Fuck After I listened to this I didn't even want to make bea

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
1nfinitezer0

Re: Fuck After I listened to this I didn't even want to make bea

Post by 1nfinitezer0 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:14 am

agreed, ableton browser is not ideal. but putting a rack of samples with a macro mapped to select (distribute evenly) speeds this up substantially.

SPUMD

Post by SPUMD » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:55 am

dna598 wrote:lol @ this thread and the sudden response from this dude.

Its true the video is not helping much with advertising how "fast" this workflow in that logic template is. Seems like it would get Logic users some of the way to Drum Rack functionality. But we can presume that he knows NOT of how badass drum racks really are anyway.
Dragging vst's/plugs around drum racks is really the be all and end all for me anyway. Also, I have found you can browse and replace samples very nicely even if the browser is SHIT for searching.

Dont use logic no more either!
Hi its me... the guy..

I have watched this tutorial about Drum Racks and i must say its a nice thing. The best features are...

1. that the pads match the pads on screen
2. when he opens the individual tracks to mix in context with one click
3. Creating new clips with darg and drop

I don't know Live so well to see where this leading to, because i never saw how someone mixes in Live.
I searched a tutorial on youtube and found this one Ableton 8 Tutorial - Mixing.

I watched like parents don't understand.... :lol: ...if I ever read again any dis about my tutorials here in this Forum i'm gonna let you hit this video. :lol:

But he explains a little more about drumtracks. It wasn't wastin time.

Ok like i told you I checked Drumtracks and pointed out the nice things but as the other said browsing sounds an previewing them on the fly seems not to work that good.

Maybe 1nfinitezer0 can explain how this macro thing works.
1nfinitezer0 wrote:agreed, ableton browser is not ideal. but putting a rack of samples with a macro mapped to select (distribute evenly) speeds this up substantially.
And to be honest most of this you can do with a simple exs Track in Logic when you know how to use it. But the things that I pointed out about Drumtracks are really cool and special.

If you compare it to the default logic possibilities Live has an advantage.
But not if you compare it with the UB Noizflow Template.

1. Workspace (The UB Noizflo takes it)
When you tweak the sounds in Drumtracks (me I work with an 24" with 1920x1200) you only work in at the bottom of the display using 1/5 of the hole monitor. Let me say it in nice words...thats horrible and must have been developed by Osama Bin Laden to terrorize the Ableton users. So you work at the bottom to tweak the sound and in the browser to feed it with sounds. The browser is resizable thats nice. So at the end in live you work in a L. Maybe thats the price for the clip view.

The UB Noizflow uses the hole 1920x1200. Its much more comfortable.
Here compare it

2. Loading sounds (the UB Noizflow takes it)
Instead of drag 'n dropin the sounds which counts 3 moves you simply load them with a click. Thats three times faster if you preview the sounds on the fly. Which means the beat is playin in a loop and you replace the drum sample while its playin.

3. Library search (the UB Noizflow takes it)
And the search of the Logic library compared to Live is i think 10x faster. In both cases i searched for the term "Kick"

4. From one Kit to single outputs (Live Drumtracsk takes it)
I have seen nothing faster.... this is an unbeliveble cool feature of Drumtracks. I wonder if it has a limit.
In the UB Noizflow you can do it with copy and past very "quick" too but compared to Drumtracks its 15x slower.

5. Sound mapping orientation (the UB Noizflow takes it)
With the straight and consequent orientation to the GM Drum Map in the UB Noizflow you don't have to think anymore where the sounds are or where to place them and you are very compatible to all Midi files out there.

Ok the DEATH MATCH result between the UB Noizflow and Ableton Live default.... so far.... is
4:1 for the UB Noizflow.

Come on booooooyz doesn't look good for you :lol:

Just a few words on Battery and Guru. I owe them myself and i was not satisfied. The UB Noizflow challenges straight with them. Even those Plugin solutions will have a hard competition.

All the Best
Djordji

p.s.: I'm gonna smash the shit out of you all ...peace :mrgreen:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 pm

:lol: It says "super professional" on the UI.

This actually looks useful. I have Logic 8 which is kind of collecting dust but I plan to spend more time with it when I upgrade to 9 soon. Don't want to spend a lot of time learning things in 8 when things are improved or different in 9. I realize nothing is going to be vastly different, but still.

I only used Logic for the mixdown of 1 track that I composed in Live and bounced the individual tracks. Logic takes some time to set up for your workflow, which I actually enjoyed, but I spent more time doing that than working on the actual mix. Logic is like buying a new house and going to town on the interior design. Live is like setting things up on a street corner all renegade style and just getting to the task at hand.

