:There's been mention of it occasionally for the past few years, and I heard several new tracks when I saw him live, but no recent mention. Hallucinogen live gets dissed a lot for being stuck in the past, but I have never danced so hard in my life! Wow, has it really been 14 years since a Hallucinogen release???
not to seem like I am stuck in a time warp, but some of the my most inspirational (tarnce) music goes back that far..... Although there are plenty of amazing new releases out there as well.
I guess I am a sucker for the goa, and such.....
Tragically, newer astral projection releases never hold up to the ones back in the day.
:oops: Even 'mindfield' "lets get stoned and watch the freaks", still gets rotation in my play list

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Yes I agree! There is some new stuff I really like, but aside from fancier production, I feel like the goa/psy from the 90's often has more replay value...actual melodies/creativity/journeys. So much of today's psy is a bassline with noises on top. That works for a few listens, but I don't connect emotionally to that sort of thing....I'm not reminded of a certain time or feeling when listening back.

Paul Oakenfold's goa mixes are still to this day some of my favorite music ever, and it's all classic mid-90's goa/psy....incredibly inspirational! What a journey....so much variety, and mixing of genres!

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:26 pm

ethios4 wrote:Yes I agree! There is some new stuff I really like, but aside from fancier production, I feel like the goa/psy from the 90's often has more replay value...actual melodies/creativity/journeys. So much of today's psy is a bassline with noises on top. That works for a few listens, but I don't connect emotionally to that sort of thing....I'm not reminded of a certain time or feeling when listening back.

Paul Oakenfold's goa mixes are still to this day some of my favorite music ever, and it's all classic mid-90's goa/psy....incredibly inspirational! What a journey....so much variety, and mixing of genres!
You nailed it with the "not being reminded of a certain feeling or time".
I have tremendous respect for Oakenfold, considering his involvement in the manchester scene, and progression into electronica...

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:41 pm

I love that mid 90s era of Trance. Really good stuff, definitely not the cheddar you get these days.

keefbaker

Post by keefbaker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:02 pm

I think the problem with a lot of "experimental electronica" is it isn't really experimental any more. A lot of people just want to re-write Tri Repaetae over and over again to the point now where it's as much a defined genre as bluegrass or punk.

But there is a lot of great stuff out there! Defrag's Lament Element album is a fabulous dubstep/breakcore/idm hybrid just to mention one.

Maybe some of the big guns aren't doing much in the way of exciting work but there are others who are!