Fuck After I listened to this I didn't even want to make bea

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

#1thelark

Re: Fuck After I listened to this I didn't even want to make bea

Post by #1thelark » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:13 am

Reminds me of the Macbook Wheel (click).... "everything is just a few hundreds clicks away".

This makes you love your Maschine even more...

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:04 pm

starving student wrote:ts anymore :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u54b7Ac4UOE
ALL THAT just to make a few beats??????????????
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Hello. Did I say "workflow"? I meant "bottleneck", but I digress. Now where was I? Oh yeah, the snare....

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:15 pm

man I looked at my mpc and maschine like parents just don't understand. and dude says this is the fastest workflow you could imagine. we all live in the same world but often in different dimensions.

i think tonight I'm sample this clip and make a quick beat.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:18 pm

starving student wrote:i think tonight I'm sample this clip and make a quick beat.

With the workflow in that video......................................

could take weeks!!!! :mrgreen:
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

SPUMD

Post by SPUMD » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi,
after I noticed that my tutorial became some attantion from this forum i was curios about the reason why Ableton users look at this video.
When I found this thread i was surprised about the kind words and the real cool comments.
With dedication I registered to this forum to give you some support. :mrgreen:
starving student wrote:Fuck After I listened to this I didn't even want to make beats anymore
Sorry man i feel so guilty.
kb420 wrote:ALL THAT just to make a few beats??????????????
Boy I feel you. I was always wondering why Ableton created a manual for Live just to show peopel how to make music with Live.
Boy it's unbelievable.
beats me wrote:Hello. Did I say "workflow"? I meant "bottleneck", but I digress. Now where was I? Oh yeah, the snare....
I see it has beaten you.

starving student wrote:man I looked at my mpc and maschine like parents just don't understand. and dude says this is the fastest workflow you could imagine. we all live in the same world but often in different dimensions.

i think tonight I'm sample this clip and make a quick beat.
I would really appreciate that.

starving student wrote:With the workflow in that video......................................
could take weeks!!!!
Your shure? I watched the video and it feels more like months

So miceies.... the cat is in the house.... i hope you don't lost the big mouth cause I'm here to put somthing dirty inside. :mrgreen:
Wich means i want to give you some nice support.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C8C35DE320

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:34 pm

@SPMUD..

at least your a good sport about it.. but hey, if it works for you, keep at it.. I'm sure it's faster when you do it without explaining every step like in the tutorial.. (i would hope so atleast).. since your here now, i say you owe it to yourself to test Ableton..

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:48 pm

You've got balls, and I like it. :D :D :D

I tell you what, now that you are here to defend yourself, in all fairness maybe you can make a video without any explanations where you just grab some drums sounds, samples, and instruments and construct a beat to show how "fast" and simple it really is.

Maybe something like this for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg35n7bNw74

FWIW, I've never read Live's manual from cover to cover. There may have been a dozen or so items that I simply had to refer to it for, but actually it hasn't been much. I learned the most about the program from the included tutorials and the info view.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:43 pm

nuxnamon wrote:@SPMUD..

at least your a good sport about it.. but hey, if it works for you, keep at it.. I'm sure it's faster when you do it without explaining every step like in the tutorial.. (i would hope so atleast).. since your here now, i say you owe it to yourself to test Ableton..
And then he'd have to change the title of his video to "check out this bullshit". :mrgreen:

I agree Live is the quickest to pick up and start tooling around with, but I've been to studios where producers are using other DAWs and simply through use over hours and hours they blow through things fairly quickly and explaining what they are doing would slow that waaaaaay down.

I didn't watch the whole video but it did seem along the lines of using a third party plug-in that allows for multiple outputs which would need similar set up time even in Live. Not all DAWs (no others?) are blessed with drum racks.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:29 pm

whoa nice one, I didn't realize the guest of honor was here or I'd have come sooner, I think beats gave more benefit of the doubt than I've ever seen before so you get an award for that but now on to reality, as an example or tutorial on workflow for making beats that
video was terrible at best, what it did show was your knowledge base is in tact and you know what you're doing with the tools at hand
no question about it, but it's the fact that you are obviously very knowledgable that takes the failure of this example of workflow over the top, I've only ever seen one video with slower workflow and that was with some guy using sonar. lets take the basics you made a vid for making a very simple beat, nothing complex at all and there's nothing wrong with that artisticly, but your purpose was to give people the fastest workflow imaginable, you even said as much but that was just the opposite more like the slowest workflow imaginable, not only was the whole thing extremely slow but each incremental step in itself was worthy of losing ones creativity during the process.... hands down ableton live is faster than that but I'm not even comparing it to Live so don't take it as a live versus logic thing, I compared it to maschine and the mpc personally, and I'd challenge you with a video myself to see what's faster your self-described 'fastest workflow imaginable' or my own except that every single beat making video on line is faster than yours, no matter the app or hardware so it would be pointless.

ok I have to add that this isn't personal, I don't know you personally, and I very much liked the way you explained things, there are alot of folks out there making tutorials that don't explain nearly enough and leave people scratchin their heads and no one could ever get away with claiming that you do that. thats what I was looking for some good tutorials on logic, but that said, if you were selling that tutorial on the basis of it's purpose and the information/ methods with in it would amount to false advertising.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:21 pm

FWIW, I actually tried to watch it. I got about three minutes in and it made my eyes bleed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:43 pm

i wonder how spmud found out his tutorial was a subject in the lounge.. isn't there a security guard at the door checking for credentials. what kind of lounge is this?. now i feel unsafe talking about anything good fearing my girlfriend might just pop up in the forum or something :lol: .. this forum is like my little getaway..