I'll probably revisit this once I upgrade to 9 because it looks like it will come in handy.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 pm

I've had something dirty stuck in my mouth... :(

SPUMD

Post by SPUMD » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:28 pm

UKRuss wrote:I've had something dirty stuck in my mouth... :(
Come on dude don't make me feel like a gay... :lol:
beats me wrote::lol: It says "super professional" on the UI.
Yes a friend of mine made this MPC EXS Theme and i told him to put the "super" in front of the "professional" because its a MPC like Theme and Akai uses the term "professional" next to the Logo. I thought thats so corny we should top it.
:lol:

But you can use the templates only with Logic 9
beats me wrote:This actually looks useful. I have Logic 8 which is kind of collecting dust but I plan to spend more time with it when I upgrade to 9 soon. Don't want to spend a lot of time learning things in 8 when things are improved or different in 9. I realize nothing is going to be vastly different, but still.

I only used Logic for the mixdown of 1 track that I composed in Live and bounced the individual tracks. Logic takes some time to set up for your workflow, which I actually enjoyed, but I spent more time doing that than working on the actual mix.
What you mean with it takes some time? To set up the Logic environment for the UB Noizflow takes days even if you know what you doing. But you don't have to you can download it for free at the projects hompage.

Here is the Template v1a

Here are...
Free DRoptimized EXS Librarys:
1. LoFac Pack v1 --> for Logic Factory Sounds
2. Goldbaby FreeStuff Pack v1 --> for Goldbabys Free Stuff

And here the
Video Tutorials Playlists:
1. UB Noizflow --> (Playlist)
2. Logic Basics

..to explain the basic intaraction

For a Final Mix I would not use the UB Noizflow because everything what the UB Noizflow is for is already done(or should have been done) when you move to this step.
beats me wrote:Logic is like buying a new house and going to town on the interior design. Live is like setting things up on a street corner all renegade style and just getting to the task at hand.
I'm not native english but i feel what you say. The few days when i checked Live or better said when i was forced to check Live more in detail :mrgreen: i didn't feel like Live is the ultimate tool to capture the Idea you have an mind. I don't think that it works better or much worser than with Logic.
But when it comes to tweak loops. time audio and a modern arrangement Live seems to offer the greatest opportunities.
In Logic you have touchtracks but this is horrible to use if you want to make some more advanced settings and than you can't record every Track to the Arrange like in Live. It ain't comparable to Lives power.
I got to think about how to integrate Live in future productions to take advantage of this power.
beats me wrote:I'll probably revisit this once I upgrade to 9 because it looks like it will come in handy.
Booooiiiii your welcome :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Logic has a lot of customization available that you can and should do to fit your workflow. Your UB Noizflow is a prime example which saves a lot of time but probably also took a lot of time for you to design (funny that you give it away for free but charge for the skins, should be the other way around IMO). Live pretty much is what you see is what you get. Not a lot of customization and even the more advanced things like racks are almost self explanatory after a short time of use. Logic can take some time of working with it over and over to know and remember what you are doing.

I started in Cubase, switched to Live about 4 years ago, and then gave Logic a whirl about a year or so ago. I enjoyed setting up the customization but I didn't find it intuitive at all on even the most basic of editing. Then I spent a lot of time going through the Logic bible manual and still couldn't find what I was looking for along with trying to guess what Logic might call the function I was looking for "maybe it's called…… no, maybe they call it this….., no". There's also a lot of 3 key shortcuts and drop down menus you need to access. It's a powerful program but there's a lot you need to learn and remember because it isn't obvious.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:26 am

looks deep, but that skin does not help sell it. As I dont use Logic it doesnt matter to you or I that I wont be using it. But just to chime into your "deathmatch" ....
1. Workspace (The UB Noizflo takes it)
When you tweak the sounds in Drumtracks (me I work with an 24" with 1920x1200) you only work in at the bottom of the display using 1/5 of the hole monitor. Let me say it in nice words...thats horrible and must have been developed by Osama Bin Laden to terrorize the Ableton users. So you work at the bottom to tweak the sound and in the browser to feed it with sounds. The browser is resizable thats nice. So at the end in live you work in a L. Maybe thats the price for the clip view.
I am afraid you are very wrong mate.
The workspace for DRUMRACKS is not just in the bottom of the screen. In session view it opens up as its own mixer group with internal sends and returns for each sample/fader. I can save this group with all fx and midi with a drag. Seriously man, can you do that?

