OT: Please help with correct English DONE!!!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
baseinstinct

OT: Please help with correct English DONE!!!

Post by baseinstinct » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:58 pm

The following is my translation of a definition of psychology from Polish into English. I have never been much into psychology, so the choce of terms is intuitive, dictionary and google supported.

I would greatly appreciate help with the style of this sentence, by either just suggesting the most appropriate words or also help with the style.

Psychotherapy is psychosocial interaction/influence/intervention aimed to eliminate/treat/relieve individual’s dysfunctions of mental health, applicable also to reduction and elimination of various kinds of psychic and social functioning disorders of individuals as well as social groups (e.g. family).
Thanks in advance
Last edited by baseinstinct on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

dum

Re: OT: Please help with correct English

Post by dum » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:13 pm

baseinstinct wrote:The following is my translation of a definition of psychology from Polish into English. I have never been much into psychology, so the choce of terms is intuitive, dictionary and google supported.

I would greatly appreciate help with the style of this sentence, by either just suggesting the most appropriate words or also help with the style.

Psychotherapy is psychosocial interaction/influence/intervention aimed to eliminate/treat/relieve individual’s dysfunctions of mental health, applicable also to reduction and elimination of various kinds of psychological and social functioning disorders of individuals as well as social groups (e.g. family).
Thanks in advance
I can't comment on how you define psychotherapy - but I believe the word psychic should be psychological
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:16 pm

Psychotherapy is a psychosocial medical therapy dedicated to the treatment of mental health and the reduction and /or elimination of psychic and social functioning disorders of individuals and social groups (e.g. family).

My take,

Hope that helps!

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Yes, psychic would be for attacks :)

Very good take Tod, simplifies the sentence.

Thanks!!

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:02 pm

I think the translation is rougly okay, still

on second thought, here are my concerns:
Psychotherapy - psychological medical therapy
"medical" does not seem to fit
and without "medical" its explaining unknown by unknown
(Psychotherapy - psychological therapy)
treatment of mental health
hard to find it on google

You rather treat disorders, I guess.

Summing up, just one gap remains
Psychotherapy is a psychosocial _____________ dedicated to the treatment of mental dysfunctions and the reduction or elimination of psychological and social functioning disorders of individuals and social groups (e.g. family)
maybe intervention?

cturner

Post by cturner » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Psychotherapy is a medical practice, focussed on the treatment of mental dysfunction, for the amelioration of psychological and social maladjustment in individuals and social groups such as the family.

shutthatdaw

Post by shutthatdaw » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:24 pm

I think this might be acceptable as a definition, but it's only a guess. Hope it helps you

Psychotherapy is psychosocial interaction/influence/intervention aimed at eliminating/treating/relieving an individual’s mental dysfunctions, as well as various kinds of psychological and social disorders of individuals and social groups (e.g. family).

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:13 am

Thank you very much guys. Now I think I have enough material to compile something neat.

Cheers!

T