My first international live gig

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
ollyb303

My first international live gig

Post by ollyb303 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:46 pm

So, I've got my first international solo gig coming up on 12th March in Brno, Czech Republic:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=313643331206

Any tips about airport security and boxes full of wires and circuitry, etc??? Haven't played in mainland europe since 2001 when I was one half of a techno double-act and we drove... never had to take my gear on a plane before.

Thankfully I'll be staying at a friend's place in Prague, so I've got a local guide, but anything I should see while I'm there (staying 4 days)?

I'm proper excited!! Got another coming up in Portugal next month as well : )
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Pitch Black

Re: My first international live gig

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:50 pm

Congrats on the gig!

Put as much gear you feel you can safely wrap up/pad out with clothing in your checked baggage, and take just your laptop on the plane with you.

Do you know if need a work permit for this gig? Check with the promoter and make sure he gets you one if it's required, or if you need one and can't get one, be prepared to take as little "equipment" as possible and pretend to be a tourist at immigration, in the very unlikely event you get the questions from the customs people. A laptop is perfectly common these days for everyone to carry.

Disclaimer: I've no idea of the EU work situation for you, as a Brit. I might be being too paranoid here... anyone?

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Pitch Black wrote:I might be being too paranoid here... anyone?
yes you are. It is "United States of Europe" so no need for work permit, anyway they are more relaxed then anywhere else on the Continent.

All you need are the correct plugs, take your own power strip so you would need just one adaptor. It will be fun, Prague is fabulous, I love that whole country, people are great, so much more relaxed compared to Germany and the rest of the West. They love and appreciate music,plenty of great food/drinks/ and places to enjoy them, all at reasonable prices, stunning females... what else you want?

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:22 am

rikhyray wrote:All you need are the correct plugs
Plugs!!! Of course. Shit man. Last time I played over in Europe we took our own generator (warehouse parties) - good job you got my back!

Thanks Paddy as well.
ob1techno.com

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:35 am

rikhyray wrote:stunning females... what else you want?
Them to stop physically grabbing me by the arm in the streets of Prague, saying by rote: "helloboyssexblowjob?"
My partner Mike checked out a second hand shop full of Soviet-era artifacts, after finding something he wanted to buy, the bloke behind the counter suggested he come back later for a sexual liason (and a discount). :lol:

Beautiful city, tho :D

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:08 am

Pitch Black wrote:
Them to stop physically grabbing me by the arm in the streets of Prague, saying by rote: "helloboyssexblowjob?"
My partner Mike checked out a second hand shop full of Soviet-era artifacts, after finding something he wanted to buy, the bloke behind the counter suggested he come back later for a sexual liason (and a discount). :lol:

What more could you ask for??

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 am

congrats on the gig mate!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:43 am

Pitch Black wrote:

I meant those coming backstage and "very nice show, do you have any CDs..../we have a party @.... would you like to join/what you doing tomorrow...", not some Moldavian hookers on the streets.
The stunning Czech (or any other nationality) ladies do not need/have to/ do stand on the streets offering blow jobs.
If you look, behave like a tourist, stranger, bring attention to yourself the criminals will notice you in any city in the world. Finding easy victim is what they do.
I never have problems of this kind (old days NYC was the best training, control/adjust your attitude to situation, survived there can survive anywhere) unless in company of some musician, girlfriend who would unconsciously "call attention". It is really simple once you know the mechanics of it. Anyway all those tactics are more relevant in Rio,Moscow, Mexico City or Bangkok but not anywhere in Czech republic , unles you look for trouble, in that case you can find it anywhere.

Rave

Post by Rave » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:25 pm

Brill news fella. Besides adapters do u have a power conditioner?

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:32 pm

Rave wrote:Brill news fella. Besides adapters do u have a power conditioner?
Hmmm, not a conditioner as such - I do use a surge protector, but it doesn't specifically regulate the voltage. Hoping that will be ok for my laptop and my controllers are all battery powered!
ob1techno.com

Rave

Post by Rave » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:33 pm

ollyb303 wrote:
Hmmm, not a conditioner as such - I do use a surge protector, but it doesn't specifically regulate the voltage. Hoping that will be ok for my laptop and my controllers are all battery powered!
Sounds like u r covered. Don't forget to take pics and add me on facebook :)

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:31 am

added :D
ob1techno.com

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:03 pm

ollyb303 wrote:So, I've got my first international solo gig coming up on 12th March in Brno, Czech Republic:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=313643331206

Any tips about airport security and boxes full of wires and circuitry, etc??? Haven't played in mainland europe since 2001 when I was one half of a techno double-act and we drove... never had to take my gear on a plane before.

Thankfully I'll be staying at a friend's place in Prague, so I've got a local guide, but anything I should see while I'm there (staying 4 days)?

I'm proper excited!! Got another coming up in Portugal next month as well : )
congrats olly,

nice one... brno is cool, i just hope that it is not the guys from perpetuum club doing the party, they suck. (real motherfucking assholes!)

and i know you are not into money, but be aware they are super fuckers when it comes to paying you, fight for what you agreed upon, at least do it for us that make a living from it, don't let it just go... it fucks up the whole environment.

about electricity, you need a standard europe 2 pin adapters, same as in germany, etc.... and be prepared that they give a shit reading your techrider...

enough cables, including power etc. is advised, otherwise you will have a blast, beautiful woman, they drink like fish and party like there is no tomorrow... only promoters are the ones a to watch out for!!! and taxi drivers will try to rip you off like you have never been before, only unless you speak czech or slovak, otherwise take a cab with a local... you will otherwise easy pay 6 - 8 timers the normal rate.

you say you gonna visit prague, too? bukanyr is a cool place, a boat for parties on the river danube, zero is the best bar, but closed until september over the summer... and then there is radost fx, a good house club and 24h veggie food in the cafe above, roxy is oldskool but a shithole and boring, a must place / club to see in prague is cross, a club completely designed with kinetic art and the best soundsystem in town!!!

brno has not all to much in terms of that, it is a student town and there is fledder (huge club) and perpetuum, which sucks balls.

however, have fun... if you need any further info , don't hesitate to PM me, i lived in the "neighbourhood" there for 5 years and played in brno and prague several times... i know many people there and what i am talking about.

cheers, have fun.
axel
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 pm

ollyb303 wrote:
you don't need a conditioner, it is as save as in germany, just a standard europe two pin adapter, and off you go... rocking!
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:38 pm

one more thing... i know you like shenanigans as well (from the pic you posted ones of yourself), there is stuff around in czech republic and slovakia called 'pervetin' (not 100% sure about the spelling) but basically it is the most evil form of speed and crystal meth is chocolate for children in comparison, stay away from that stuff, everything else is OK to have some fun, that stuff, pervetin will ultimately fuck you right up. mark my words!, i know dozens of people that screwed from it, badly!

it is dead cheap and will be for sure offered to you!
*** Image GAFM ***