SPUMD

Post by SPUMD » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:54 am

nuxnamon wrote:@SPMUD..

Hmmm.... I don't know maybe your work faster while you talk and explain things. Aww your right... next time i don't explain anything and work as fast as i can to make people wonder how i did it.
This would be a great tutorial. :lol:

And since I am here I owe nothing to myself. First at all ain't the topic in this thread and second i already checked Live.

Look i don't wanne be to rude to you because you stepped in feelin some kind of responsibility to help a starving student. But if you want to mess without being banged you owe me an objective argument why you think that the thing i'm explaining in the tutorial works faster in Live.
And if i feel that you got the skills and that you know what you talk about i'm gonna check it in Live and analyze if you are right.

BTW: It's no big thing how i found this thread. Youtube told me that the tutorial where dicovered 120 times from an external link--> ableton forum. I copied the url of the tutorial to the search of this forum and here i'am.
kb420 wrote:You've got balls, and I like it. :D :D :D

I tell you what, now that you are here to defend yourself, in all fairness maybe you can make a video without any explanations where you just grab some drums sounds, samples, and instruments and construct a beat to show how "fast" and simple it really is.

Maybe something like this for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg35n7bNw74

FWIW, I've never read Live's manual from cover to cover. There may have been a dozen or so items that I simply had to refer to it for, but actually it hasn't been much. I learned the most about the program from the included tutorials and the info view.
Thanks about balls but looking at the video i got to ask you with all respect...Do you have a brain?
What is the guy doing in the video?
He loaded already some kind of sounds and records his performance.
You can realize this with every DAW available just as fast like the guy did if you have his performance skills. And i have them.

It's not my style to talk bad about someone or put something down but the guy in the video uses the cheapest sounds. Nobody who's in the business would buy this beat in this quality.
But its ok if it is only ment to capture the idea.

So the UB Noizflow starts exactly after you captured the idea and gives you in Logic a way how to change the sounds on the fly and prepare the beat for the final mix.
So talkin' about speed in this workflow is to talk about the way how fast you can move from your idea to the arrangement and the final production. Its the hole process embedded into Logic.

The plugin solutions nowerdays keep the beat inside the plugin...yes you can assign outputs and rout them to your DAW Mixer but you are limited to normally 16 Stereoouts.
In professional productions it is not unnormal that you build your kick or your snare out of two ore three sounds when you are in the sound design process. And if you want to use other dynamics or EQs that the plugin solution you work with doesn't offer you will reach the limit very fast. And than you have to bounce and all the shit.

This is just one example why the Logic Drum Machine Track which is part of the UB Noizflow gives you the oppertunity to trigger 50 Stereo tracks. So the goal is that every Key or pad of your Midi controller/masterkeyboard from A#0 to B4 is assigned to one instrument track inside Logic (and not inside a plugin!!!) so that every drum sound you use is adjustable/ tweakabel in the Logic Mixer (and not inside a plugin mixer!!!). where you have much more opportunities to work with the tools you like and not the ones you have to because your still inside the plugin with your beat.
So with the UB Noizflow you have a very flexible drum machine without the need to deal with nested structures that you have to pay for because the UB Noizflow template is totally free.

At any point of process you are still compatible with any kind of midi file so if you are using Toontracks EZplayer that converts any midi files to the GM standard and where you can just import a hihat pattern from the midi file or something you have endless creative possibilitys to mash up your beats with any style. And you are still inside the structure. you don't have to reassign any keys, everything is already set up and every sound is still routed to and tweakeable in the Logic Mixer.

And it doesn't stop here because the template is set up that you can change all sounds of every of the 50 stereo Tracks on the fly. Just select the Keytrack search for the Key and simply load it with a click.
Thats very comfortable and very fast compared to plugin solutions like Battery or Guru.

This is a new and unusual way to take advantage of different logic features in combination.
And this needs to be explained and you have to understand the interaction between the logic Drum machine-, the Keytracks and the Media Library Tab. And that is what is been explained in the tutorial.

So with all this background it feels really funny when you post a video with a guy that performs sayin "look how fast you can do it with Live".

Man i'm standing in front of you pointing with the finger to the horizont and tellin you to move. :lol:

kb420 wrote:I got about three minutes in and it made my eyes bleed
Maybe you are some kind of jesus freak? :lol:

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:05 am

I think Spumd just stuck it in all your mouths... :lol: