Question about Audacity.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Peripatetic

Question about Audacity.

Post by Peripatetic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:56 pm

This is completely unrelated to Live but I'm asking it here because you guys rule at answering questions and knowing stuff.

I have a friend who is a dance team coach. She is looking for a program to use for cutting songs, editing tempo and connecting them. She's obviously not looking to spend much money so recommending that she pick up Live 8 would be a bad idea. This is her actual description of what she needs to do:

I need to splice it, alter tempo, possibly overlay tracks…nothing extremely complicated but hopefully easy to navigate! Last time I had Mixmeister and it was kind of lame…rather easy to use but was hard to get to a quality end product. And it cost like $50.

Would Audacity do those things? I've never actually used it, but from reading through their site, it looks like it might do exactly what she needs for free.

Or, maybe someone knows something that would work better (or be easier for her to use). She'd probably be willing to pay if need be, but I would guess she'd want to keep it at least under $100.

Thoughts?
iMac, Ableton Suite 8, NI Komplete 7, NI Maschine, NI Kore 2, Reason 5, Arturia V-Collection, Akai APC40, Novation SL49 MKII, Akai MPK88, NI Audio Kontrol 1

#1thelark

Re: Question about Audacity.

Post by #1thelark » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:58 pm

How about Live Intro? Warping should be possible with Intro, I guess?

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Audacity is a good editor and it will do all those things. It might not be as easy as more expensive programs. So at some point, the time required to prepare tracks might make something more expensive start looking appealing.

Peripatetic

Post by Peripatetic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm

TroyP wrote:Audacity is a good editor and it will do all those things. It might not be as easy as more expensive programs. So at some point, the time required to prepare tracks might make something more expensive start looking appealing.
That's what I was a little afraid of. Looking at the site, I thought, "yeah, this seems like it would be pretty easy to do". But I don't know if it would be easy for her.
iMac, Ableton Suite 8, NI Komplete 7, NI Maschine, NI Kore 2, Reason 5, Arturia V-Collection, Akai APC40, Novation SL49 MKII, Akai MPK88, NI Audio Kontrol 1

Peripatetic

Post by Peripatetic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:09 pm

#1thelark wrote:How about Live Intro? Warping should be possible with Intro, I guess?
I'm a little worried about the system requirements if she was to use Intro. I forgot to mention that. She's on my old Powerbook G4 that I gave her. 10.4.11, 512 MB RAM, not sure the processor. So Intro, would be cutting it pretty close.

dum

Post by dum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:30 pm

this is a job for Reaper.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

$60 for a non-commercial license, she should probably also pick up a copy of audacity for herself too.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Peripatetic

Post by Peripatetic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:08 pm

dum wrote:this is a job for Reaper.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

$60 for a non-commercial license, she should probably also pick up a copy of audacity for herself too.
I can't seem to find system requirements on the cockos site? I see that it works with 10.4 but nothing about processor or RAM.

dum

Post by dum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:21 pm

for the chores you described, I can't foresee the system specs of your old G4 being an issue.
Try the demo and see how that goes for you\her.

I'd be surprised if a Reaper/Audacity combo isn't exactly what she's looking for...
Might be worth your time posting a message on the Reaper forum.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Peripatetic

Post by Peripatetic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:23 pm

dum wrote:for the chores you described, I can't foresee the system specs of your old G4 being an issue.
Try the demo and see how that goes for you\her.

I'd be surprised if a Reaper/Audacity combo isn't exactly what she's looking for...
Might be worth your time posting a message on the Reaper forum.
Cool. Will do. Thanks for your help.

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Is she hot? I'll do it :twisted:
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

Peripatetic

Post by Peripatetic » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:37 pm

v0ins315 wrote:Is she hot? I'll do it :twisted:
Yes. Unfortunately I know her through her husband who sits next to me at work.

: Dang Face :

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:31 am

Peripatetic wrote:

well...you could always offer to do it for her and score lots of points with her friends

in the end though a bottle or a case should do it just fine
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Peripatetic wrote:

Ya...friends wife = off limits.
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins