how big an impostor are you?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
leedsquietman

Re: how big an impostor are you?

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:43 pm

edit : I bored myself to death with my bio :)

I am fairly experienced as a musician (guitar, keys, bass), did music technology courses and one time tape op and engineer in some medium sized studios many moons ago in analogue and ADAT times and amateur-semi pro home recordist/mixer/mastering jobs etc. Not enough so that I work professionally in it.

:cry:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:40 pm

uff, i don't know i am with leeds on the "I bored myself to death with my bio" issue, i think i did nearly everything in and around audio possible... started with sound for events and live concerts, then studio, recording, production, a tiny bit of 'mastering' etc. (which becomes harder and harder, up to impossible these days to live from, as leeds mentioned) writing and composing some music for TV and cinema adds, that has always been complimented with party promotion activities (i believe i have a little talent for organising stuff, that is why i have a lot of enjoyment doing the ableton live user group berlin meetings as well) and DJ-ing (that is where my heart still beats... faster) right now i still play a bit here and there (just came back from prague, cz and bratislava, sk, where i gave a little workshop / intro of ableton live before the gig as well) for the fun of it and i try to get into doing sound design and editing for TV and Film as a freelancer right now, which is tough... very tough.

ai, i nearly forgot that i co-designed and managed / used to run (bookings, programming, etc.) a club for nearly 2 years with my girlfriend together in bratislava the soniclab, a place for electronic music that i say with confidence is still unmatched. http://www.myspace.com/soniclabbratislava that had to close down unfortunately because of "mafia" landlord issues, otherwise i would be probably still living in slovakia!?

my problem is i have a very low boredom threshold and need permanent excitement and action (i am a speedy gonzales by nature and talk and act fast like a machine gun)... therefor i like to do loads of different things at once within the great and still fun world of audio.

cheers
axel

Bratislava, Nu Spirit Club 13-02-2010
*** Image GAFM ***

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:04 am

SubFunk wrote: i nearly forgot that i co-designed and managed / used to run (bookings, programming, etc.) a club for nearly 2 years with my girlfriend together in bratislava

Well, this statement alone garners a 6 or 7 for the ability to start anecdotes with "Ah, now; when I was managing this club in bratislava...".

If you are still with the girlfriend, then it is at least a seven, maybe an eight, and then maybe more if you are *not* still with the girlfriend and there was sufficient angst as a result to inspire several tracks :D :P

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:58 am

mikemc wrote:
SubFunk wrote: i nearly forgot that i co-designed and managed / used to run (bookings, programming, etc.) a club for nearly 2 years with my girlfriend together in bratislava

Well, this statement alone garners a 6 or 7 for the ability to start anecdotes with "Ah, now; when I was managing this club in bratislava...".

If you are still with the girlfriend, then it is at least a seven, maybe an eight, and then maybe more if you are *not* still with the girlfriend and there was sufficient angst as a result to inspire several tracks :D :P
well, then it's a seven here... :lol: still with her :P
*** Image GAFM ***

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:24 am

d
SubFunk wrote:
mikemc wrote:

well, then it's a seven here... :lol: still with her :P
ah, no, you get an eight then for answering with integrity :lol:

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:01 am

you'd be really an impostor if you were well known, selling tracks and shows, and had actually no talent or intrument skills...

writing your OP you can't be an impostor.

speaking about ME, MYSELF and I... well... I'm just more a wannabe than an impostor I guess :lol:

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:01 am

monstrejumo wrote:you'd be really an impostor if you were well known, selling tracks and shows, and had actually no talent or intrument skills...
Exactement! Vous voyez l'essence. :)

speaking about ME, MYSELF and I... well... I'm just more a wannabe than an impostor I guess :lol:
well certainly we are all :D

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:36 pm

I am not a musician. I can vaguely press the keys and work out an order. given enough time I could put something together that was pleasant however I never claim to be any thing other than that musician wise.

unfortunately I don't have the time for production so much with the radio show and the record label. with that in mind I spend a lot of time looking for music and working with music. which if anything shows me that there are millions of producers and musicians who are fundamentally better at putting something together that is pleasant.

I love footering with making music and if I get the bug I can whip up a track. if it is good by accident then so be it if it is crap then at least I had fun listening to that 2 bar loop for 4 hours.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Exactement! Vous voyez l'essence.
:mrgreen:

"Exactly! You see the gasoline." :lol:

should make a new lounge thread with only automatic translations into english, would be funny?

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:17 pm

monstrejumo wrote:
Exactement! Vous voyez l'essence.
:mrgreen:

"Exactly! You see the gasoline." :lol:
I was if course using "gasoline" as a metaphor.... :oops: :) :lol:

But What better discourse to occur in a thread about impostor than that artificially translated!!? :) I am being a "meta impostor", you see. :P

should make a new lounge thread with only automatic translations into english, would be funny?
I like it!

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:57 pm

UKRuss wrote:I am one half of Daft Punk (along with Timothy Allan) so my name isn't Russ and in that sense, I impost.
It's true, although we've never seen each other without helmets on and we never speak other than via SMS.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:16 am

timothyallan wrote:
UKRuss wrote:I am one half of Daft Punk (along with Timothy Allan) so my name isn't Russ and in that sense, I impost.
It's true, although we've never seen each other without helmets on and we never speak other than via SMS.
awright, ok, ok... you guys must be looking for the "are you a liar?" thread.

abort

Post by abort » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:26 am

-8 for me as if I could or want to care. I create only to buzz the shitty pop music from work out of my brain, like to vent. Christmas songs are the only thing I could play on the piano if that because its been way to long. I would love to play or learn classical or know truly how to improvise but for now I just track sounds and sometimes make something interesting rarely do I have something to show for it, but I enjoy the shock factor and would maybe one day make a statement a message that might change one mouse's life : )

why should I write an intro to a shitty song that took 5 hours of my life to do!

I don't have issues just other hobbies and interests so why would you ask this question what does this do for you? thanks Mike! :D

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:14 pm

abort wrote: I don't have issues just other hobbies and interests so why would you ask this question what does this do for you? thanks Mike! :D
mainly, i thought it would be amusingly meaningless yet have some insinuation of meaningfulness.

i mean, here we are hanging out in a lounge which is not at all a lounge and we make music without instruments. :)

abort

Post by abort » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:11 pm

:D I hope you know that I am joking.

Thinking that most here are extremely creative and that music might be the closets match or possibly the fastest route to creative elevation.
Simplistic mindless fun is better when not subconsciously thought of as a accomplishment but some people are just really damn good at it ..to not take notice.