The very fact it is contained in the bottom of the screen (in arrangement view) is to me, good for ergonomics. I dont want windows flying all over the place. I remember ctrl + tab, tabbing through millions of screensets very well from Logic.
2. Loading sounds (the UB Noizflow takes it)
Instead of drag 'n dropin the sounds which counts 3 moves you simply load them with a click. Thats three times faster if you preview the sounds on the fly. Which means the beat is playin in a loop and you replace the drum sample while its playin.
I can auditon and replace samples in drum racks using the arrow keys and enter button while in hot-swap mode.This involves NO clicking or dragging after clicking on hot-swap.
4. From one Kit to single outputs (Live Drumtracsk takes it)
I have seen nothing faster.... this is an unbeliveble cool feature of Drumtracks. I wonder if it has a limit.
In the UB Noizflow you can do it with copy and past very "quick" too but compared to Drumtracks its 15x slower.
I think this was already taken care of in response to point number one. If you mean individual channels,I have shown you Its built in for live.
5. Sound mapping orientation (the UB Noizflow takes it)
With the straight and consequent orientation to the GM Drum Map in the UB Noizflow you don't have to think anymore where the sounds are or where to place them and you are very compatible to all Midi files out there.
general midi, general shmidi, whatever.

:wink:
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:26 am

@dna598

True, drum racks offer a great way to save a whole set of tracks etc.

Don't agree at all about the superiority of only two screens.
In Logic you can use either split windows/subwindows like Live or screensets.
It's more options, and less click dragging the subwindows to resize etc.

Auditioning new samples in Drum racks is painfully slow compared to the EXS24 in Logic or Guru etc.
To the point to where I've never bothered using them, not when I have Guru and Battery sitting around.
It's something I would love to see Ableton address personally.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Machinesworking wrote:@dna598

True, drum racks offer a great way to save a whole set of tracks etc.

Don't agree at all about the superiority of only two screens.
In Logic you can use either split windows/subwindows like Live or screensets.
It's more options, and less click dragging the subwindows to resize etc.

Auditioning new samples in Drum racks is painfully slow compared to the EXS24 in Logic or Guru etc.
To the point to where I've never bothered using them, not when I have Guru and Battery sitting around.
It's something I would love to see Ableton address personally.
IMO,

It may not be "superior", but as there are no screensets in Live its a moot point. Its all there in a click of the cell anyway. LOgic users would probably like to think of themselves as superior, but whenever im with my logic friends and displaying the ultimate coolnes of Live, I can see them breaking lol.
Also I have not had any problems (delays/clicks) auditioning and swapping samples while the beat is playing. That means no problems swapping samples, not devices-There is a lag when doing that as it replacing the device.
Seems to work real nice for me, and there is simply no way i'd use a third party vsti and deny myself the wonderful routing in drum racks.

anyway, well done to SPUMD for his template.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:41 pm

dna598 wrote: It may not be "superior", but as there are no screensets in Live its a moot point. Its all there in a click of the cell anyway. LOgic users would probably like to think of themselves as superior, but whenever im with my logic friends and displaying the ultimate coolnes of Live, I can see them breaking lol.
I use both. Logic has the same subwindow type features since 8, Logic has simply more choices this way, and on a daily basis, it's far better to have screensets than to not have them. In Live's case they could simply make 'snapshots', that would save a ton of time for me. Say all devices shown, and all hidden, and piano roll to full screen with a key command etc. Live loses points ergonomically and UI wise once you're fully familiar with the program compared to Logic or other DAWs. It's great out the door, everything is intuitive, but the trade off, or shortcoming IMO is they don't offer advanced UI features. It's still my main DAW, but it's one thing that I miss big time when working on fleshing out initial ideas. The typical statement made by plenty of people is it's great for coming up with ideas, and bad for finishing them up etc. IMO this is all about the UI being geared towards initial friendliness and ease of use without any back up or advanced GUI features.
Also I have not had any problems (delays/clicks) auditioning and swapping samples while the beat is playing. That means no problems swapping samples, not devices-There is a lag when doing that as it replacing the device.
Seems to work real nice for me, and there is simply no way i'd use a third party vsti and deny myself the wonderful routing in drum racks.
It's simply slower than GURU or in Logic the EXS, both are instant, no double clicking or hitting return etc. for whatever reason Ableton decided to give an extra step to the auditioning of samples in the browser a while back, and it's a PITA IMO. Beyond that yeah drum racks are pretty cool.
anyway, well done to SPUMD for his template.
Agreed, I love Live, and Logic is cool too, Digital Performer 7 also is a great DAW. I'm pretty much amazed at them all, and yeah, I could tell you all about the crappy parts of all of them. There are trade offs in each one, but they all are great tools. 8)