Is Ozone 4 much better than Ozone 3

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Rave

Is Ozone 4 much better than Ozone 3

Post by Rave » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:35 pm

I have Ozone 3 and am considering upgrading to version 4
What are the major differences and what advantages do they bring?

please thank you

SubFunk

Re: Is Ozone 4 much better than Ozone 3

Post by SubFunk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:40 pm

i heard it comes now with the super loud button instead of the only loud button.

well worth an upgrade i guess.
*** Image GAFM ***

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:54 pm

why is the forum full of lazy people that would rather have someone tell them the answer to their questions even though they could easily find it themselves?

for instance... if Rave went to izotope's site and to the ozone page and clicked on the "What's new in Ozone 4" link, he would've come to this page:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/o ... atures.asp

no offense Rave!

anyway, there's the answers to your questions. i think it was well worth the upgrade price.
Last edited by McQ714 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:57 pm

McQ714 wrote:why is the forum full of lazy people that would rather have someone tell them the answer to their questions even though they could easily find it themselves?

for instance... if the OP went to izotope's site and to the ozone page and clicked on the "What's new in Ozone 4" link, he would've come to this page:

because the new hidden super loud button feature is not mentioned on the site?

and that is where the sugar is.
*** Image GAFM ***

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:06 pm

McQ714 wrote:why is the forum full of lazy people that would rather have someone tell them the answer to their questions even though they could easily find it themselves?

for instance... if Rave went to izotope's site and to the ozone page and clicked on the "What's new in Ozone 4" link, he would've come to this page:

no offense Rave!

anyway, there's the answers to your questions. i think it was well worth the upgrade price.

I have already been testing the ten day trial fella. Thanks though :)

I just wanted other peoples opinions as I am not so 'audio' savvy

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:53 pm

SubFunk wrote:

They call it intelligent 2. Tis quite good actually :oops:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Rave wrote:
SubFunk wrote:

hey man, you know me, i was joking. cause you know what i think of those apps, i'd rather get (use) a nice editor and some real decent plugs.

or leave that whole loudness war hell hole all alone... all that crap is only pushing levels anyway. sound is something different.

not going to start a discussion here, my state of mind regarding that is well known around here, so don't expect any serious answer from me about t-racks or ozone.

just my very personal 2cents
*** Image GAFM ***

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:15 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Rave wrote:
SubFunk wrote:

hey man, you know me, i was joking. cause you know what i think of those apps, i'd rather get (use) a nice editor and some real decent plugs.

or leave that whole loudness war hell hole all alone... all that crap is only pushing levels anyway. sound is something different.

not going to start a discussion here, my state of mind regarding that is well known around here, so don't expect any serious answer from me about t-racks or ozone.

just my very personal 2cents
Totally understood my friend. :) FYI there was an element of tongue and check in my original reply.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:27 pm

It contains 'Spinal Tap amp on 11' preset and 'Metallica - Death Magnetic' preset in the limiter both with legal disclaimers you have to check before using them ;)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Rave wrote:I have Ozone 3 and am considering upgrading to version 4
What are the major differences and what advantages do they bring?

please thank you
the "intelligent 2" algorithm for the loudnessmaximizer was worth the upgrade for me totally.
it sounds so transparent and clear it's amazing(mind you,i don't squash the frakking life out of my masters,i love a wide dynamic range.it brings forth the music and makes love to my eardrums).
the rest of Ozone 4 i never use.

the only thing i heard that sounded better was voxengo's Elephant.

it really depends on what you actually need.do you need an all-in-one mastering toolkit,or just a good loudnessmaximizer?
if the latter is the case,i would suggest Voxengo Elephant.

best,

Wasili

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Ozone 4's limiter is one of the best I've heard, just barely behind Elephant IMO.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
InnerPortalStudio.com - Professional Audio Mastering

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:11 pm

i tend to use the presets in ozone 4, but i always change what ever compression setting the preset uses to soft-knee because it still forces me to turn the gain down on at least the master channel. i've always got izotope's latest alloy and i use that quite a bit on individual drum and percussion tracks... not so much on synths or basses.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Tarekith wrote:Ozone 4's limiter is one of the best I've heard, just barely behind Elephant IMO.
8O

I actually thought its limiter was what let it down the most :?

Maybe I just didnt use it enough to find its sweet spot - I have to admit I only downloaded the demo version and while thinking it is actually quite a decent all in one for the price, it was most tarred by its limiter (relative to the UAD precision limiter that I normally use). The only other software maximizer/limiter that I have found (I have never tried Waves stuff) that actually comes close is the UAD maximizer - not surpising, its limiting algorythm is probably very similar, and maybe even slighly more abusable before the onset of audiable artifiacts.

Possibly my favorite bit of Ozone 4 was the multi band processing, especially imaging, but I'd much rather have an SPL Mk2-T vitalizer for the combination of stereo width and enhancement. As for the multi-band compressor, give me the UAD precision multi-band any day - maybe Im just far more used to working with it on the occasion at actually wanting to fiddle with a multi-band comp.

For its overall asking price Ozone 4 isnt bad - provides all of what alot of people could possibly need, and you could very easily do a hell of alot worse.

Ive heard good thhing about the elephant limiter, but confess to not having tried it.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:08 pm

I did a shootout late last year of all the OSX based limiters, and Elephant and Ozone 4's were by far the most transparent to my ears. Precision Limiter was my go to for years (back when I had a UAD card), and probably is pulling a close 3rd place. My main concern when judging was transparency and how well did the soundstage get retained. Some limiters can dial in a lot more volume (if that's your thing), but it seems to affect the imaging and front to back depth of sounds. Ozone surprised me to be honest, I'd get it just for the Limiter and excellent MBIT+ dithering, and not use much else most of the time.

Elephant is a really, really nice limiter, but it's not the easiest thing to get the best results out of. Has way more controls and ability to match the source material than anything else I've used, but as a result it's easy to really trash your signal is you're not sure what you're doing. Goes from awesome to crap very quickly, strong bass notes and kicks can distort easily if you dial in too much limiting with the wrong algorithm. Where as I could see someone dialing in a preset in Ozone and getting an ok result, I think in elephant it might be hit or miss in a lot of cases. If you're willing to really spend the time learning all the controls though (and how they sound), then I think it's a much more versatile and clean tool.
Last edited by Tarekith on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
InnerPortalStudio.com - Professional Audio Mastering

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Well I must say I love the the new Ozone now.

I was making quite a lot of mistakes in my old presets until I decided to stop being lazy and understand what each one was doing. I am no expert but I uncovered lots of bad stuff in previous mixes / masters and am going through some tracks with great enthusiasm 'fixing' everything.

I have to agree with you Tarekith the new limiter and the dithering is cleary better. I also love the way I can split the master reverb to mid and sides.

Me = very happy bunny.